Arizona vs Seattle - Round 2

CardsForever

Reaction score
This weekend's game is certainly the biggest matchup of the year for both teams. With a victory both teams can claim the division (The Cardinals can even secure the #1 seed in the NFC).

Although I think it's unfortunate the Cardinals must turn to their 4th quarterback of the season I expect a competitive game. I believe the Cardinals coaching staff will do all they can to put Lindley in a situation to succeed. (Most likely scaling back the playbook - limiting the pass plays to 10 or less that he's comfortable with).

If Arizona can eliminate the mistakes from the last game (a missed field goal, an interception, a dropped TD & a blocked punt) I expect this game to be close to the very end. To me the X factor of the game is Arizona's special teams play. Field position killed the Cardinals in Seattle. And with Ryan Lindley at quarterback there will be added pressure on our rookie kicker to capitalize on his opportunities.

Here's 3 things I think the Cardinals have in their favor for this week 16 showdown:

1) The emergence of a rushing attack (specifically Kerwynn Williams). While the interior offensive line has played much better over the last two games (maybe that's in part because they finally started their first round draft pick from a season ago - LT Jonathan Cooper) Kerwynn Williams gained 100 yds on 19 carries against KC and 75 yds on 15 carries against St. Louis. That's good for an average of 5.1 yds per carry.

2) The game is in Arizona where they are 7-0 for the season. The fact that Ryan Lindley must play Seattle in Arizona and not Seattle is a huge factor. If Lindley were starting this game in Seattle I'd say Arizona's odds of winning would be 5% or less.

3) Limited film on Lindley. This point may sound ridiculous and isn't my strongest, but I believe Lindley's limited film will be to Arizona's advantage. Seattle must go back to Lindley's rookie season in 2012 in order to watch Lindley play for an extended amount of time (he played 4 games that year). The fact that there is limited film on Logan Thomas is an advantage as well considering BA says they will prepare a package of plays for Thomas this week. I understand both of these quarterbacks are inaccurate and inexperienced, but maybe just maybe they will catch Seattle off guard with some surprise looks.

With all that said here's to a great game and no more injuries.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Better pray for ST and Defensive scores, because a Lindley led offense is going to struggle to get 6 points on their own.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The myopia begins... The smoke is dissipating so the mirrors aren't gonna be enough for another win. Hell, the niners might even beat them next week.

OP
OP
C

CardsForever

Reaction score
Lindley does suck...But he doesn't need to win the game. I really do believe Arizona has more than a fighting chance to win. Are there several reasons why Seattle should win? Yes. But as we all know, anything is possible any given Sunday. Again, I think the fact that this game is in Arizona, on national television, where no one is giving the Cardinals a shot will be a big factor. This team plays better in the underdog role.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
CardsForever":pzpvj6gi said:
This weekend's game is certainly the biggest matchup of the year for both teams. With a victory both teams can claim the division (The Cardinals can even secure the #1 seed in the NFC).

Although I think it's unfortunate the Cardinals must turn to their 4th quarterback of the season I expect a competitive game. I believe the Cardinals coaching staff will do all they can to put Lindley in a situation to succeed. (Most likely scaling back the playbook - limiting the pass plays to 10 or less that he's comfortable with).

If Arizona can eliminate the mistakes from the last game (a missed field goal, an interception, a dropped TD & a blocked punt) I expect this game to be close to the very end. To me the X factor of the game is Arizona's special teams play. Field position killed the Cardinals in Seattle. And with Ryan Lindley at quarterback there will be added pressure on our rookie kicker to capitalize on his opportunities.

Here's 3 things I think the Cardinals have in their favor for this week 16 showdown:

1) The emergence of a rushing attack (specifically Kerwynn Williams). While the interior offensive line has played much better over the last two games (maybe that's in part because they finally started their first round draft pick from a season ago - LT Jonathan Cooper) Kerwynn Williams gained 100 yds on 19 carries against KC and 75 yds on 15 carries against St. Louis. That's good for an average of 5.1 yds per carry.

2) The game is in Arizona where they are 7-0 for the season. The fact that Ryan Lindley must play Seattle in Arizona and not Seattle is a huge factor. If Lindley were starting this game in Seattle I'd say Arizona's odds of winning would be 5% or less.

