Lack of pass rush reminds of the Atlanta game

oasis

Reaction score
It may just be me, but I think the pass rush was stonewalled by the packers offensive line. Aaron Rodgers had all day to throw. The loss of Hill was not so noticeable against the Panthers but was painfully obvious here. I hate to admit it, but this superbowl has the feel of the Atlanta game two years ago.

Crizilla

Reaction score
our pass rush was so bad today it can only be better in the super bowl

Optimus25

Reaction score
In the super bowl we definitely need to address our ends getting pushed out of the play. That was completely unacceptable all day long. Pursuing the qb is worthless if you end up 8 yds behind him.

Nog

Reaction score
I have zero concerns in my mind about the DL. You forgot that the Packers have an excellent pass protection (this season at least). Plus, Rodgers has an excellent pocket awareness.

However, it is true the only way to disrupt Brady it is to bring the pressure up front. I'm pretty we will sort it out.

hawk45

Reaction score
NE may not have the OL the Packers have, but Rodgers holds the ball whereas Brady is more likely to get rid of it quickly.

OP is totally legitimate. Today was a lot like Atlanta. The LOB doing incredibly well to limit the pass production of the opponent despite getting no pressure to speak of.

I hope we correct it also, but this is two weeks in a row. We didn't pressure Newton and the (legitimate) excuse was that we were more trying to contain him. We didn't pressure Rodgers this week despite him being injured and less mobile. We may just not have the horses up front and may need to win just like we did today: with the LOB playing out of their minds to cover guys forever.

pehawk

Reaction score
hawk45":hus6fc3h said:
NE may not have the OL the Packers have, but Rodgers holds the ball whereas Brady is more likely to get rid of it quickly.

OP is totally legitimate. Today was a lot like Atlanta. The LOB doing incredibly well to limit the pass production of the opponent despite getting no pressure to speak of.

I hope we correct it also, but this is two weeks in a row. We didn't pressure Newton and the (legitimate) excuse was that we were more trying to contain him. We didn't pressure Rodgers this week despite him being injured and less mobile. We may just not have the horses up front and may need to win just like we did today: with the LOB playing out of their minds to cover guys forever.

They don't have the horses in the middle. They just don't and it aint going to change in two week.

IMO, that means Bevell and the offensive staff need to shorten their scripted plays a bit. And, eventually, they'll need to take risks defensively.

Optimus25

Reaction score
MRDramseystyle":2mpvxswn said:
:34853_doh:
If this is what i think it is, people like you are so annoying to me. Just ride the euphoria of the win and pretend like we didn't get dominated for 55 mins, and anyone who wants to talk about improvement areas is a nuisance.

Nog

Reaction score
Brady doesn't throw much over 15 years too... Think about that! And no matter his release, If he does that against our defense their receivers would get punished... The same way we punished the Broncos receivers.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Hill and Mebane being out really hurt. I think this is a game that we're going to need to dial up a few blitzes in. The Giants showed that getting consistent pressure on Brady in those SB losses is key to beating him. I'm not sure if our front four will be able to get enough of it. However, I'm not nearly as worried about New England's receivers like I was against Green Bay or Denver and we've been great at slowing down elite TEs so I'm confident that Gronk will have his hands full with our D.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I share the concern and the deja vu feeling to the Atlanta playoff game. Just glad this one ended better. I think Quinn has a little more to talent to work with for generating pass rush, and we will need a way to get pressure up the middle. Avril, Bennett, Irvin, Schofield, but Bennett is the only one who can consistently get inside pressure. We do miss Jordan Hill there. I'm not banking on Quinn and Co. coaching up Dobbs and Tukuafu in time to remedy this. So this will be a key matchup. But then, we worried about this last year with Peyton, and we got pressure on him. Our coaches have 2 weeks. They found ways last time. I'm hoping the coaches and players can find things to exploit about NE these next 2 weeks.

BC-Hawk

Reaction score
Part of me is worried about Quinn dialing up a game plan when he's too busy fielding job interviews on the side.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
olyfan63":3gtks5cf said:
Our coaches have 2 weeks. They found ways last time.
We had Clinton Mcdonald last year. He filled the Jordan Hill role last year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Yeah I am very worried about our DT rotation. We need a Clinton McDonald or Jordan ill in there badly.

evergreen

Reaction score
Part of our pass rush problems were the lack of offense. It's a lot easier to stop Aaron Rogers when he's on the bench. I heard TOP was even but it didn't feel like it.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Still a 4 man rush and had some success on our blitz. I am not going to criticize for people not recognizing this because it did not seem like it. However,,, our defense,,,,,,played lights out today. Could not be more proud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!