Hello Hawks fans, your help is requested.

Are you ok with "bandwagon" fans".

• Yes

Votes: 60 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 9.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 60 48.4%

• Total voters

downundermike

Reaction score
Eagles fan over here in Spokane, and I have a question for you all.

I have no ill will towards your team, and the life long fans of your team.

What I am having an issue with is all the bandwagon riders that latch on during a teams success, and will bail at the first sign of decline. IMO, a grown ass man has no business bandwagon riding.

So I post this poll for the real fans to weigh in on.

Thank you for your input.

Changed the topic question per a member request.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm with you, I don't care for the bandwagon people. I mean, I'm alright with new fans coming in if they are going to remain fans for life, but we all know that's not the case with most of them; but, it is what it is. Not like I have any say or control over it.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
In my book a fan is a fan. Sometimes a person falls off the wagon, but most of.the time they don't. Some are more passionate than others, and some are only into it this time of year. Doesn't really affect me either way, so the more the merrier.

I will say this though, the folks that just hopped on board will never be able to feel the sense of happiness and satisfaction that I have. I went through all the heartache and the laughter, so I feel I earned it, and get to enjoy it more.

RockHawk

Reaction score
I couldn't care less, honestly. The only ones that bother me even a little bit would be those that are fans of another team and suddenly become a Seahawks fan because it's in vogue. Everyone else is welcome.

I'm also one of those that doesn't necessarily beat my chest in pride over being a fan from the start. Doesn't make me better or worse than a newer 12. I'll still be happy to yell next to them at the game, quietly say "Go Hawks" when passing in an airport, or raise a beer with at Temple Billiards.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Oh, and for the record, the way you phrased your survey question will undoubtedly bias the voters, which will render it useless. If you want a truthful response, term it without bias like "Are you ok with "bandwagon" fans".

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
RockHawk":jm2u8w40 said:
Oh, and for the record, the way you phrased your survey question will undoubtedly bias the voters, which will render it useless. If you want a truthful response, term it without bias like "Are you ok with "bandwagon" fans".

Done

StoneCold

Reaction score
It's such weak sauce to be annoyed by bandwagon fans. This whole "you haven't suffered" so you can't be a fan and enjoy the sport for as long as you want is beyond ridiculous. What I don't like are stupid fans. Fans that have no knowledge of the game and think they do. But then everyone, in all areas, that think they know when they don't are annoying. New fans fall into this category more often and that can be trying. But not nearly as long time fans that still don't know what they're talking about.

SC

LusciousJames

Reaction score
downundermike":2b7de3hk said:
What I am having an issue with is all the bandwagon riders that latch on during a teams success, and will bail at the first sign of decline. IMO, a grown ass man has no business bandwagon riding.

- Sports are supposed to be fun.
- If it's fun for people to jump on the Hawks' bandwagon, they should do that.
- If it's fun for you to root for a team whose fans throw batteries at Santa Claus, that's fine too I guess.

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
StoneCold":2xk6te1c said:
It's such weak sauce to be annoyed by bandwagon fans. This whole "you haven't suffered" so you can't be a fan and enjoy the sport for as long as you want is beyond ridiculous. What I don't like are stupid fans. Fans that have no knowledge of the game and think they do. But then everyone, in all areas, that think they know when they don't are annoying. New fans fall into this category more often and that can be trying. But not nearly as long time fans that still don't know what they're talking about.

SC

Good input. I guess it is more annoying being in the teams territory. Every team has a bandwagon I guess, but everyone around me is part of it right now. They don't know crap about football, and don't know that much about the Hawks, and I have to suffer through it all day every day.

Hell, I didn't even see any of them when I went out to Hawks camp when it was here at EWU.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Depends on what your definition of a bandwagon fan is.

IMO a bandwagon fan is someone that jumps from team to team depending on when they're successful.

I do have a problem with NEW fans being called bandwagon fans, because we were all new fans at one time or another. Some of us as early as we can remember, some in our teens, and some later in life.

I love new fans, because they turn into long time die hard fans like us. But some guy at your work that was rolling around in a Niner or Falcons jersey two years ago and now is wearing a brand new 12 Hawk jersey? Yeah, F that guy.

BraveHeartFan

Reaction score
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Needs to be a "don't care" option. It doesn't bother me if half the nation decides they want to root for the Seahawks, because it doesn't affect my feelings about the team or my history as a fan one bit.

