Justin Renfrow signed to practice squad J Staten released

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/550798555963604992[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/RenfrowJustin/status/550678681245720576[/tweet]
10865114_306454046216988_903646468_n.jpg

iu

Justin is another conversion project. Spent this year with the Packers practice squad.

MB12

Reaction score
Obviously Pete and John have done brilliantly in the draft, but what on earth was the point on reaching for Staten when we could have had him as an UDFA?

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
They explained their thinking on the Jimmy Staten selection at the time of the last draft. That information is available in the archives of seahawks.com

Edit: My observation is that they like to keep a NT on the practice roster. They continue to rotate thru practice nose tackles. Who knows ... maybe they will discover and develop someone unusual and unique someday.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Staten will be back. He has to, he is my adopt a rookie.

cheese22

Reaction score
Can this be a move with the sole intention of information gathering? :?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Man the dude looks built like Raji or Woolfork..Would be sweet if we can make this guy a player..No more runs up the middle..

pehawk

Reaction score
Jville":3mol3vh2 said:
They explained their thinking on the Jimmy Staten selection at the time of the last draft. That information is available in the archives of seahawks.com

Anyone have a general summary? I'm curious what they said about Staten, I cant find it.

MB12

Reaction score
pehawk":3lfy1tb0 said:
Jville":3lfy1tb0 said:

Anyone have a general summary? I'm curious what they said about Staten, I cant find it.

Bump. I don't see how they can explain it as a non-reach

jlwaters1

Reaction score
MB12":1zdt9agl said:
pehawk":1zdt9agl said:
Jville":1zdt9agl said:

You can't definitively say it was a reach. No one can, you have no idea where he may or may not been on any other teams boards. You can't say with any certainty that he could have been had as a udfa.. Furthermore, once you get into the 5th -7th that's when it's "acceptable" (to the "experts ") to take a project pick with upside. That's what Staten was, I doubt anyone could call it much of a Reach.

MB12

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1234xlup said:
MB12":1234xlup said:
pehawk":1234xlup said:
Jville":1234xlup said:

You can't definitively say it was a reach. No one can, you have no idea where he may or may not been on any other teams boards. You can't say with any certainty that he could have been had as a udfa.. Furthermore, once you get into the 5th -7th that's when it's "acceptable" (to the "experts ") to take a project pick with upside. That's what Staten was, I doubt anyone could call it much of a Reach.

That is true yes, but I still feel we should have waited until the 7th at least. Absolutely no one knew anything about him!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Jville":3kn7vyvq said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/550798555963604992[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/RenfrowJustin/status/550678681245720576[/tweet]
10865114_306454046216988_903646468_n.jpg

iu

Justin is another conversion project. Spent this year with the Packers practice squad.
That's a big human right there.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2xuwi1x6 said:
MB12":2xuwi1x6 said:
pehawk":2xuwi1x6 said:
Jville":2xuwi1x6 said:

I thought it was a terrible pick at the time. Schneider described it in the same way he described the James Carpenter pick -- "a big, strong guy with athleticism." But Staten showed zero football instincts on his tape. We did need a guy with versatility to play three different spots; I just don't think Staten was the right guy. We have had several defensive linemen go down with injuries, but Staten was still too raw to call up from the PS. From a pure football player standpoint, he may be the rawest player they have drafted in the Carroll Era. But whatever, they took a shot on a big, strong-bodied guy in the 5th Round, and most 5th rounders don't pan out anyway.

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Staten is a big strong prospect with 10 inch hands. He was the last, with the make up they wanted, on their board when they selected him. He was the first of a foursome of guys they felt were under the radar to close out the 2014 draft ..... Staten, Scott, Pinkins and Small. On draft day, they have something on the order of 60 - 80 of "their" guys included on their draft day board. They are going to chose from that preselected group .... every year. They are not going to select from the favorites or board of anyone else .... not ESPN, not NFL network, not any draft blogs and not from the board of any esteemed .net member.

Looking for prospects under the radar is consistent with their style. The Seahawk program is a player development program. It functions in stark contrast to the program we experienced under Tim Ruskell. Today's program has had hits in the 5th round and some misses. They currently have 5th rounders in the program that are on schedule and still developing.

How they operate and what they are about is all in the archives. For those pressed for time or not interested in searching, they will once again explain it during the upcoming draft. Those explanations and answers will, as always, be reported thru print, radio, blogs and forums.

Go Hawks!