Bevell actually set them up pretty good with the run

hawknation2014

Reaction score
In the first half, it seemed like we were determined to run Lynch through the left B gap over and over again with no success, due to Fletcher Cox shutting down that gap. There was some adjustment in the 2nd half, and we began to see more success with runs to other areas of the line. By that point, Barwin was suckered into attacking the backfield because he lost containment and overpursued on several runs through the right side.

Another weird thing to me was how they were using Will Tufuafu. He played his most snaps of the season (25), and blocked well, but 23 of those 25 snaps were running plays. If he was in the game, they knew exactly what was coming. By the time the offense threw the ball with him in the game, the defense was so keyed on the run that they were caught with their pants down when Tufuafu rolled out of the backfield for the easy first down catch.

Bevell's play calling was frustrating and seemingly predictable and nonsensical for most of the first half. But they obviously had a strong game plan in place that paid good dividends after half time. They wore the defense down and caught them by surprise when they expected predictability.

justafan

Reaction score
I have defended Bevel down the line but my beef is the executuion.For all the good they do they shoot themselves in the foot with delay of game penalties and dead ball fouls.Sveral times this game they took bad losses on 3rd down that could have cost them yestrday.
People talk like Kelly is a genius.His strong point is the way he gets his teams to execute.They run simple plays and they run them over and over.The difference is until yesterday they out executed teams.

pehawk

Reaction score
You're right, Bevell called a good game. He was setting things up via the commitment to the run.

I'll never have an issue with 1 or 2 yards runs, ever. They're bodyblows that always pay dividends later.

Also, Russell played a bad first half, or it wouldn't have been a close game.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Exactly, it's interesting to watch when you figure out what they're trying to do. Pete trusts that his defense will keep them close through three quarters, so the offense patiently works in the first half to set up things in the second half. It's no fluke that the Hawks have iced the last three games deep in their opponents' territory by taking knees.

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1btnsopj said:
In the first half, it seemed like we were determined to run Lynch through the left B gap over and over again with no success, due to Fletcher Cox shutting down that gap. There was some adjustment in the 2nd half, and we began to see more success with runs to other areas of the line. By that point, Barwin was suckered into attacking the backfield because he lost containment and overpursued on several runs through the right side.

Another weird thing to me was how they were using Will Tufuafu. He played his most snaps of the season (25), and blocked well, but 23 of those 25 snaps were running plays. If he was in the game, they knew exactly what was coming. By the time the offense threw the ball with him in the game, the defense was so keyed on the run that they were caught with their pants down when Tufuafu rolled out of the backfield for the easy first down catch.

Bevell's play calling was frustrating and seemingly predictable and nonsensical for most of the first half. But they obviously had a strong game plan in place that paid good dividends after half time. They wore the defense down and caught them by surprise when they expected predictability.

Didn't they have almost 200 yards on offense in the first half. At least 3 long drives and dominating time of possession. I think Bevell called a fine game throughout, but Philly is a good team.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I really would like to see some variation on first down.

But all in all the play calls seemed fine, it's just Wilson doesn't like to take chances in tight windows so he ends up holding onto the ball quite a long time.

Bevell didn't bother me today and that's a good thing.

Largent80

Reaction score
Like Pe said, staying with the run is punishing that defense regardless of if they are slowing it down.

As the game rolls on it's way easier to block a run than defend it, and we have the 3 headed monster attack that is tough to stop, and then throw in RW and it is a good problem to have. I thought Bevell had a good game.

A

Anonymous

The game had a feel to it that the coaching staff wanted to test the defense with a lot of things, early on. Very early. I noticed that by the end of the first we had it all figured out and were cranking along nicely. There were a few negative results (duh) but I think we outplayed Chip on the chess-board about as best as we could have expected.

I mean, seeing him crying to the refs so early and often in the game was priceless.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Wilson is coached to hold on to ball and not force anything. It drives me nuts at times but considering the defense we have Pete is probably right to have him play that way. When its needed he does take chances and throw into tight windows. We saw it in the Atlanta playoff game, the 4th and 7 against the Niners and multiple other times. It's just not how Pete wants him to play most of the time and it seems to work.

I've criticized Bevell on this forum before but I thought he did a great job today. He seems to be out of his slump as well and this team is running on all cylinders. They need to clean up some pre-snap penalties and some other minor issues but they are playing very good football.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":34vhooo1 said:
You're right, Bevell called a good game. He was setting things up via the commitment to the run.

I'll never have an issue with 1 or 2 yards runs, ever. They're bodyblows that always pay dividends later.

Also, Russell played a bad first half, or it wouldn't have been a close game.

I agree. We keep pounding with the run, coupled with the Eagles going 3 and out so quickly. Hell, a lot of those 3 and outs didn't take 1 minute off the clock ! That will add up, although I give props to Philly's DL as they were scrappy well into the 4th quarter.

