Bennett's 2 offside penalties

seahawks51usc

Reaction score
Can someone look at the tape and see if the Center moved the ball forward? It seemed that on BOTH of those plays, the ball was 1/2 yard in front of where it should've been (i.e., the ball was ahead of where the refs had previously spotted the ball // also ahead of the NBC-generated "line marker" etc.).

I could very well see Bennett initially lining up onsides but then appearing offsides after the Center moved the ball forward.. just curious if that was the case.

boog_pdx

Reaction score
I saw the same thing. The center would move the ball forward about a foot when getting set.

evergreen

Reaction score
Centers are sneaky SOBs at least the good ones are

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Bennett had plenty of time to move, that was bad.

Oh well.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
WOW I just checked out the video on those plays, the play after the two flags clearly shows him moving it and the refs didn't flag the center for it. I need to cut that part and make a gif out of it.

Look at how far the ball is after the center had placed it from the line.

Flag1

Highlordb

Reaction score
wow i never saw that...if thats the case smart move on the center...too bad it didn't help a lick lol

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3q3hfkty said:
WOW I just checked out the video on those plays, the play after the two flags clearly shows him moving it and the refs didn't flag the center for it. I need to cut that part and make a gif out of it.

Look at how far the ball is after the center had placed it from the line.

Flag1

If we could see before he came up and grabbed the ball, then post him grabbing it and moving it up, that would be really helpful. :th2thumbs:

Exittium

Reaction score
As i stated in the officiating thread:

"And to those who mentioned the center moving the ball forward. They're correct. I rewatched the game this morning, and the AZ center actually seems to do it faithfully quiet a bit at the start of the game until AZ gets called for the false start then it seems to stop. Literally that center moves the ball forward from their 1st possession of the game until they're called for false start."

seedhawk

Reaction score
The center adjusting/moving the ball does not move the LOS.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if the center moves the ball, Bennett's still in the neutral zone..........twice.........in a row.

It's not rocket science, the D-lineman know where to line up. Not sure what Bennett was doing there.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe the center is allowed to move the ball a little bit as soon as he takes his stance. The LOS, though, should be the original position of the ball, and once the stance is taken, he can't move it again.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bennett was still obviously offsides. Regardless of what the Center was doing. I could tell there was going to be a flag for a neutral zone infraction before the ball was even snapped.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Isn't that ball suppose to be on or behind that line, he is way over it though so if Bennett is looking at the marker and lining up parallel to it then wouldn't he be in the right?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
This ball is at least 3-4 inches pass the line of marker (First Penalty)

Flag1 1

Ball is at least a foot past the line of marker (2nd Penalty)
Flag2

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the rules. I just always thought the ball should always be behind the LOS. So if the center moves the ball forward and it hits any part of the defenders hands and the defense gets a penalty out of it would that be a heads up play for instance like an offside which you take the snap and try to get a pass down real quick to get a free shot?

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I noticed it both times as well, and mentioned this on another thread last night. The center moved it forward nearly a foot on one snap. Bennett originally lined up correctly, then the ball moved forward and the ref didn't bother to take note, nor did Bennett make an adjustment.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
surely this isn't the first time a center has used the dreaded and mythical "move the ball forward" tactic in Bennett's career as a defensive lineman.

He needs to pay attention and stay on his side of the ball. like the rest of his team, who didn't seem perplexed by anything the center was doing. Just Bennett. Twice. In a row. When the game was still sort of a game.

Love Bennett but we don't need to bust out the JFK tape to defend him for doing something dumb.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Hawknballs"He needs to pay attention and stay on his side of the ball. like the rest of his team said:
Torn. I actually disagree. Going into the playoffs I'm glad Bennett has brought this to light. Football can be a game of inches, and when an offense can take 6-12 inches several times in a drive in will have an impact at some point. If anything, Bennett should have said something to the officials to get them to watch for it.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why this ball isn't behind that grayish line shown on TV?
Flag1

Look at where Larry Fitzgerald is
Offnzi

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Was definitely strange couple of plays but didn't matter much. I think Bennett was just too focused on the QB and got bit twice in a row.