As great as Wilson is, what was he thinking the 1st half?

kjreid

Reaction score
Watching the replay, he threw to covered receivers, changed run plays right into Mathews and just looked more out of sync than I have seen before. Our defense made this game for us.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
sounds like a good place to focus our energy today.

OP
OP
kjreid

kjreid

Reaction score
Yes, all year he is pretty careful about throwing into coverage and he does nothing but that the 1st half.

Oh, I fogot we only talk about how great Wilson is. My bad!!! :th2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kjreid":15bjw51s said:
Yes, all year he is pretty careful about throwing into coverage and he does nothing but that the 1st half.

im sure we know what he was thinking, but just dont want to tell you?

he had a bad, bad day. once in a career kind of day

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Terpdragon":2n3xmmuf said:
I wonder if he was concussed in that blindside hit
How could he not have been? He also had his helmet pounded on the carpet a few times and took an elbow to the helmet.

Erin Andrews said our staff gave him a 3 second test after that big hit though. Any idea what that is?

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Bad day at the office first 55:30, redemption in the last 4:30?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
New O-line lineup and trusting his receivers to go up and make those plays, also the 4 INT all went to Kearse. I will say that 2 of those INT was on Wilson. They must have seen something on tape that said that Kearse should beat his man, but it didn't go as planned. The bomb to Kearse was an audible play that Wilson recognize.

That hit by Matthews could of concussed him as well. The Analyst said they didn't' even do a concussion protocol on Wilson, they looked at him for only 2 seconds. They probably asked him if he wanted to stay in, and you know Wilson will never say no. Hurt or not Wilson will finish the game one way or another.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The Hawks started pressing after the ball wasnt going their way and after the countless penalties were putting our downs in long situations. Kearse brick handing two easy catches that turned into picks. If Kearse catches those two balls (both first downs) we maybe get a little bit of rythm and things work out better earlier..

Boycie

Reaction score
kjreid":dfy3sxhb said:

I think on a couple of those throws, that Russell was trying to get us back in the game in a hurry, whereas he needed to stick to the game plan and be patient. That was the first time since his rookie year that I thought I saw a bit of immaturity in his game. Great lesson for him going into the SB though!

Chawks1

Reaction score
He certainly comes through in the clutch though.

Not only were his throws off. But his decisions were questionable in the first half. His 3rd down throws, even if completed, wouldn't have converted into first downs. He definetly didn't play well.

Our D played lights out most the game. The fake FG kept us alive. And Lynch wouldn't allow anything to stop him. That's why the best TEAM won. Russ, Kearse, and Baldwin had a first 3/4 of a game they would like to forget but all came up huuuuge when they needed to. We just had to get passed the obstacles we created.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I have a theory why he played so poorly the 1st half.

I bet Russell Wilson has a warm up progression that he adheres to. Maintain this schedule and he gets into a comfort zone, take it away and, well something is a miss and you just don't feel right.

Yesterday, during the wind and storm and rain, according to the broad casters the teams really didn't get a good warm up prior to the game.

Russell tends to start slow anyway, factor in the GB defense playing gongho, it's not out of reason to think he was just not warmed up yet. As the game progressed into the 2nd half he did finally loosen up and play as he's capable of.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hasn't he usually been pretty bad in inclement weather? Maybe the wind and rain was getting to him

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
Wind, rain, also the first few possessions the Hawks had the sunlight really poked through right in Russels face. I think it was a handful of things that just added up.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
He may have gotten concussed, but he didn't take that hit until after he'd already thrown 2 picks and looked awful to begin with. So I don't take much stock in the concussion excuse. He came back and played lights out to end the game. He just sucked ass for the vast majority of that game and everyone including Russell knows it.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Didn't the fans DEMAND that he throws the ball more? He should just let it rip ... and he did ...
Guess what? This is what happens when you just throw the ball ... Most of the throws were NOT bad throws. The long ball to Kearse got caught in the wind. The throw in the End Zone might have been caught in the wind too.
Wet ball, wet field, wind, ... etc didn't make things easy on throwing the ball.
The first INT was just bad luck.
But ... this happens.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
1. Weather played a variable.

I don't think either QB were really as bad as their stat lines... two of the best decision-making/ball control QBs threw 6 Ints between them. In the Reg. Season, Rodgers threw for 6? And Wilson 7. Credit great pass-defenses but....

The wind was probably a factor in probably all three of the long ball interceptions, pushing or pulling the ball off-target.

The rain was also a factor with all the dropped balls.... Kearse has a low catch% as it is... add in a slick ball/wet hands and some velocity to get that ball in between defenders from Russell... stuff like 2 ints off blown catches will happen.

So, I think the weather had a lot to do with QB performance as well as WR performance.

2. Paul Richardson and Justin Britt

Its crazy now how we can say they are just rookies... no big deal... but I think they mattered.

Richardson was becoming Bobby Engram to Wilson's Hasselbeck. A legit 3rd down safety valve.

And Bailey making his first start at RT had a rough game before settling down after half-time. Its unclear if Britt would have did much better but a guy with 17 straight starts at RT is probably better than the guy making his first.

3. The Blindside Hit

It probably did knock his marbles around for a bit whether Wilson admits it or not. Big shots like that add up but how much it affected him mentally, I'm not sure... maybe he got the yips at that point. But it probably affected him some way.

4. Bevell

Its not all on him as it was execution but he seemed very conservative and reluctant to adjust... he didn't pull the RO out full blast until the end and I think they would have more success this game utilizing Lynch/Turbin in the passing game more.

I don't want to make another bullet point but Seahawks blockers whiffed on a lot of blocks... Tukuafu, Moeaki, Willson, and Bailey to name a few that stood out.

5. Credit the Packers Defense

They attacked the RS of the O-Line which was probably a big weakness.

Because of that Seahawks had to keep a TE to that side for the most part.

Their defense in most of the first 3 QTRs were active and played downhill in the running game but instead of attacking Lynch head on, they all maintained gap discipline which allowed them to gang tackle.

For Wilson they didn't as much attack him as they did contain the edge and flush him out of the pocket into a sack. Seahawks really only had one good WR in Baldwin... and then two boom-or-bust types in Kearse and Lockette. And it showed against a very good secondary... in the time that Wilson did have time... no one was open.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it was the fact he didn't keep Green Bay honest by running. We ran the RO and he didn't make them pay early for overpursuing nor did he pick up yards on scrambles. Though, maybe the all-22 will explain why.

If I am right, then, it could have been some overconfidence from the Panthers game or he might have been stung by criticism that he is a poor pocket passer (false as it is). That can be and will be corrected.

On the other hand, maybe it was just a fluke with no rhyme or reason.