ESPN - "Waiting for Wilson"

FargoHawk

Reaction score
FYI - looks like ESPN is running a story on Sunday morning about how the Seahawks drafted Wilson. They are talking to Schneider, Carroll, Wilson, and 4 other personnel/scout guys. One tidbit they say is that Schneider started wanting Wilson the summer before the draft.

Looks good! As a draft guy, looking forward to see this.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the scoop.

Is it on Outside the Lines? Looked for it to DVR but didn't see it.

Thanks again and Go Hawks!

jlaff35

Reaction score
Man, this would be great to see. It's ESPN's attempt to retain the Seattle viewers who will want to watch the NFL Network pregame show in order to see the exclusive Marshawn Lynch interview with Michael Robinson. Thank God for DVR's!

OP
OP
FargoHawk

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Looks like it will during NFL Countdown.

Sorry, I saw the link on twitter and don't know how to post a link here.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The scuttlebutt on the Wilson pick, at the time of the draft, was that JS wanted Russ in the 1st rd. Pete believed (knew) Wilson could be had later. Revisit the war room on that day. After the 75th pick, you will recall an exuberant Pete, standing behind JS with his hands on JS's shoulders, clearly in celebration mode. JS, otoh, didn't look quite as excited as Pete. We know now that JS was feeling more relief than excitement.

It's funny how things pan out. 100% (+/-) of us are stoked we got RW with that pick. 100% (+/-) would applaud Pete's "waiting on Wilson". But in reality, even including the substantial contract difference between a 3rd and 1st, it's likely 100% (+/-) of us now wish we would have used our 1st on RW instead of that 3rd, thus giving us the extra year of his services without re-upping his deal. That would give us 5 years of Wilson at (approx.) 2 million per.

What I find funny about that draft is many had Bruce slated as a 3rd rder. Imagine had we took RW in the 1st, Bruce in the 3rd. And more so, Pete, knowing what he knew about Wilson's projected draft spot, could have traded all the way down from 15 to the end of the rd, picking up an additional 2 in the process.

In any event, it all worked out well for both franchise, fans and player. I don't get the impression Wilson is struggling to make ends meet. I look forward to watching the show and appreciate this head's up.

edogg23

Reaction score
Just an FYI the 5th year on a qb in the first round that year would probably be around 16 million. Still would be nice though.

gargantual

Reaction score
Yeah, but remember a team came out after the draft admitting that they were going to pull the trigger on Irvin in the next several picks, so he we couldn't have waited even another round, much less until the 3rd round to pick him up.

I'm still OK with the Bruce pick. He's turned into quite a player for us, versatile and just plain badass.

Overall, the 2012 draft was phenomenal and I wouldn't change it considering the results.

HawkWow

Reaction score
edogg23":2dq09vmo said:
Just an FYI the 5th year on a qb in the first round that year would probably be around 16 million. Still would be nice though.

That I did not know. So basically it's no more advantageous than just using the F tag? I assumed the 5th year option was more of a carry over, paying the player the same as his salary the year before. Not really a huge benefit and in fact, not much at all when considering the 6 mil (1.5 per) saved the previous 4 years by taking the player in the 3rd.

Gargantual: No disagreement from me. Wilson, Wags, Turbin and Sweezy just awesome picks. Less thrilled with what we've got from Bruce considering him at 15. Some of that his fault but certainly not all. He is turning into a machine and that's great news. The not so great news is he will need to be paid like one year after next. But it's funny how the mind works. I'd love the Bruce pick at #75 but money aside, what difference does it make? Sensational draft and we need another just like it next April to make up for the not so spectacular drafts since. IMO.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
The rumors of the FO avoiding to extend Wilson is even more ridiculous with this insight about the draft.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I personally see more upside than down in not (yet) extending Wilson. Certainly it comes down to the millions, as in, how many will RW settle for? But we are holding the cards here, not Russ. (It's biness). We can play him next year at his current salary, then F-tag him the following year for no more than what we'd likely have to pay him to extend.

