You're Mr Bevell going against the Cards....

pehawk

Reaction score
How would you attack the Cardinals blitz-heavy scheme?

I like what draws and screens from the RB can do vs blitzes. It’s not as simple of a counter as a hot route, but, if it’s blocked correctly it creates more doubt in a DC’s head. Defeating a blitz with speed from your RB drives a DC to question blitzing more than anything else. I’m also a big fan of misdirection pitch-outs with the offense’s 3rd down/speed back. I would love, love, love to see Michael get at least two attempts at anything above. If it works, you have Michael behind the Card’s front seven matching his speed and jukes vs the Cards secondary.

As much as they’ve always quashed it, I still think it’s important to keep the Cards honest via the RO. The RO does what play-action used to for the Hawks; give a line built for mauling an extra beat in pass protection. I think the Hawks HAVE to make the Cards at least respect it.

I'm (bi) curious to hear your thoughts, assumptions, guesses, preferences on how the Hawks attack that defense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Best chance the cards have is scoring off turnovers. I expect they go extra conservative and those that dislike Bevell are in in for a rough day.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":2pofmix5 said:
Best chance the cards have is scoring off turnovers. I expect they go extra conservative and those that dislike Bevell are in in for a rough day.

Beating blitzing via the ground game IS conservative.

StoneCold

Reaction score
pehawk":fifw3enr said:
Basis4day":fifw3enr said:

In that case Bevell will start the game with 3 empty backfields. :(

SC

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
StoneCold":1z2rxv1z said:
pehawk":1z2rxv1z said:
Basis4day":1z2rxv1z said:

In that case Bevell will start the game with 3 empty backfields. :(

SC

Fair point indeed.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I dont think I would mind seeing some trickery plays. For example a lateral back for a flea flicker. That always is good for a long play. A toss to or handoff to our fullback is something we have had good skill with. I know they have seen some of it played during this season, but to bring it back and be successful with it would help our cause. It would show we are not all smashmouth.....even though we are. LOL Go hawks.
P.S. If Haushmoney has a chance to run the ball on a fake punt.....can he??

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
One of Bevell's strengths is trick plays. He's great at it, usually. I do like that idea, a flea flicker would/could do some damage.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I'd say anything we can do to throw just beyond their run blitzes will be hugely important. I just don't have much confidence in our OL, so to ask it to do too much, to me, is asking for disaster. We'll likely have to do a lot of RO and dink and dunk stuff similar to what San Diego did to us all those weeks ago.

It isn't rocket science, but we gotta figure out how to play matador with that aggressive AZ D.

enamel

Reaction score
It would be nice to get Helfet back. I think there will be critical third downs and plays on the edge of field goal range where we'll need Helfet, Moeaki and Tufuaku to make plays in the passing game. A few crucial 3rd and 6 plays could be the difference. We won't be able to go to the WRs with the Cards combo of coverage and pass rush, and I don't want to rely on Luke Wilson on any must-have plays.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I dont want to see a ton of play action, I don't think the Cards really respect it. Straight up dropbacks, pop pass off a read option, QB keepers with a line shift to take advantage of Russell running vs DBs who have their backs turned in man coverage. A Wham play or two so run gap blitzers think twice.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3o86o84e said:

Hauschka better not even be on the field in a punting situation.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":a7tj2o6y said:
Seahawkfan80":a7tj2o6y said:

Where's your imagination, sir?

Wham plays are a definite. I'll always be okay with a 3 and out in the 1st half if the series has at least one wham.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I would like them to pound the rock. I would be happy as a clam if we came out and used a short passing game that was heavy on the run. Move the pocket to give Russell more time and to keep him out of harms way.

SC

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
If I am Darrell Bevell, I am going to go 5 wide and try to block 6 rushers with 5 blockers.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3o49k623 said:
If I am Darrell Bevell, I am going to go 5 wide and try to block 6 rushers with 5 blockers.
I think you ARE Bevell. Hmmmm.

Mods, BAN BEVELL!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2bo5xkdq said:
AbsolutNET":2bo5xkdq said:
I think you ARE Bevell. Hmmmm.

Mods, BAN BEVELL!

This was a quiz, right? There's no way I got that wrong.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Short crossing routes, flare passes to Beast in the flat, draws for sure..........do we ever run a QB draw? That might have a real nice result as they seem to blitz off the edges lot. Would have to be called against that type of blitz (passing situation).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2e5m4vce said:
Seahawkfan80":2e5m4vce said:

Oops....I meant Jon Ryan...as opposed to Jack Ryan....sorry. :shock:

lobohawk

Reaction score
Would like to see Bevell change up some of the routes/runs out of their usual formations. Bowles seemed to be all over the plays called in the first game. Making the Hawks predictable and limiting the gains.