Bevell's empty set was the death of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Butler jumped the route . . . Even more ridiculous than the decision to throw rather than run it half a yard for the easy TD, was Bevell's decision to go with his now infamous empty set, when we could have at least forced the defense to key on Marshawn Lynch in the backfield.

"I saw Wilson looking over there [toward the receivers]," Butler said. "He kept his head still and just looked over there, so that gave me a clue. And the stacked receivers, I just knew they were going to throw. My instincts, I just went with it, just went with my mind and made the play."

Butler said in an interview with ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" on Monday morning that his work in practice helped him to recognize the play.

"At practice, the scout team ran that same play and I got beat on it. [Coach] Bill [Belichick] told me, 'You've got to be on that.' At that time [of the play], memorization came through," he said. "I just jumped the route. I just made a play. Just do your job -- do it the best way you can. I just did my job."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/st ... kill-clock

Status
Not open for further replies.