We were seeing Cox blow up the left side runs, but we were doing better on the right side. Even though our pass pro on the right side is borderline terrible, our run blocking is really good there.

I also think Wilson wasn't sharp in the 1st half. He still needs to work on throwing the ball away a bit sooner, and not taking sacks when you absolutely can't (grounding call cost us 3 points). He looked like the Wilson of last year in the 2nd half though, and that's encouraging.

I love how we set up the Eagles with the run, then hit them with passes over the LBers heads' in the 3rd quarter. That defense was completely on it's heels while we were slicing them with the pass. Like Pe said, you set them up with short runs (body blows), then hit them with the pass ,which we haven't been doing so much this year.

I actually can't complain about Bevell this game. Some people take exception to consistently running towards a guy (Cox) that is disruptive, but there are two philosophies: you go away from that guy and let it affect your offense, or you keep running your offense hoping to wear him down.

sam1313

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that we had a bubble screen that actually worked??? (Bevell, this does not mean that I condone bubble screens!)

Anyway, I agree on the play calling. Only 1 bubble screen (and it worked for a change), and never let up on our commitment to the run.

My only complaint is that it is hard to watch RW get rag dolled when he runs the read option sometimes. Damn he is a good, tough quarterback. We are incredibly lucky.

kearly

Reaction score
I thought Bevell called a good game, but this game, and really every game over the past three weeks, has been all about Pete. Getting back to grinding teams down. That's Pete, and maybe Cable too.

Seattle stuck with the run and found ways to make it work despite a fairly dominant performance from the Eagles run D through three quarters. It wasn't until that very last drive that the Eagles run D started to look worn down.

Seattle did the same thing to SF and AZ. It is so impressive when you can wear down even a top 10 run D. But to do it three weeks in a row to upper-echelon run defenses? Dayum.

My first thought after the game was over was how Pete deserved huge props for sticking with the run all game despite how difficult it was.

Side note. Michael is quietly having a very nice season. Just 24 carries, but he's averaging 6.0 yards per carry and these carries aren't 3rd and long draws or anything, but legit running plays. I thought it was telling when he had some very nice runs against stacked boxes in this game. It seems like Michael shines the brightest against tough teams with tiny cracks in the armor.

capncrunch

Reaction score
The running game was bottled up fairly well by the Eagles, but we were able to get the passing game going pretty well. It was great to see so many different receivers. There was a deep ball and some nice intermediated passes to wide receivers. Yes, one successful bubble screen, It was great to see some Norwood and Richardson catches. We had some nice runs by Russell. We're getting to see a lot of Lynch, but also finally some MIchael. The big guy in for blocking and even a catch. An end around that actually worked okay. Yeah. I liked Bevell's game. Go Hawks!

12evanf

Reaction score
Part of the game plan that allowed success was chewing up the clock, which was helped with the stout performance by our D.

A thought I had during the game was how much time Russell uses by scrambling and how our plays seem to last longer than that of other teams which would obviously help in tiring out opposing defenses. Is there a stat to compare team play durations?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They were flat out gassed in the 2nd half. Thus, the running game was working in the 4th quarter. Great game plan.

sutz

Reaction score
It's not just in-game. They look ahead a couple of games, and as long as it doesn't reduce our chances to win the current game, they are setting things up for our next couple of opponents. Most teams will watch 3-4 games of film on their next opponent, so these last few games are lining up to impress some coaches and players as we move forward, and to set them up for some new twists, which I'll expect in the playoffs, if not in the next 3 games. I think our guys also look ahead.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Bevell called a great game.

I'm not sure if it's been Pete or Russell's reluctance to turn the ball over, but the lack of deep shots on PA have been noticeable this season. Can anyone remember the last time our WR got behind the entire secondary for a TD? Lockette week 3?

So we finally take a shot and go deep to Baldwin, and what do you know? We get a 50 yard PI penalty on PHI. We need to take at least 1 or 2 shots a game. If it gets picked, well then it's like a punt. How many INTs have you seen on balls thrown over 40 yards in the RW era? I can't remember one.

The risk seems low, and the reward high. WRs are often in single coverage due to Lynch/Wilson threat. Anyone else agree we need to take more deep shots per game?

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, you can't stretch the defense if you don't even attempt to throw the ball deep. Conversely, if you do try it, teams have to respect it. Then they can't stack the box.

The other really nice feature of pounding so hard with the run in the 1st half, is that Philly will keep their big lunkers in there on the DL. Those guys typically aren't as good at rushing the QB, so that could also explain why Russ looked so much cleaner in the 2nd half and had more time (that and DL fatigue).

A

Anonymous

Curiously, the TE wasn't AS big of a deal in this game.

This weekend, different story. They'll figure in big-time against the Niners.

Latest posts