What's the worst case? Russ would get pissed...then what?

This franchise has been very good to Russ. Reports suggest only Philly was seriously looking at him and they obviously weren't looking very hard. I love Russ Wilson. I don't want to lose Russ Wilson but he has not progressed enough as a passer to warrant a 20 mil per deal, imo. I doubt Russ and his people would disagree with that statement. So we sit down with Russ and co, explain the situation and tell him he will need to make strides in the passing dept next year. If he does, we will open the check book. If he keeps being more football player than QB, we will have to evaluate the situation with the option of F-tagging him.

This is all just my opinion but saving 15 mil this upcoming year could mean another championship for this franchise. I sincerely doubt Russ will go into pout mode and play a lesser game. That wouldn't be prudent. Again, we are holding the cards and whether Paul wrote the checks or Microsoft, Braun (etc) wrote the checks, this franchise has made Russ a household name and a very rich young man. I'm not worried.

pmedic920

Reaction score
jlaff35":1ccfcjqw said:
Man, this would be great to see. It's ESPN's attempt to retain the Seattle viewers who will want to watch the NFL Network pregame show in order to see the exclusive Marshawn Lynch interview with Michael Robinson. Thank God for DVR's!

Sorry, would help if I'd read the thread before posting, huh.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
HawkWow":3o1fzg09 said:
I personally see more upside than down in not (yet) extending Wilson. Certainly it comes down to the millions, as in, how many will RW settle for? But we are holding the cards here, not Russ. (It's biness). We can play him next year at his current salary, then F-tag him the following year for no more than what we'd likely have to pay him to extend.

This franchise has been very good to Russ. Reports suggest only Philly was seriously looking at him and they obviously weren't looking very hard. I love Russ Wilson. I don't want to lose Russ Wilson but he has not progressed enough as a passer to warrant a 20 mil per deal, imo. I doubt Russ and his people would disagree with that statement. So we sit down with Russ and co, explain the situation and tell him he will need to make strides in the passing dept next year. If he does, we will open the check book. If he keeps being more football player than QB, we will have to evaluate the situation with the option of F-tagging him.

This is all just my opinion but saving 15 mil this upcoming year could mean another championship for this franchise. I sincerely doubt Russ will go into pout mode and play a lesser game. That wouldn't be prudent. Again, we are holding the cards and whether Paul wrote the checks or Microsoft, Braun (etc) wrote the checks, this franchise has made Russ a household name and a very rich young man. I'm not worried.

Well I'm glad you're not in charge. If we extend him this off season even for $20m+ the first few years we can mitigate the cap hit. Kraep's cap hit is $3m this year. Next year its only $12m. Then it jumps in year 3. If we go the franchise route, in addition to pissing him off, he gets his meager 2015 salary but then the franchise tag will be $17m+ (maybe higher by 2016). In effect we save no money and just make him mad at the front office.

ETA: In addition to that we want to extend Wilson before Luck or Newton sign. Once they sign he will be able to point to those contracts as examples he wants. I wouldnt be surprised if Luck gets $25m/yr. We don't want Wilson pointing to that deal as an example of what he wants.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":29bahazv said:

I kind of have to disagree on using the Franchise Tag on RW, because he's one of the very, very few Quarterbacks in the League that isn't asked to throw a bunch.
Russell Wilson isn't your usual run of the mill Quarterbacks, and the Seahawks know how lucky they are to have a guy that can extend plays beyond the ordinary.
There's not a doubt in my mind that he would be snapped up by a team that wants to contend, and paid the 20 mil.
Can you imagine what the Cards would look like with RW on their roster?, the Eagles? Rams?
I think Franchise tagging him would be an insult, and pretty cheesy, given that he's probably doing everything that he's being asked to do.

