Bill Davis Jr. has the zone-read Seahawks advantage

Hawks46

Reaction score
He's right. We probably won't have much with the read option. Wilson won't have open field to the outside, and they will know how to crash down on Lynch.

It doesn't mean they can stop Lynch. Wilson hasn't been keeping a lot on the read option lately.

Also, when Wilson drops back to pass, then scrambles for 15 yards, that's not the read option. And it's where he gets most of his yards.

OP
OP
tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Not very likely we will play into their hand. Pretty shallow and overconfident approach.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Best thing about the read option could be the threat of using it, whether Hawks decide to run it or not. The Eagles may practice against it (I might question how much- why practice against your own offensive scheme?), but they won't know when it's coming. If they cover it well, it may open other options for the offense. Pete/Bevell are pretty good at flexing schemes imo. Might not see the RO at all or only in select situations. Or maybe run it half the plays just to force them to cover. Guess we'll see on Sunday.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Russ has had potential for huge runs out of the read option but seems to never keep it lately. I've seen multiple plays over the past few weeks where the outside defender supposed to keep containment bites immediately to Lynch and crashes down but Lynch still gets it. Aldon Smith did a good job last week keeping outside containment but Marshawn still gashed them.

It could either be a safety/ball control thing or planning to exploit later type deal, but I can't remember many since the Redskins game where Russ killed them all night. Maybe we just haven't needed to call it later in the game. Not that I'm complaining, our running game has been unreal.

I think RO will be used but we should be able to run the ball down their throats IMO without the slight of hand. This is probably the weakest defense we've faced since the Redskins (NFC east defenses :roll: ) and wouldn't be shocked for RW to get another 100 yard effort.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Most around the NFL would say that Wilson makes the Read Option work so well, but IMO, it's more what Lynch does that makes it work. Teams will try to contain Wilson by holding the edge, but you can only get away with that so often with Lynch running the ball and guys will eventually try to cheat in a little bit and then it opens up for Wilson. Sure, having the threat of Wilson does help Lynch run as it causes guys to think for a second and by then Lynch is plowing by. I also don't wish to have this misunderstood....Wilson's ability to read defenses and know when to pull the ball and when to leave it with Lynch that also makes it work, but I doubt it works as well without a back like Lynch who can keep teams honest in the middle.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
San Fran has a zone read, and it worked on them a time or two.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Good, when they keep an extra guy in as a spy, Russell can throw it over his head while we attack that 26th ranked offense.

And the reason they are 12th against the rush is because teams like Dallas are always playing catch up.

This guy gets paid to write crap like this? It was difficult to read.

"This season has Wilson has been the true definition of a"

"From the aspect of them knowing the answers right away they've defended it so much, as an NFL lifer, I haven't head to have those kind of [zone read] discussions very much in my career." Huh?

"Sometimes we even see it during the course of the week when we do some good on good week, we defend the read option."

"there is still a difference between going against the zone-read in practice and when live bullets are being thrown during a game situation."

lobohawk

Reaction score
AZ played the read-option well and ate up Russell when he kept it. In their case, I think they cheated a safety up and he was hidden by the end of the line, so Wilson often didn't see him and the safety was fast enough to track him down. Most other teams use a LB and they can't always contain.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kidhawk":135wpm64 said:
Most around the NFL would say that Wilson makes the Read Option work so well, but IMO, it's more what Lynch does that makes it work. Teams will try to contain Wilson by holding the edge, but you can only get away with that so often with Lynch running the ball and guys will eventually try to cheat in a little bit and then it opens up for Wilson. Sure, having the threat of Wilson does help Lynch run as it causes guys to think for a second and by then Lynch is plowing by. I also don't wish to have this misunderstood....Wilson's ability to read defenses and know when to pull the ball and when to leave it with Lynch that also makes it work, but I doubt it works as well without a back like Lynch who can keep teams honest in the middle.

it's both. don't hold the edge RW kills you. Hold the edge, Beast kills you. RW is leading the league in yards per carry and is the best running qb in the league. ML is perhaps the best RB in the league. It's a great combo.

Always up to the qb to hold or go on the RO. RW is cautious and as he said he would rather hand it to Beast. PC probably likes it that way too.

chet380

Reaction score
lobohawk":yqwqd8a9 said:
AZ played the read-option well and ate up Russell when he kept it. In their case, I think they cheated a safety up and he was hidden by the end of the line, so Wilson often didn't see him and the safety was fast enough to track him down. Most other teams use a LB and they can't always contain.

It's a certainty that the Philly coaches have studied that tape extensively.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Oh goodie! A duel threat! Will they be throwing around live bullets at each other?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
They can contain the read option but most of the time, it's when Wilson scrambles for a pass or run to get a 1st down is what kills most teams. The other NFC West teams all have been burned by Wilson one way or another. They have more advantage by playing him twice a year than anyone else in the league to have an advantage over him, but none really have an answer. It's the hardest thing to do when defending a player that make plays that's not in a playbook.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Pick your poison. When a team puts so much time and energy to take away a teams strength they usually expose themselves. They may want to call Denver on the subject.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
Just read this article and noticed Wilson was referred to as a "duel-threat." I don't think there's much of a chance Russ pulls out a pair flint-lock pistols for this game.

Without having gone back and watched the game again, I can only think of maybe 2 plays where we got more than a couple rushing yards off the read option, both keeps by Wilson. Other than that, I would say the Eagles D' played it really well. Most of Beast's yards came off of straight hand-offs. Someone feel free to correct/corroborate.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":3f0v9tg8 said:
Just read this article and noticed Wilson was referred to as a "duel-threat." I don't think there's much of a chance Russ pulls out a pair flint-lock pistols for this game.

Without having gone back and watched the game again, I can only think of maybe 2 plays where we got more than a couple rushing yards off the read option, both keeps by Wilson. Other than that, I would say the Eagles D' played it really well. Most of Beast's yards came off of straight hand-offs. Someone feel free to correct/corroborate.

And a 26 yard rushing TD from RW.....Trent Cole bit on the handoff and RW was clear to the end zone....oops