The Cold Hard Reality of The Seahawks Going Forward

Playmaker21

Reaction score
It is not time for over reaction theater in the 12th man nation. But it is time to realize a few truths that many of our fellow fans don't want to admit.

#1 Russell Wilson is not worth 20 + million a year
Take it from a former Rams fan. Do not over pay for a QB. It kills your team. You would never pay Byron Maxwell like you pay Richard Sherman. So don't pay an above average QB like Wilson like you would Aaron Rodgers. Do what Brady does and take around 14 or 15 million but make it a flexible contract where you can restructure to sign key free agents or keep current Seahawks.

#2 The Defensive Line is in need of a serious influx of talent
I think we can all agree the 2014 Seahawks Defensive Line is worse than the 2013 version. They were exposed in this year's playoffs against better teams. Especially with their lack or ability to get at the QB. I think Avril is a good complementary edge guy. But is nowhere in the range of a Robert Quinn or Cameron Wake. And the lack of internal pressure from the DT position was evident all year. Especially after Mebane went out for the year.

#3 Byron Maxwell is not worth the money he will get on the open market
The Corner Back position has been depleted by free agency for this team. So I believe fans are over rating bringing back Maxwell. When you have an All Pro CB like Richard Sherman opposite of you, you have a lot of opportunities to make plays. Kind of like Antonio Cromartie who played opposite of Patrick Peterson in Arizona and Darrelle Revis in New York. Maxwell is a liability that is exposed game after game. QB's are not afraid to throw at him.

#4 Winning Teams Don't Pay 29 Year Old RB's
I love what Marshawn Lynch has done for this franchise. He is the greatest RB in our franchises history. But winning franchises do not pay 29 year old RB's top dollar. Do we not remember how Lynch had numerous nagging injuries throughout this year? Add another year on his life and you think he will get healthier? I'm not saying Turbin and Michael are the answer. But drafting at #31 will put you in a good spot to draft your best RB in this draft. But bottom line is the RB position is one that teams are finding more gems in the middle and later rounds. Demarco Murray was a 3rd round pick. Arian Foster was an undrafted free agent. Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, and Le'Veon Bell were all 2nd round picks. Once again take it from a former Rams fan. Do not pay aging players for what they have done. But what they can still do. Rams were ruined when they payed a washed up Marshall Faulk, Orlando Pace, and Adam Timmerman.

soxhawk

Reaction score
Playmaker21":20fy4q6c said:
It is not time for over reaction theater in the 12th man nation. But it is time to realize a few truths that many of our fellow fans don't want to admit.

Take it from a former Rams fan. Do not over pay for a QB. It kills your team. You would never pay Byron Maxwell like you pay Richard Sherman. So don't pay an above average QB like Wilson like you would Aaron Rodgers. Do what Brady does and take around 14 or 15 million but make it a flexible contract where you can restructure to sign key free agents or keep current Seahawks.

I think we can all agree the 2014 Seahawks Defensive Line is worse than the 2013 version. They were exposed in this year's playoffs against better teams. Especially with their lack or ability to get at the QB. I think Avril is a good complementary edge guy. But is nowhere in the range of a Robert Quinn or Cameron Wake. And the lack of internal pressure from the DT position was evident all year. Especially after Mebane went out for the year.

The Corner Back position has been depleted by free agency for this team. So I believe fans are over rating bringing back Maxwell. When you have an All Pro CB like Richard Sherman opposite of you, you have a lot of opportunities to make plays. Kind of like Antonio Cromartie who played opposite of Patrick Peterson in Arizona and Darrelle Revis in New York. Maxwell is a liability that is exposed game after game. QB's are not afraid to throw at him.

I love what Marshawn Lynch has done for this franchise. He is the greatest RB in our franchises history. But winning franchises do not pay 29 year old RB's top dollar. Do we not remember how Lynch had numerous nagging injuries throughout this year? Add another year on his life and you think he will get healthier? I'm not saying Turbin and Michael are the answer. But drafting at #31 will put you in a good spot to draft your best RB in this draft. But bottom line is the RB position is one that teams are finding more gems in the middle and later rounds. Demarco Murray was a 3rd round pick. Arian Foster was an undrafted free agent. Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, and Le'Veon Bell were all 2nd round picks. Once again take it from a former Rams fan. Do not pay aging players for what they have done. But what they can still do. Rams were ruined when they payed a washed up Marshall Faulk, Orlando Pace, and Adam Timmerman.

Glad you're not our GM! We'll be just fine. There are 32 teams that have to regroup. We're in better shape than most. Patriots get to look back at the last ten years, we get to look forward to it. Be proud of your Hawks!

kjreid

Reaction score
Wow, wrong on 4 for 4 items, maybe you are a Jets GM. Seriously, Wilson is worth 22 million a year, Defensive line can use one more person and when they had a heatlhy Avril they were in good shape during the game and season. Maxwell will be paid what he is worth and he is a good DB in FA. Winning teams play winning running backs, what part of Lynch's game shows that he needs to be replaced?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Some of you should just stop posting. Nothing you just said makes any sence. Did you even watch this team, this year, or just the playoffs? Hill is going to be back, and he's a stud. We'll see about Mebane, though I hope he's back next year. Wilson is worth the money, and if your not a Wilson fan go be a fan of another team, because I'm happy to break it to you, he's going to be here for a long time. Maxwell, well that depends on how much he wants, but I bet we get it done.