HawkWow

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2bed34d1 said:
HawkWow":2bed34d1 said:

Well I'm glad you're not in charge. If we extend him this off season even for $20m+ the first few years we can mitigate the cap hit. Kraep's cap hit is $3m this year. Next year its only $12m. Then it jumps in year 3. If we go the franchise route, in addition to pissing him off, he gets his meager 2015 salary but then the franchise tag will be $17m+ (maybe higher by 2016). In effect we save no money and just make him mad at the front office.

ETA: In addition to that we want to extend Wilson before Luck or Newton sign. Once they sign he will be able to point to those contracts as examples he wants. I wouldnt be surprised if Luck gets $25m/yr. We don't want Wilson pointing to that deal as an example of what he wants.

Are you serious?

You're glad I'm not in charge of this franchise? I have no idea why you wish to hate on me like this. Very hurtful. I wish I had a dog, a little fluffy one. I'd name it Luck then kick the crap out of it.

Speaking of Luck. Luck is a much better pure QB than Russell Wilson and that's not a debate Russ' people would wish to bring to the table. But...Russ is a much better QB than Cam Newton. I suggest his contract amount should be somewhere between the 2. I think Luck is worth 20 per. Newton 12. So there you go, we give Wilson 16.

Still think I shouldn't run this franchise?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1jwa7yk3 said:
HawkWow":1jwa7yk3 said:

I kind of have to disagree on using the Franchise Tag on RW, because he's one of the very, very few Quarterbacks in the League that isn't asked to throw a bunch.
Russell Wilson isn't your usual run of the mill Quarterbacks, and the Seahawks know how lucky they are to have a guy that can extend plays beyond the ordinary.
There's not a doubt in my mind that he would be snapped up by a team that wants to contend, and paid the 20 mil.
Can you imagine what the Cards would look like with RW on their roster?, the Eagles? Rams?
I think Franchise tagging him would be an insult, and pretty cheesy, given that he's probably doing everything that he's being asked to do.

I think that's right. Regardless of where Wilson went in the draft, he was going to get a long-term extension in the first off season he is allowed to get an extension under the rules.

pehawk

Reaction score
If HawkWow ran the franchise we wouldn't have traded for Percy. Of course in this scenario, I'd be Pete and once Wow declined to procure me Harvin, I'd talk him into Sproles or Reggie Bush instead. A different hybrid.

The Wilson pick also helped us separate the hacks from the knowledgeable bloggers. Kearly deserves from love. He ditched the usual emotional and practical insurance of hedging his belief in Wilson. Tip of the cap and sniff of the mule, Skip Laterbeer!

irocdave

Reaction score
The coming offseason will be the right time to work over Wilson's deal. He has made some decent coin doing commercials but he is due a big time raise. I would think one stipulation of his new contract would be to invest in the O line.

Honestly, I'm more interested in the Lynch interview. I'll watch the show about Wilson being drafted on youtube.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
HawkWow":3dfkrbb4 said:
EverydayImRusselin":3dfkrbb4 said:
HawkWow":3dfkrbb4 said:

Are you serious?

You're glad I'm not in charge of this franchise? I have no idea why you wish to hate on me like this. Very hurtful. I wish I had a dog, a little fluffy one. I'd name it Luck then kick the crap out of it.

Speaking of Luck. Luck is a much better pure QB than Russell Wilson and that's not a debate Russ' people would wish to bring to the table. But...Russ is a much better QB than Cam Newton. I suggest his contract amount should be somewhere between the 2. I think Luck is worth 20 per. Newton 12. So there you go, we give Wilson 16.

Still think I shouldn't run this franchise?

I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it comes off that way, I apologize.

So you think Luck is worth less than Flacco? Also Grigson will take his GM of the year award and probably try to hand Luck $30m/yr so that people can continue to say that Luck just needs a better team around him. I genuinely think Luck will have the biggest annual deal ever. $25m is the floor I think, especially given the salary cap inflation recently.