Speculation why ticket prices are high and supply is low

Scottemojo

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/super-...arket-is-ready-to-go-nuts--011925157-nfl.html

It appears the NFL is at least partially responsible for the high prices, as they try to freeze out brokers and funnel ticket purchases through Primesports. They are reported to have instructed teams to track their ticket allotments. Meaning that teams can't sell blocks of tickets to brokers without telling the NFL who bought them and for how much extra profit.

It sounds like Sunday those ticket prices could crash back to earth in the hours before the game, as supplies free up late.

All in all, it seems like the NFL partner Primesports is holding back supplies in what seems like some dirty business.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
or perhaps people who usually get tickets because of their connections (i.e. partners, sponsors, execs, front office, back office etc. etc.) decided they would actually go to this game versus sit in the outdoor stadium in NYC?

as much as this article is technical, the reason why prices are high is that brokers made an incorrect assumption as to the number of people would usually get tickets would sell them but failed to realize that those people might actually want to go someplace warm in Feb. after missing last years game??

either way, good luck and without any data go to by, any pundits speaking about prices are pure speculation and reading the tea leaves.

that is just my 2 cents.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Cheapest price at Ticketcity this morning is $6200.....cheapest on Stubhub $6900...... Unreal. Begin of last week they were around $2000......

Rex

Reaction score
Those prices should crash huge within 24 hours of game time.

pehawk

Reaction score
G'damn the NFL is greedy. Unbelievable.

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
Rex":1rs07icr said:

maybe. i do hope that speculative brokers get soaked when they have to deliver tickets to stubhub. less learned...don't sell something you don't have...oh wait, people short stocks all the time...never mind.

Laloosh

Reaction score
The madness continues...

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/cheapest-x ... d=28580641

As of 11 a.m. ET Thursday, the cheapest ticket to see the New England Patriots take on the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday was $8,070.

Why are these tickets so expensive?

In order to "short" the market, a broker typically lists tickets in a generic section of the stadium and doesn't' disclose exactly where the seats are until the Wednesday before the game, when sites such as StubHub and Vivid Seats require the brokers to choose exact seat locations, or cancel the sale.

The idea for the brokers is to take money from ticket buyers when the tickets are at a higher price after the conference title games, then actually buy the tickets days later as the prices start to come down. The ease of the scheme caused more and more brokers to get in the game.

The alleged collusion between brokers also squeezed the websites that make up the ticket marketplace. Sites like StubHub guarantee that tickets sold will be delivered, so the company started buying tickets to protect itself from people who sold tickets, but didn't appear to have the ability to actually deliver them, sources told ESPN.

For a short time after that game, the ticket sites tightened up, requiring more information and making it harder to short tickets to a big sporting event. But as the shorts continued to win again, the marketplace relaxed to the point where anyone could sell two tickets to a title game without ever actually having had the tickets.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
YYZHawksFan":2lynqr58 said:
Rex":2lynqr58 said:

maybe. i do hope that speculative brokers get soaked when they have to deliver tickets to stubhub. less learned...don't sell something you don't have...oh wait, people short stocks all the time...never mind.

Yeah, the doomsday scenario is that the travel agents who are expecting tickets to be delivered Friday so they can hand them out to their guests suddenly find out that there are no tickets... their source was selling tickets they don't have, and weren't able to get at any reasonable price.

The capacity in Glendale is significantly smaller than NYC.

When we had Seattle and Denver at NYC, that's two long trips for two remote fanbases, and neither team has a huge following.

With Seattle so close to Glendale, I know that there are a lot of people going down to Glendale without tickets. I think for most of them they are hoping to spend $1000-$1500 for a crappy seat inside... but there are indications that the minimum price might be higher, around $2000 to $2500 i.e. when tickets were selling last week, it was common that anytime a ticket showed up for $2500 or thereabouts, it would be bought basically instantly.

Yeah. So the X factor definitely is the capacity and how close Glendale is to Seattle and the fact that many Seattle folks know people who live down there in the winter...

YYZHawksFan

Reaction score
yup. i think the article gets it wrong a little.

this guy talks about it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jesselawren ... t-at-5000/

the brokers "tried" to short sell tickets....sell at $2500 and based on the last 5 years, buy day before you have to deliver at $1800, then deliver and make $$.

however, price did not go down. brokers still had to deliver tickets - or face guarantee sites like SH pounding their CC's for the amount to replace them - which I think this is going to be a huge mess (PICK UP YOUR TICKETS NOW IF YOU HAVE NOT). but when they went up, they had to buy at $3500 so he did not loose to much money. times by many many brokers.....boom, prices go logarithmic. some figured things might correct....and waited and waited and waited and then they still kept going up and now, they have to deliver, the margin call, and they had to buy what was left and now those that had an actual ticket for sale are making huge coin.

as much as i love the hawks, if i was holding onto a 900 ticket, it would be couriered to stubhub in AZ and i sell it in a second with a real hard ticket....

you see this from time to time with short squeezes of stocks coupled with a margin call and BAMN....stocks go up 20-40%....

so the is, FOR ONCE, brokers appear to have gotten hosed trying to short tickets. hope some of them go bankrupt and loose everything.

kearly

Reaction score
Just another slip of paper on Goodell's desk. Barring a lockout, has an NFL commissioner ever had a busier offseason in NFL history?

Bob_the_Destroyer

Reaction score
The #1 reason prices are so high: a *lot* of Seahawk fans are going to the Super Bowl! We are going to have an amazing showing. We will have many, many more fans show up than any other Super Bowl team in history. The Patriots will have to go to the silent count the entire game.

The #2 reason: speculation by the brokers. They sold tickets at $2000-$3000 without having them in hand assuming that ticket prices would, as usual, drop as the game got closer. Reason #1 screwed them up. Now they are forced to take a loss and buy tickets at the higher prices. Usually the quantity demanded drops signficantly at the higher prices, but the brokers who are being forced to buy are keeping it high. Hopefully, these brokers are not going to cheat their customers who bought tickets early at a good price -- for example, last year some brokers gave customers double their money back instead of tickets.

Ticket prices will drop immediately before the game, but not by that much. I doubt if they will fall below $5000 for the cheapest tickets.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Its funny, last year, primesports had tickets and they never could sell it. I got club seats and to my surprise 4 5 rows of seats in front of me were completely empty. Even if they had sold on face value ir reasonable mark up, many fans would have been in. I also talked to many elite personalities in the train and in the lounges who didn't care who yo root for, they were there just because they got tickets from corporations who sponsored the NFL shows. This is so messed up that real fans are denied opportunities to watch a game while people who get to are not interested to see the game. For the love of football and letting fans have an opportunity to watch, they should just change the whole NFL ticket policies. They want fans to pay for regular games but wont give them a fair chance to buy Superbowl tickets. I hope Superbowl doesnt become like Probowl where fans give up and never go anymore.