As for marshawn, you should get a kick to the nuts for not wanting him back.

You did choice the name playmaker21, two guys who hate the Hawks.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Although it's generally true HBs fall off at 30, there's been plenty who have gone on well into their mid 30s. Few things we know about Lynch. One, he's not the norm. It almost seems like he's becoming more Beastly. Two, he's not a player that's going to get paid and stop giving effort. He might give the most effort on a single play than any other player in the league. I say pay the man.

Whatever happens all I can say is it truly was special and a treat to have him as our back for the past 5 years. He'll always be one of my favorite Hawks.

KatarHol

Reaction score
It takes a special kind of talent to go 0-4 like that. Congrats OP

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Playmaker21":2pbw7npt said:

1. Agreed, and I am hoping Russell's deal will be a bit more reasonable than the numbers being thrown around right now.
2. The D-line was on fumes, and depleted by injuries. Hill had a bunch of sacks in the middle before he got hurt, and the bst stretch the d-line had was after Wagner returned.
3. Maxwell will not get paid by the Hawks what he will get on the open market. What he is worth is a different matter. He is a good cover 3 corner, at a position where we can develop talent. If he chooses to take less is the only way he stays in Seattle.
4. No length of terms were ever announced on Lynch. Besides, extensions are only worth the guaranteed money in years 2,3,and 4, so it isn't always a bad idea. The guy just led the league in TDs and broke more tackles than any other time in his career. As long as the contract makes it easy to let him go any time after he falls off the old running back cliff, it can be a good deal.

Boycie

Reaction score
Playmaker21":mg1ryg8z said:

Take it from a former Rams fan.

This^ is where I stopped reading the Post. Find another bandwagon to jump on. I am sure the pats have room on theirs.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If you don't think Russ is not worth whatever the hell he gets, then you're out of your god damn mind.

How many QBs have taken their team to multiple Super Bowls and the playoffs every year in a tough division? Russ and only Russ.

You're over thinking this like Bevell

BlueBlood

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2zjusimd said:
If you don't think Russ is not worth whatever the hell he gets, then you're out of your god damn mind.

How many QBs have taken their team to multiple Super Bowls and the playoffs every year in a tough division? Russ and only Russ.

To hell with Bevell.. What an idiot!!

As far as Russell goes, he gets paid. What an incredible 3 year start to a career!

SeaChase

Reaction score
SonicHawk":30kegrep said:

This team wouldn't win half the games if it wasn't for the great defense plain and simple. 2 games in a row Wilson didn't even have a completion until the second quarter...

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SonicHawk":10a6i9gn said:

All you have to know is "take it from a Rams fan."

His team paid big money for a QB that lives on IR, so he's naturally gun shy. That doesn't apply to us. We have a very durable QB that has more 'it' factor in his pinky and brings way more to the table than Bradford, who needs near-perfect protection from his OL to survive half of a season.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SeaChase":1de2p41r said:
SonicHawk":1de2p41r said:

This team wouldn't win half the games if it wasn't for the great defense plain and simple. 2 games in a row Wilson didn't even have a completion until the second quarter...

Here comes Sea Case again. Wilson doesn't catch his own passes. He needs open guys to accomplish that. How quickly we forget how he well had us rolling once Richardson started understanding things. Wilson does wonders with the 3rd string-level WRs and mediocre TE we have.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
John Schneider is one of the best GM's in the NFL. I'm sure he's got this handled.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Without Russell Wilson, the Hawks win 8 or 9 games.

If you don't think that makes him worth what the other top QBs are making, I don't know what will convince you at this point.

Everyone wants him to make less so we have more money for other areas. But that's just not realistic. He's earned it.

MVP53

Reaction score
What is the alternative to paying Wilson? You want to go back to a decade of QB purgatory? You remember the period of time between Dave Krieg & Matt Hasselbeck?

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
1. Huge LOL. basically every other fan base except maybe 3 would kill for Russell Wilson and would pay him first born children.

2. Agreed though it isn't as bad as we needed after the Atlanta loss. We had a ton of injuries this year and just having some of those guys back as well as a couple new faces is gonna help.

3. Maxwell will be gone, most likely. Just like Tate last year, we just won't be able to afford what others will give him.

4. I think if we give him a reasonable extension for 2-3 years that is relatively team friendly (as he knows how tough the RB market is), it will be ok. Besides he has never actually topped 20 carriers per game over a full season so I think, with some good RB depth, he could be a weapon for a couple more seasons.

Latest posts