Fun Fact

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Right now, the Seahawks are allowing an average of 16.5 points per game. This is a touch more than the 14.4 allowed last season and the 15.3 allowed in 2012, but it's still a great number. It puts us at 1st in the league in scoring defense, and if we manage to hold St. Louis to fewer points than Detroit holds Green Bay, it will lock us in to that top ranking for the third year in a row.

But back to 16.5. Let's round it up to 17. It won't surprise you to learn that Seattle has won every game they've held an opponent to 17 points or less this season (it's happened 9 times). In fact, over the course of Wilson's tenure as our starting QB, we are 31-2 if we hold the opponent to 17 points or less (playoffs included).

The only two times we've lost when holding the opponent to 17 points or less are in 2012 on the road against SF and in 2013 at home against the Cardinals (in what is looking more and more like a fluke of a game). So it seems to me that we're right where we want to be defensively.

One last note: In the 2012 regular season, we held our opponents to 17 or less on 10 different occasions. In the 2013 regular season, we did it again on 10 different occasions. So far in 2014, we've done it 9 times, so we have one more to go. And yes, in each of those previous seasons, we did it to the Rams in the final game at home.

Conclusion: That 1st seed is locked up, folks (especially since the Lions/Packers game won't end in a tie... they've played each other 151 times since 1940 and only tied 6 times - the last time in 1973).

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Any given Sunday, but I feel as comfortable as I have the last 2 weeks.

byau

Reaction score
volsunghawk":27ddevn2 said:
Right now, the Seahawks are allowing an average of 16.5 points per game. This is a touch more than the 14.4 allowed last season and the 15.3 allowed in 2012, but it's still a great number. It puts us at 1st in the league in scoring defense, and if we manage to hold St. Louis to fewer points than Detroit holds Green Bay, it will lock us in to that top ranking for the third year in a row.

But back to 16.5. Let's round it up to 17. It won't surprise you to learn that Seattle has won every game they've held an opponent to 17 points or less this season (it's happened 9 times). In fact, over the course of Wilson's tenure as our starting QB, we are 31-2 if we hold the opponent to 17 points or less (playoffs included).

Sounds good.

Overall, just looking at the roster doing a smell test, at the beginning of the year you would have thought

* Our offense should be able to score at least 14 points against any team
* Our defense should be able to hold any team to 14 points or less (I would say 10 points for most teams, 14 points for elite teams)

With of course the "Any Given Sunday" caveat.

Which goes back to the discussion, during our slump, was it the injuries? Or the lack of team chemistry?

Regardless of which you thought it was, both are remediated now. Core guys back, lots of team love.

Love it

OP
OP
volsunghawk

volsunghawk

Reaction score
byau":xsw99iy6 said:
volsunghawk":xsw99iy6 said:

Sounds good.

Overall, just looking at the roster doing a smell test, at the beginning of the year you would have thought

* Our offense should be able to score at least 14 points against any team
* Our defense should be able to hold any team to 14 points or less (I would say 10 points for most teams, 14 points for elite teams)

With of course the "Any Given Sunday" caveat.

Which goes back to the discussion, during our slump, was it the injuries? Or the lack of team chemistry?

Regardless of which you thought it was, both are remediated now. Core guys back, lots of team love.

Love it

I think that during October is when the chemistry got real bad. Might have been bubbling a little in September, but full blown a month later. The injuries exacerbated the situation. Then, in November, the play was still spotty in some places, and I think that was a factor of the team restoring their chemistry and working through the injuries. In December, I think they feel like they're back to where they want to be and healthy.