Luke Willson was clutch!

godawg

Reaction score
It looked like Willson couldn't catch a ball in the first half, but when it really mattered, when he fought for a crucial first down and then brought down the 2pt conversion, Luke Willson was clutch. I've pulled out hair when he's dropped balls in the past, but during those last few minutes on Sunday, he got my respect.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I wasn't a huge Willson fan but he's earned my respect. He's become an issue to opposing defenses now.

peppersjap

Reaction score
That has been what I've been saying, the guy has had some rough patches like the 1st half Sunday but he has made some huge catches for us this year. Baldwin dropped a pass early but he was completely golden in the 4th quarter and OT and then we move onto Kearse, he did fail to haul in 2 passes that he deflected into interceptions but the other 2 were on Wilson and when it all mattered he made the catch we needed just like he did in the NFC championship game last year, the Carolina game a week ago and the Carolina game last year and there was also a very impressive TD in the Super Bowl. He might have some drops here and there but he is clutch and people need to remember he wasn't even drafted. Pete has gotten so much out of these WR'S and TE's.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Russell has had to learn to throw balls Luke can handle. That's what he's doing now. Mostly touch passes and fewer high bullets that make Willson have to stretch. Notice the balls Willson has dropped, and they were either at the outer edge of his catch radius and/or thrown with lots of zip, and/or having to twist his upper body. Balls where Willson has to reach up extra high and/or jump, and twist his upper body back towards the ball, while running diagonally away from Russelll--Willson often drops those. Hook-type patterns where Willson is coming back to the ball and Russell throws a high bullet--Willson often drops those too.

Don't ask Willson to make those types of catches (i.e., Russell, learn what Willson does well and give him those balls) and he does very, very well.

I think it's more that Russell Wilson has adjusted to Luke Willson more than Luke Willson really playing better or different. Russell is throwing more Willson-catchable balls now.

I thought the best catch of the game was from... Ricardo Lockette! Russell gave him a crap ball and Lockette somehow caught it.

Willson's big game against AZ involved touch passes over the linebackers with Willson moving away from the ball, effectively "slowing" it down. The 2 point conversion was a nice high floater to go get.