3) Limited film on Lindley. This point may sound ridiculous and isn't my strongest, but I believe Lindley's limited film will be to Arizona's advantage. Seattle must go back to Lindley's rookie season in 2012 in order to watch Lindley play for an extended amount of time (he played 4 games that year). The fact that there is limited film on Logan Thomas is an advantage as well considering BA says they will prepare a package of plays for Thomas this week. I understand both of these quarterbacks are inaccurate and inexperienced, but maybe just maybe they will catch Seattle off guard with some surprise looks.

I think this is a pretty fair analysis. I give the Cards about a 40% chance to win if in Seattle about 5%. I think SF was harder than at AZ. You didn't consider how hyped the Seahawks will be for the spotlight. The team plays big in big games, and we have much more to lose than AZ does.

I only way to take the hawks down is to run the ball well on them. Even if Lindley only throws 10 times he will throw a pick. I don't think the AZ Online can continuously run block well enough to win.

16-9 Seahawks

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CardsForever":3h7onzbr said:

The Seahawks defense is simple. Scheme wise it never really changes..

So I don't think limited film on Lindley matters at all to be honest. They're going to do the same defense they do whether it's Aaron Rodgers or Logan Thomas. That's one big reason why this defense is so good. Schematically speaking, its never too complicated and exotic.. players know where to be and what to do week after week.

Arians is a great coach and I suspect a couple of gadget plays.. but very seldom do big plays work against this defense. In fact, if you throw it deep and get fancy.. that just plays even more into the hands of the defense.

The only way the Cardinals offense will have any success Sunday night will be if they can run the ball and force a couple of turnovers with a short field. Even then, it may not be enough.

CardsForever":3h7onzbr said:
Again, I think the fact that this game is in Arizona, on national television, where no one is giving the Cardinals a shot will be a big factor. This team plays better in the underdog role.

I don't think the primetime element helps you at all. The Seahawks are one of those teams that downright FEEDS off the national spotlight. The last several primetime games involving the Seahawks have been laughers, save for the NFC Championship.

And the underdog role only goes so far.. end of the day, talent trumps all. Across the board the Seahawks have more talent than the Cardinals do right now.

DangerousDoug

Reaction score
As much as I try to see things from Arizona's POV, I just can't imagine a scenario where they come out on top. If Palmer is starting, it's a different story. Worst case for the Hawks is an ugly, low scoring game where they pull it out in the second half, 13-9 or so. More likely it is not that close, more like 23-10. I don't see a blowout, Arizona's D is tough and will lay it all on the line this week, they just don't have enough on the other side of the ball, especially the way the Hawks D is playing.

The Cardinals smoke and mirrors run out this week.

drdiags

Reaction score
I expect the game to be close, since the Seahawks pass pro can be spotty. The Seahawks did well in Arizona last year, but there were several turnovers by Palmer. I could see this game being close to what happened in St Louis last year, where some lightly used RB, Stacy I believe, had a pretty good game running and a 2nd or 3rd string QB had the Rams on the goal line with seconds to go.

I am not expecting the Cardinals to put up a bunch of points on offense, but ST play along with turnovers could cloud the outcome. I give the Cardinals a fighter's chance. Folks like to throw the smoke and mirrors comment out there and they may be right but I didn't think the Cards were going to beat the Chiefs or the Rams and they handled their business.

That Falcons loss though, man that was a break for the Seahawks and a WTH moment for the Cardinals.

Definitely iron sharpening iron the last quarter of the season. Physical game yesterday and two more coming up. Winning both would be very satisfying so that is the mindset I am going to go with. But I will be leery of the Cards and Rams until the final whistle blows.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":32z0c51h said:
Lindley sucks. He's going against the best defense in the league by far, with a brutal pass rush and a ridiculous secondary. We're going to stack 8 or 9 in the box and dare Lindley to throw on us, and then we're going to beat the living shit out of the Cardinals for four quarters of football. This game is over before it even starts. You have no shot at winning.

:shock: :lol:

Hawks46

Reaction score
If the Cards simplify the offense for Lindley and only run 10 pass plays, they're going to have a long night. Our Defense is not only fast and physical but very cerebral. If the Cards only run 10 plays, our guys will know what plays/formations that they're seeing and shut them down. Sherman and Maxwell can run the routes for the WRs when they know what's up.

