Majority of Seattle-area women now follow pro football

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-g...f-seattle-area-women-now-follow-pro-football/

For the first time, football fandom has spread to the majority of women in the Seattle area. According to newly-released survey data from Scarborough Research, 51 percent of local women identify as “somewhat” or “very” (as opposed to “a little bit” or “not at all”) interested in the NFL — up from 30 percent just two years ago.

Scarborough surveys thousands of people in the Seattle-Tacoma market each year. For the most recent release, 3,999 adults age 18 and older were surveyed between September 2013 and August 2014.

Fresh off a Super Bowl victory, it’s no surprise that the Seahawks attracted a lot of new fans — men and women alike. But the Hawks are attracting women to the game at a much faster clip than men. According to Scarborough, the NFL has gained 650,000 new followers in the Seattle market in the last two years — and two out of three of them are women.

There are now an estimated 1 million women in our region who express a moderate-to-high level of interest in pro football.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would it be uncouth to drop a "Big Unit" reference here?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
Not bashing women at all but they do tend to cling to anything "fashionable." If enough people talk about something ultimately the female species will fall in line with conformity. Not saying anything to the women.netters who have been here prior to the Superbowl, at least you helped start the trend.

FireHawk79

Reaction score
I know in my case and many of my friends, my wife became a fan of the seahawks through our relationship and is as big a hawks fan as I am albeit she has only been a fan for 8 years compared to my 30+. But I also know many wome who are football fans since childhood. I think mainly in recent years the nfl has tried to reach out to the female population to include them or get them interested in the nfl. Kinda how the breast cancer awareness is a big deal in the nfl now...

I think the more fans the better no matter who they are!

GFang

Reaction score
This was inevitable... in my male fantasy, all women get flustered upon learning that:

1. Russ has big hands.
2. Kam knows how to lay the "wood".
3. Marshawn must be nicknamed "Beast Mode" for a reason... AND he's an expert in resolving "plumbing" issues.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think I know more women who are football fans than those who aren't. Some follow the NFL, some college, some both.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The percentage increase of male fans is nearly the same from 2010-2014, so it's not really a gender specific thing. Breaking the 50% threshold just makes for a nice headline on the female side.

Successful team with big personalities has bigger following than in years past. Not exactly earth shattering. Happened with the 90s Mariners and Sonics as well. As those teams lost personalities and wins, interest dipped as well (among both genders).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
They saw the market value of Women in research and wanted in on that market. And the rest is as they say....history. :)

Riley12

Reaction score
FireHawk79":1cbnfyts said:
I know in my case and many of my friends, my wife became a fan of the seahawks through our relationship and is as big a hawks fan as I am albeit she has only been a fan for 8 years compared to my 30+.

That's my case as well.

When my wife and I first met in college, I used to try and talk her into going to the college games with me, but she really didn't want any part of it.

Even when we finally moved to the Seattle area and could go to Seahawks games, she still didn't see the allure, but didn't mind that I had season tickets. Finally, around the first Super Bowl run, she started following more of the games and even went to one or two. Fast forward to the Carroll years and she is more of a complete NFL fan than I will ever be. Where I will only watch and follow the Seahawks, she follows the NFL very closely, even during the offseason.

Both of my children (daughter and son) are a totally different story. I raised them from birth to be diehard Seahawks fans.

dbmack

Reaction score
I have been watching as long as I can remember. I started watching with my dad when I was just a kid and I never stopped. I'm almost 63 now.

pehawk

Reaction score
In related news men are skipping lunch and wearing wrinkled shirts.

Most convert broads are annoying.

253hawk

Reaction score
Gee, I wonder why more women are suddenly watch --

0bada5ede2a6d0b_280_190.jpg

Oh.

But yeah, I've seen about 1000% increase in women wearing Hawk stuff. Mostly the type that look like they have no clue what football is other than something their husbands watch every Sunday.

Sac

Reaction score
253hawk":20op4e3w said:

Oh.

But yeah, I've seen about 1000% increase in women wearing Hawk stuff. Mostly the type that look like they have no clue what football is other than something their husbands watch every Sunday.
I was going to say this exact thing. Exactly.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1e606hgb said:
253hawk":1e606hgb said:

Oh.

I was going to say this exact thing. Exactly.

Good to know you are both staring at the same thing..........those wrist bands ARE awesome. :mrgreen:

grizbob

Reaction score
dbmack":dx715ncz said:
I have been watching as long as I can remember. I started watching with my dad when I was just a kid and I never stopped. I'm almost 63 now.

Since we're the same age I gotta say there's no way you were watching the Hawks as a kid, unless you consider 25ish still being a kid ;)

dbmack

Reaction score
grizbob":dde0n2h3 said:
dbmack":dde0n2h3 said:

Since we're the same age I gotta say there's no way you were watching the Hawks as a kid, unless you consider 25ish still being a kid ;)
I meant I have been watching football as long as I can remember, not the Seahawks. I was sort of a Rams fan back then but we watched all the games. I still do. I can't remember if my Dad even had a favorite team before the Seahawks but the whole family, of course, became Seahawks fans when they joined the league. My dad passed away in 1979 and I still miss watching games with him.

grizbob

Reaction score
dbmack":1uosr39g said:
grizbob":1uosr39g said:
dbmack":1uosr39g said:

I meant I have been watching football as long as I can remember, not the Seahawks. I was sort of a Rams fan back then but we watched all the games. I still do. I can't remember if my Dad even had a favorite team before the Seahawks but the whole family, of course, became Seahawks fans when they joined the league. My dad passed away in 1979 and I still miss watching games with him.

Yeah db, it was a feeble attempt at making fun of both of us. Sorry to hear about your father.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Some elementary statistics for y'all: If there are 1,000,000 men and 1,000,000 women, and two years ago 75% of the men and 25% of the women were football fans, then 250,000 men and 750,000 women were not football fans. If 80% of the male non-fans converted and 40% of the female non-fans converted, then 200,00 men became fans and 300,000 women converted. This can be presented as either:
"News flash! Males become football fans at twice the rate of females!"
-or-
"News flash! 50% more women become football fans than men!"
Really, it depends on the narrative you want to present. This is why statistics are not generally to be believed unless you think about 'em first. In any field.