Stopping Jonathan Stewart

hawknation2015

Reaction score
If Carolina has any chance to win, Jonathan Stewart will need to have a big game for them. He's coming off one of the best games of his career in their Wildcard win over Arizona: 24 carries for 123 yards (5.1 yards/carry) and this TD. He forced nine missed tackles in the game.

ThornyRepentantJumpingbean.gif

Stewart broke two tackles on this TD run, spinning past Sam Acho and then bursting through Rashad Johnson to reach the end zone.

He's had a strong last month of football with 122 yards against Cleveland and 155 yards on 20 carries (7.8 yards/carry) in a blowout win over division-rival New Orleans.
JStwet.gif

The right side of Carolina's offensive line seems to be playing a lot better than they were at the beginning of the season. Rookie Trai Turner is playing some very solid football at RG, and Mike Remmers has played pretty well for them at RT. Turner (out of LSU) is a guy I was hoping the Seahawks would draft. Remmers was a walk-on at Oregon State, but put together a solid college career with a reputation as a scrapper. Center Ryan Kalil is still one the best technicians in the league.

This should be a good test for our run defense, as the next matchup will be a step up against Murray or Lacy. We actually haven't faced that many good RBs this year. Murray, Lacy, Gore, and Stewart were probably the Top 4.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
All those gifs did was make me laugh at how awful the Saints defense is.

Smellyman

Reaction score
No need to worry. He will probably get hurt making his coffee at some point this week.

Kidding, we love Stewart. local boy.

not real worried about Stewart.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Talent has always been there. He was the 13th overall pick and is that good. Injuries (and more injuries (and MORE injuries)) have been the issue.

pehawk

Reaction score
If Stewart runs to KJ, he may take a bad angle (he's good for 3 or 4 a game), but he'll at least do a better job at contain than Acho. No way on Bruce's side...Bruce is too disciplined for that noise.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Remember what Wagner did to Lacy? He was lucky to make the LOS. That's what I want to see Saturday.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Their run game is definitely something to contend with. More of an quick, athletic group than the porkers we suited abuse. In that respect, they are closer to the Dallas OL...a group that more than held their own against us. They are really blocking well right now, and Stuart is a handful.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think Stewart will have a tough time running the ball this weekend. He's facing one of the most ferocious hitters in the game today. Just ask Demarcus Thomas or Vernon Davis. Stewart running against the Saints....did the Saints even play defense this year? It seems they took the whole season off on that side of the ball.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Stewart rushed for 80+ yards in 3 games this year.

Against the Vikings, browns, and saints - teams ranked 25th, 32nd, and 29th against the run.

So. yeah.

New Orleans gave up a yard and a half more than Seattle per attempt, and that was his best game.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3mhkbg6g said:
Stewart rushed for 80+ yards in 3 games this year.

Against the Vikings, browns, and saints - teams ranked 25th, 32nd, and 29th against the run.

So. yeah.

New Orleans gave up a yard and a half more than Seattle per attempt, and that was his best game.

Technically, you are correct if you are referring to the regular season.

Against the Seahawks, Stewart rushed for 79 yards on 16 attempts (4.9 yards per carry).

He had a few nice runs against us; one where he jump-stop juked Malcolm Smith for a nice gain. The option run is the bread and butter of this Panthers' offense. But for the most part, the defense did a nice job penetrating into the backfield and gang tackling Stewart.

CavernousBonyAnchovy.gif

Mebane blew up this play, but missed the tackle, as did Michael Bennett. With so many bodies in the backfield, Tony McDaniel ended up getting him for a three-yard loss. There was a great surge by the defensive line across the board.

getnasty

Reaction score
Stewart just isn't the kind of back that worries me against the Hawks, he only had success in the regular season because there was no Bobby Wagner.

SeaChase

Reaction score
Hasn't Stewart been playing left out lately? Hasn't his back up, who's name I can't remember, been getting a majority of the snaps and has been averaging about 100 yards a week for about the past 6 weeks, which they have won 5 of the last 6 games.

Edit: maybe im thinking of Williams..

2_0_6

Reaction score
I actually like Stew, local kid, nice guy, and always has been a hard runner. Before Lynch, I was hoping the Hawks would have been able to land him.

With that being said, he reminds me of a poor man's Frank Gore. I'd be surprised if he gets more than 75 yards on Saturday.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2whc6g4x said:
So true. The Saints clip is ridiculous. The Panthers sweep/option guy is 5 yards away and behind Newton. There's no attempt on the QB's part to even suggest that guy is getting the ball, yet the Saints defender assigned to him goes flying 3 yards past the LOS after him. LOL! The other defenders look like they were falling down a funnel right into the same gap, leaving nothing but green off tackle. So bad, so undisciplined.

The Cardinals clip reminded me that most NFL DBs do NOT take on RBs in space, nor do they usually attempt to identify a run as it's happening. The Cards' #25 didn't even notice it was a run play until Stewart was past the LOS, and it was to HIS side! #26 is way late, takes a bad angle, and makes a pisspoor effort at simulating a tackle. Against the Seahawks, Earl sticks the RB at the 9 yard line, and that's only if Kam doesn't already blow him up at the 12.

I like Stewart, but he is not getting the "look away, run away" treatment from the Legion.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Stewart is one talented RB.. its health that's always been his bugaboo

I don't think he will go crazy against our defense on Saturday.. but he could get 70-80 yards.

Ultimately, I think the game really comes down to what QB makes fewer mistakes against each respective defense. That edge goes to Wilson on paper.. we'll see about the game itself. Before ANTHONY!!!! comes in here to white knight Russ, let's just remember Russ had a pretty crappy game until the final drive in the first meeting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":ae24hwy4 said:
Hawknballs":ae24hwy4 said:
So true. The Saints clip is ridiculous. The Panthers sweep/option guy is 5 yards away and behind Newton. There's no attempt on the QB's part to even suggest that guy is getting the ball, yet the Saints defender assigned to him goes flying 3 yards past the LOS after him. LOL! The other defenders look like they were falling down a funnel right into the same gap, leaving nothing but green off tackle. So bad, so undisciplined.

The Cardinals clip reminded me that most NFL DBs do NOT take on RBs in space, nor do they usually attempt to identify a run as it's happening. The Cards' #25 didn't even notice it was a run play until Stewart was past the LOS, and it was to HIS side! #26 is way late, takes a bad angle, and makes a pisspoor effort at simulating a tackle. Against the Seahawks, Earl sticks the RB at the 9 yard line, and that's only if Kam doesn't already blow him up at the 12.

I like Stewart, but he is not getting the "look away, run away" treatment from the Legion.

Or Sherman peels off his side and drops Stewart for a 3-4 yard gain. It's insane how much better Sherm is against the run. He's the most well rounded CB in the league.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
We were able to shut him down this year already without Kam or Bobby. I like our chances with out healthy starters back.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Hawks46":2g1yrhsm said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2g1yrhsm said:
Hawknballs":2g1yrhsm said:

Or Sherman peels off his side and drops Stewart for a 3-4 yard gain. It's insane how much better Sherm is against the run. He's the most well rounded CB in the league.
So true. Not that I personally need mainstream media validation for our guys, but I am surprised that Sherm's run coverage doesn't get much air time in the discussions about best corners. Everyone focuses on the "shutdown" aspect, but his ability and willingness to attack RBs in space – and succeed with great tackling – really sets him apart. Like you said, most well rounded.

Latest posts