I don't see the Cardinals beating Seattle at it's own game. They aren't going to run the ball to win. They have been near the bottom of the league the entire year; yes, they have done well the last two games but I don't see the mentality or will to be able to keep pounding with short runs until something breaks. On the other hand, they may do alright since they really don't have much of a choice. They just aren't going to be able to throw on us. The only thing I can see happening through the air is Lindley lobbing a few up and us getting some cheap PI penalties for ratings to keep it close.

Saying it's at the Cards isn't really that big of a factor. It's like saying we hadn't lost in 2 years at home, until the Cards came in and beat us. We also won down there decisively last year.

Prime time game helps us. Under Carroll, we're 11-1 in prime time games. That's at home, and away. Matter of fact, the league doesn't give us that many home prime time games as they always end up in a blow out. This team will be just as up for a prime time game as the Cards will be to play at home.

I see a 13-6 game coming.

lukerguy

Reaction score
CardsForever":29dz6yeg said:

They have film and experience with Lindley to the tune of 58-0.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
For what its worth from espn http://espn.go.com/blog/arizona-cardinals

Lindley enters the game with 181 pass attempts without a touchdown, the most in NFL history, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. For a team that's scored two touchdowns in its past four games, that's not the news Arizona wants to hear. The Seahawks have allowed just two passing touchdowns and intercepted four passes in their past five games -- which included Arizona in Week 12.

Since 2012, Lindley has the worst completion percentage (51.4), fewest yards per attempt (4.3), least amount of touchdowns (0) and lowest total QBR (9.1) among 60 quarterbacks with a minimum of 150 pass attempts, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

and

Yet, there's hope.

As a rookie in 2012, Lindley liked the middle of the field, where opposing quarterbacks have been successful against the Seahawks this season. He was 43-for-68 (63.2 percent) on passes between the numbers from 0 to 19 yards, per Pro Football Focus. This year, quarterbacks have completed 68.1 percent of their passes of any distance between the numbers against the Seahawks for eight touchdowns and four interceptions.

kearly

Reaction score
I would be stunned if Williams did much. Seattle has no reason to fear Lindley, you can be sure their focus all week will be on Arizona's run game. Arizona will need short fields and cheap points to score in this one.

The only reason I don't think Seattle blows Arizona out is because Lynch has struggled to run on them in their last two meetings. Bowles can run circles around Bevell too. This game will probably come down to Wilson, who played the worst game of his life against AZ a year ago.

If Seattle's offense clicks for just one quarter, that will probably be enough to win. Arizona needs this game to be as ugly as possible to have any hope.

Everyone is saying it won't be another 19-3 game, but this game definitely has a 19-3 kind of feel for me. Maybe a 13-3 game if Lindley miraculously avoids interceptions.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I agree that if Arizona's Defense can make this game ugly, they have a chance to pull an upset. Their Defense gives our Offense fits, and I wouldn't be surprised if Arians throws something out there that we've never seen to try and catch us off guard.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Sherman will get an INT this game, something tells me he gets one. If we keep hitting the middle like Kam's been doing it's just playing into our hands if Lindley passes there. I think we are due a pick 6.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The implications of the current money line is that Vegas thinks the Hawks are 79% likely to win. I would have put it at 85% or so but Vegas is right more often than I am.

I see five factors that contribute to the Cardinals 21% odds of winning.
1) Seahawks suffer key injuries (2%)
2) Multiple Seahawks turnovers on offense (2%)
3) Too many Seahawks penalties (5%)
4) Seahawks run defense collapses (maybe a result of #1) (2%)
5) Special teams mayhem (10%)

The only one that really worries me is the last one. Our special teams have not been nearly as special this year as they should be given how many good players we have on the unit.

peppersjap

Reaction score
All I can say is if the Cards win this game my hat is off to them. I would find it hard for us to play with TJack much less be faced with a QB who wasn't on our roster earlier in the year stepping in. They have overcome more than any other team in the league this year. I can't imagine us not coming in fired up for this one though and walking out with a win and then taking the division and home field.

DrDix

Reaction score
Cards have rush game in their favor? Sorry, not even close.

No film on third string QB? Lol? We're the #1 defense that has not lost to Rodgers, Manning, Brady......Once again wrong.

The Cards have it at home, that is all that is in their favor for Sunday Night.