Tacomahawk has an excellent point, though, about those of us who have been fans for decades... new fans who have recently jumped aboard the bandwagon cannot possibly have the same feeling over our championship last year and the prospect of one this year. They can't understand how precious it is and the elation we felt when we won it all, because they weren't here for the long slog of mediocrity. And that sucks for them, honestly.

And when we eventually return to mediocrity - whenever that may be and for however long it is - if those newer fans decide to bail on the team, that's on them. Not me. I'm here until they put me in the ground, no matter what anyone else does.

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":m6k9xu7z said:

IMO a bandwagon fan is someone that jumps from team to team depending on when they're successful.

I do have a problem with NEW fans being called bandwagon fans, because we were all new fans at one time or another. Some of us as early as we can remember, some in our teens, and some later in life.

I love new fans, because they turn into long time die hard fans like us. But some guy at your work that was rolling around in a Niner or Falcons jersey two years ago and now is wearing a brand new 12 Hawk jersey? Yeah, F that guy.

I agree with half your point about other team fans changing, but if you are in your 30's, never had a vested interest until the team won a super bowl, you really don't have a problem with that, knowing they will have no vested interest once your success ends.

OP
OP
D

downundermike

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan":23xxeypb said:
If its someone whose jumping on the Seahawks now because they want them to be their new favorite team because they're the team winning then no I don't think they should be doing that.

I am a fan of the Seahawks, out of respect to the way they take care of their business and some of their players whom I really enjoy watching play.

But I am first and foremost, and always will be, a Dallas Cowboys fan.

It figures I find a Cowboy fan on the Hawks message board...............

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We all had to start somewhere. Granted I started when the team was winning 4 games a year but that's not the point.

I only mind the idiots that root for whatever team is winning year after year. If they weren't really into football, or didn't understand the sport.. or something along those lines and they pick Seattle.. I really could not care less. Just don't act like an ass hat and represent the fan base well. And plan to be supportive of this team after this run of success fades away.

No joke though.. there is a guy on my Facebook that is a "Seahawks and Patriots fan" .. he was also a Miami Heat fan, pulling for the Giants in the WS, etc. THOSE are the guys that are the most annoying fans on Earth.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Absolutely okay with bandwagon fans. There are a lot of people who could care less about sports that get excited about a team when they're winning purely because it involves their area/city. How many of that 700K strong parade were die hard fans before 2012 or 2013? Doesn't matter. They put an exclamation point on how this city/area feels about this team, period.

Get over it, imo. I love going to the store on Sunday morning and seeing nothing but Seahawks gear as I make my way to the beer aisle.

StoneCold

Reaction score
downundermike":o19wryw1 said:
Sgt. Largent":o19wryw1 said:

I agree with half your point about other team fans changing, but if you are in your 30's, never had a vested interest until the team won a super bowl, you really don't have a problem with that, knowing they will have no vested interest once your success ends.

I don't have a problem with it for a few reasons. First as volsunghawk points out, it really has no impact on me. It's like gay marriage. I don't care who you marry.

The other reason is I am a fair weather fan. I have watched the Seahawks and the Mariners since their inception. But if they suck I don't give them as much of my time.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
downundermike":179ie2n4 said:
Sgt. Largent":179ie2n4 said:

So what is the cutoff age for you?

Are we so arrogant in our fandom that we can pick and choose some sort of arbitrary cut off age for a person to be considered a "legitimate" fans? "Oh sorry dude, you just missed the cut, you had to be a Hawk fan by age 27 1/2 for us to respect your fandom."

Many of us had some sort of sporting event to pique our interest. I didn't care about basketball when I was a kid until watching the Sonics at age 10 win the championship. I didn't care about baseball until my dad took me to a Mariners game in the Kingdome and I got to watch Alvin Davis hit two home runs in a game. I didn't care about the Hawks until I started worshipping Jim Zorn who was fast and left handed like me.

Maybe older fans just had to have that awesome fan moment later in life to spark their interest in following a team.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
DUMike: No big deal to me. I root for the 'Hawks because they're MY Team. Why anyone else roots for them is of no matter to me.

However, I do have a problem with those who 'claim' to be diehard fans, but are the first to bail when the 'Hawks are having a bad game. :les: