explosive plays article

niveky

Reaction score
This isn't a very long article but it really speaks to what Carroll has been preaching since he got here. I mean he is big on the old school power running game in the offense and suffocating defense but a really big focal point that I remember him talking in detail about was explosive plays. This is really fitting in context with everything else he has done with this team.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/

Chawks1

Reaction score
Absolutely. Getting big plays and not giving up big plays is his mantra. The keystone to our success as an organization is built around this philosophy.

They refer to this as toxic differential. We have dominated at this the last 2 seasons. Here is a link that explains it and shows just how dominate we are.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats ... tial/2014/

You can see the big gap between us and the next closest team. This is why we are so successful. Especially important come playoff time.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
Seattle #1 with 76 differential
Green Bay #3 with 37 differential

New England #14 with 0 differential
Indy #21 with -13 differential

Cool beans.

themunn

Reaction score
Knew we led the league in differential, didn't realise that's because we had both the most plays for and least plays against!

To cop a phrase from Carroll "that's really awesome".

Chawks1

Reaction score
Bigbadhawk":35gcaom3 said:
Seattle #1 with 76 differential
Green Bay #3 with 37 differential

New England #14 with 0 differential
Indy #21 with -13 differential

Cool beans.

Yes, and not just the fact we are 1st and Green Bay is third. The gap between us and them is huge! We have twice as many as they do. Green Bay is in fact closer to being with New England than being even with us.

Think about how our offense is built. When we are successful it is because we explode for a big chunk play. Either RW will do something amazing. Or one of our pedestrian WRs or TEs will make a big catch downfield. Or Lynch goes all Beastmode once or twice a game. Those plays coupled with the few turnovers we have is it what breaks opposing teams spirits.

Green Bays defense must stop the big plays and I do not believe they can do that for 4 quarters on the road vs us.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Regarding explosive plays, I was taking a look at this last night. Check it out (especially the defensive numbers) ...

Passing Plays of 20 Yards + [Pass Offense]
Indianapolis Colts ... 78 plays (#1 -- Most in the NFL)
Green Bay Packers ... 59 plays (5th Most in the NFL)
Seattle Seahawks ... 54 plays (tied for 11th in the NFL)
New England Patriots ... 46 plays (22nd in the NFL)

Passing Plays of 20 Yards + Allowed [Pass Defense] ...
Seattle Seahawks ... 32 plays (#1 -- Fewest in the NFL)
Green Bay Packers ... 50 plays (tied for 17th in the NFL)
Indianapolis Colts ... 54 plays (tied for 20th in the NFL)
New England Patriots ... 62 plays (tied for 3rd MOST allowed in the NFL)

Chawks1

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":23t28182 said:
Regarding explosive plays, I was taking a look at this last night. Check it out (especially the defensive numbers) ...

Check out that D stat.....LOB!

Interesting to see that Green Bay and Seattle are only 5 plays difference in 20+ yds offensive pass plays. When people think of Aaron Rodgers and that offense they naturally think of big pass plays. When they think of us they say "stop Lynch and we will win". Not the case at all! Sucker them in with the ground and pound and then hit the big play downfield. That's where RW excels. Making a huge something out of nothing.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Chawks1":3lgtp3dd said:
Hawkscanner":3lgtp3dd said:

Check out that D stat.....LOB!

Interesting to see that Green Bay and Seattle are only 5 plays difference in 20+ yds offensive pass plays. When people think of Aaron Rodgers and that offense they naturally think of big pass plays. When they think of us they say "stop Lynch and we will win". Not the case at all! Sucker them in with the ground and pound and then hit the big play downfield. That's where RW excels. Making a huge something out of nothing.

True ... and check out where the Patriots rank, both in terms of pass plays of 20+ completed ... and especially ALLOWED. If that really holds true, I love our chances if it's New England.

Chawks1

Reaction score
New England relies solely on Gronk coming up big each time they need a first down or TD. He is a freak with exceptional skills for a 6'7" TE. But their run offense is limited and Amandola and Edelmen are very similar to Wes Welker. I don't see this is as a matchup problem . Our LBs can stay with them. Jam Gronk at the line to slow his release and have Kam trail him all over the place. Makes Brady hold the ball longer so we can apply the pressure.

I can't wait for the "You Mad Bro-Bowl". Bring it on.