Improvement in ou short yardage conversions

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Did anyone see the stat during the Steelers / Ravens game where they said the Steelers were 72% successful on 3rd and 3 or less? The graphic said that was #2 in the league, and the Seahawks led at 75%
That was an issue last year, where we were not very good in that situation. Analysts would bring that up as a surprising stat due to having Lynch in the backfield.

I'm guessing it's a combination of the great yaer Lynch is having and the great improvisation of Russell Wilson.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Our oline may not pass pro very well, but they are run blocking very well this year. Since that's what Carroll is looking for and why he brought in Cable, then that's a great stat to have.

Much as it pains me to see Russell constantly running for his life, that's the kind of QB Carroll was looking for because that's the kind of oline they want. One that can run the ball better than anyone and pass pro isn't a priority so the QB must be mobile.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":16or6nal said:
Our oline may not pass pro very well, but they are run blocking very well this year. Since that's what Carroll is looking for and why he brought in Cable, then that's a great stat to have.

Much as it pains me to see Russell constantly running for his life, that's the kind of QB Carroll was looking for because that's the kind of oline they want. One that can run the ball better than anyone and pass pro isn't a priority so the QB must be mobile.

Either that or they saw how elite Wilson's escapability was and didn't put a high priority on pass protection. Either way I think you're right and that Wilson being good at avoiding the rush and our OL being poor at pass protection is connected.

It's also pretty amazing that we averaged 173 ypg rushing this year. Russ has something to do with that, but it's still an incredible stat.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":1gywte87 said:
SalishHawkFan":1gywte87 said:

Either that or they saw how elite Wilson's escapability was and didn't put a high priority on pass protection. Either way I think you're right and that Wilson being good at avoiding the rush and our OL being poor at pass protection is connected.

It's also pretty amazing that we averaged 173 ypg rushing this year. Russ has something to do with that, but it's still an incredible stat.

It's quite the 'chicken or the egg' discussion at times, but I think we all know it's some of both. To look at it from another aspect, how about rhythm? Keep pounding the rock and eventually you get a feel for the matchup and establish a rhythm to the run blocking. Same goes for pass pro.

A few short completions to establish some confidence and rhythm; mix in some runs, then nail them with play action (while crossing you fingers). We finally have a WR that looks like a natural with the short-to-intermediate stuff, so that bodes well. Wish we still had Miller to make the manly graps. To be sure the OL is still way on the week end of the spectrum in pass pro. What looked like a large improvement in pass pro vs the Tards was actually Russ releasing in the nick of time. We still had chaos in the back field on anything close to a long-developing route.