Patera era flashback

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
For those of us who remember the Patera era, the fake field goal brought back fond memories of the late 70's Seahawks! Jon Ryan almost looked to me like efren hererra. Albeit in a much bigger game with much bigger stakes.

Faust

Reaction score
Oh yea, I was pretty little then but I remember he was crazy. Pretty much threw convention wisdom aside. At least as I remember it.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Thats what I loved about the early Hawks. All those trick plays were cool if you are under the age of 10.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Amusingly, both Carroll and Patera made their names under the same coach: Bud Grant. In fact, Patera coached the D-line on the last team to lead the league in scoring defense 3 straight seasons.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Jim Zorn was the holder and Efren Herrera was the catcher, right? And it was extra comical because Efren was short and squat and ran like a beetle.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":vhlz31yb said:
If I remember correctly, Jim Zorn was the holder and Efren Herrera was the catcher, right? And it was extra comical because Efren was short and squat and ran like a beetle.

You remember correctly ... and sadly I remember watching it live as it was on MNF (first ever franchise appearance).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJq1BQsd_c

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":v6y4cesk said:
SnoCoHawk":v6y4cesk said:

You remember correctly ... and sadly I remember watching it live as it was on MNF (first ever franchise appearance).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeJq1BQsd_c

Wow, Efren Herrera looks pretty much the same! I watched it live, too - I was a teenager at the time.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Patera also coached both the Fearsome foursome and the purple people eaters before he coached the Hawks...if memory serves.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Efren was definitely the most entertaining. Field goal were met with heavy anticipation in that era.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Yeah, those were always good for a shot of adrenalin. Never quite knew what you were gonna get.

And I really don't know why more teams don't fake more field goals and punts. Seems like there's a lot of room to get a guy open if they get even a little bit creative.