Can I defend Pete Carroll for that last decision?

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20...thus I'd like to take a shot at defending Pete's decision to make a passing play in that situation. Note that I am NOT going to discuss their choice of play itself, but rather the decision to throw as opposed to running it.

Running the ball was clearly the obvious play and I was shocked even when I saw the Hawks spread out without Lynch in the backfield myself.

But I believe I understand what Pete's thinking was in choosing to run a passing play. He was attempting to preserve the possibility he might need all three plays to score.

Remember...it was 2nd and goal at the 2 yard line with only 1 timeout remaining. That means the Hawks could possibly have THREE shots at the end zone...but it would be extremely difficult, even with the one timeout, to execute three running plays in 26 seconds. No matter how you slice it, if the Seahawks do not run one passing play out of those three possible attempts then they run a big risk of only being able to take two shots at the end zone with a high likelihood of time running out before the guys can line up and get off the final play.

If you run a passing play that goes incomplete on 2nd down, then the Hawks can run on 3rd down and can call a timeout if they don't score.

If you execute a run play on 2nd down and get stopped they would probably have to call the timeout. And then on third down, even though you stopped the clock on the previous play, if they run and get stopped again things would get extremely squeezed by time for their last play.

The way Pete did it - assuming there is no turnover - this sequence was a the best way to get three plays in:

2nd down - passing play. Its either a touchdown or its incomplete. Time stops.

3rd down - either pass or run. If they pass and get stopped, or run and get stopped, they call a timeout.

4th down - run whatever the hell they want.

Pete does not play with a fear of losing - and he would assume that his offense is capable an extremely high percentage of the time to run a passing play and NOT turn it over. Pete plays to win.

Should he have called the pass play they ran - that's a different discussion. But the choice to make a passing play can be defended at least. It may not have been the best call (because it obviously can be argued it wasn't) but I think he can defend his thought process for why he did.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Here is an easier call for you. Spread them out, bring Russell under center and sneak him to the Endzone. We talking 1 yard. Definitely we won't lose any yardage.
This call was all about arrogance and disrespect.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":gk7e4ti4 said:
It wasn't Pete's decision.

Bevell said he made the call, and Pete is covering for his assistant coach like any good HC would do.

The Super Bowl is on the line. Of course it was Pete's decision.

aawolf

Reaction score
The Butler did it. Championship play at a crucial time. No excuse for that playcall though. Run Lynch up the middle. Don't even read option at the 1 yard line. If they stuff us, they deserve to win.

kearly

Reaction score
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history. From the 1 yard line.

Never in the history of the NFL did a situation call for a run more.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":2qyv1rgv said:
hawknation2015":2qyv1rgv said:

Bevell said he made the call, and Pete is covering for his assistant coach like any good HC would do.

Pete is on record as saying he does not interfere with the offensive play calling mid game.

Bevell is on record as saying he made the call.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
To a receiver who would not even be on an NFL team if not for his special teams' coverage?

OkieHawk

Reaction score
kearly":32sn39mc said:
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history.

DING DING DING We have a winner!

rjdriver

Reaction score
kearly":3hsxua9i said:
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history.

Damn that hurts to read.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3kc410fk said:
Vancanhawksfan":3kc410fk said:
hawknation2015":3kc410fk said:

Pete is on record as saying he does not interfere with the offensive play calling mid game.

Bevell would not have chosen the decision to pass. There is no way that if Pete questioned the passing play he wouldn't have changed it. Not a chance.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3fuikf23 said:
hawknation2015":3fuikf23 said:
Vancanhawksfan":3fuikf23 said:
hawknation2015":3fuikf23 said:

Bevell would have chosen the play. There is no way that if Pete questioned the passing play he wouldn't have changed it. Not a chance.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":1aa0m2to said:
There was enough time to run the ball three times (Seattle had a timeout). Seattle had the #3 rush offense of all time, the toughest RB to tackle ever, vs. the 30th ranked power situations run defense, in the highest leverage set of downs in NFL history. From the 1 yard line.

Have to agree with that statement

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
kearly":34wzshop said:

Incomplete pass and they get a shot to run two more times.

theascension

Reaction score
Per PFF (as I've stated in other threads but bears repeating):
"Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss."

It was not the worst call by carroll imo but it was done with very poor execution, Lockette didn't make much of a play on the ball, slants aren't Russell's forte e.t.c. But we did win in GB on ballsy calls, we've won other games the last couple years on ballsy calls. I think Pass (incompletion), Run, Run was much more conceivable than Run, TO, Run , hurry to line hope to get a play off.

OP
OP
V

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":1exb4s3t said:
Bevell would have chosen the play. There is no way that if Pete questioned the passing play he wouldn't have changed it. Not a chance.

hawknation2015":1exb4s3t said:
I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

I changed my statement but you quoted me too soon.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
theascension":1mhcbpic said:
Per PFF (as I've stated in other threads but bears repeating):
"Marshawn Lynch ran the ball from the 1 yard line 5 times this season. 1 TD, 2 runs for no gain, 2 runs for a loss."

It was not the worst call by carroll imo but it was done with very poor execution, Lockette didn't make much of a play on the ball, slants aren't Russell's forte e.t.c. But we did win in GB on ballsy calls, we've won other games the last couple years on ballsy calls. I think Pass (incompletion), Run, Run was much more conceivable than Run, TO, Run , hurry to line hope to get a play off.
I said it in another thread, and I'll say it here. While many posters are saying Lynch should have run it up the gut, and I don't necessarily disagree, it's a false dichotomy to assume the only options were 1) quick slant to Lockette or 2) Lynch up the gut. What is infuriating about the call is that if it was felt a pass was our best option, we have better options in plays and receivers. No disrespect to Lockette, it's just he shouldn't have been put in that situation.