Hawks v. Niners over before it really got started?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
To be honest I'm kinda bummed about all this news of Harbaugh being gone after this year.

Chances are, the Seahawks will beat the 49ers in a couple weeks regardless of the philly game; we just own them at home and after last week excuse me for not thinking they have much of a shot here in our house.

That'll push the record s to 5-1 in the last 6 meetings between these two teams with the only SF win coming on a last second field goal in there house in a game where honestly Seattle still looked like the better team.

As much as has been made of the rivalry between the teams, it hasn't amounted to much outside of an obviously spectacular NFC Title game. So many in the media have built it up as this tremendous matchup but really, there haven't been many great games.

The 2011 Seahawks were obviously not as good as the 2011 49ers, and the rivalry was just starting. That last game was decent and you could see the dislike brewing between the teams, but it would be a stretch to say it meant much.

In 2012, the first game down in SF was ugly for both teams and about as far from a good game as you can get. I was there and disappointed by the football I was seeing out of both teams. Then Seattle destroyed them at home in a game that was lop-sided from the get-go.

In 2013, the home schedule opened with a tough first half between the two teams, but turned into a Seattle blow-out. The second game was close and the niners got the win but I wouldn't say it was a 'great' game.

The NFC title game last year is really the one game that was truly epic.

This past Thanksgiving game - well we know how that went. The score was merciful considering how out-played SF was.

In the past 5 games, Seattle's outscored the 49ers 130-53 and SF has never scored more than 17 points in the past 6 meetings.

This isn't meant to be a niner-bashing post but for all the talk this "rivalry" is going to lose steam without Harbaugh. Hopefully something can replace it if that happens. Hopefully they get another coach we can dislike enough that makes the team competitive enough to keep this rivalry going.

kobebryant

Reaction score
All the 49ers have on the Hawks were some close victories at Candlestick on short weeks for the Hawks. The Hawks have the blowouts, the head to head playoff victory, a Super Bowl, and the infliction of injuries.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Nope. I'd be just fine with the Niners sucking for the next 200 years.

I want them to suck so hard that the NFL blacks out their games out of pity for their fans.

I want them to suck so hard the citizens of SF publicly march for earthquakes just to stop of the pain.

I want them to suck so hard people move to Oakland just to get away from the stench of failure.

I want them to suck so hard Harbaugh's great great great great great grandkids have to change their last name just to escape the humility and shame.

I want them to suck so hard Jerry Rice and Joe Montana ask to be removed from the Hall of Fame and have their names stricken from the record books.

I want them to suck so hard Roger Goodell has to write a new rule called the "49'er mercy rule" where the game's stopped when one team is winning by 75 pts or more.

I want them to suck so hard that the state of California secedes from the city of SF.

I want them to suck so hard the networks blur out the faces of the Niner players during live broadcasts to protect their identity.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":g8q7mwrv said:

I want them to suck so hard that the NFL blacks out their games out of pity for their fans.

I want them to suck so hard the citizens of SF publicly march for earthquakes just to stop of the pain.

I want them to suck so hard people move to Oakland just to get away from the stench of failure.

I want them to suck so hard Harbaugh's great great great great great grandkids have to change their last name just to escape the humility and shame.

I want them to suck so hard Jerry Rice and Joe Montana ask to be removed from the Hall of Fame and have their names stricken from the record books.

I want them to suck so hard Roger Goodell has to write a new rule called the "49'er mercy rule" where the game's stopped when one team is winning by 75 pts or more.

I want them to suck so hard that the state of California secedes from the city of SF.

I want them to suck so hard the networks blur out the faces of the Niner players during live broadcasts to protect their identity.

I came.

Largent80

Reaction score
LOL @ Largent. Hey...I'm Largent so LOL @ me.

I actually typed LOL without loling.

9ers still suck more than me however, and I see our Ram rivalry being better than the 9ers.

Cartire

Reaction score
Screw that. A rivalry isnt a media concoction. Its a passionate distaste between both teams and their fan bases. Colleges have Rivalry games every year that are mostly a joke. One good team and one poor team. But its still a rivalry.

If the only way you can like the rivalry is with them winning a few here and there, then you are not a good rival fan. You should want, and be extremely happy, with us blowing them out and winning way more then them.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The thing is that the 49ers have only been "rivals" for a couple of years now. The Cardinals were a much bigger foe for us in the 2000's while the 49ers were the basement division team only good for easy wins. If things go south in Santa Clara then the last couple of years will just be a blip and I'll have no problem ignoring them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
AgentDib":16732a9u said:
The thing is that the 49ers have only been "rivals" for a couple of years now. The Cardinals were a much bigger foe for us in the 2000's while the 49ers were the basement division team only good for easy wins. If things go south in Santa Clara then the last couple of years will just be a blip and I'll have no problem ignoring them.

Good point.

Rivals just mean two good teams that have clashed for a period of time, there's nothing inherent about the Hawks and Niners that makes it a rivalry other than both teams are good.

If the Hawks and Cards are good for the next 3-4 years, then they now become a rivalry. Same goes for the Rams.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2iehcdxm said:
AgentDib":2iehcdxm said:

Good point.

Rivals just mean two good teams that have clashed for a period of time, there's nothing inherent about the Hawks and Niners that makes it a rivalry other than both teams are good.

If the Hawks and Cards are good for the next 3-4 years, then they now become a rivalry. Same goes for the Rams.

I think it's a little bigger than that: namely the Niner fans (who owned the NFC West in the last century) not respecting that the Seahawks have owned the NFC West since we got here. They say the division is theirs, we say that it's ours.

To me that is what separates this "rivalry" from what we have vs. the Rams or Cardinals. It would take a decade of dominance from STL or ARI to put them in the conversation.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":j74hu20j said:
Sgt. Largent":j74hu20j said:
AgentDib":j74hu20j said:

Good point.

I think it's a little bigger than that: namely the Niner fans (who owned the NFC West in the last century) not respecting that the Seahawks have owned the NFC West since we got here. They say the division is theirs, we say that it's ours.

To me that is what separates this "rivalry" from what we have vs. the Rams or Cardinals. It would take a decade of dominance from STL or ARI to put them in the conversation.

I understand all that.

I'm saying if the Cardinals won 4 of the next 5 NFC West titles, then who would we consider our biggest rival? It wouldn't be the Niners anymore.

My point is success is what breeds rivals. No one in Pittsburgh considers the Browns a rival, even though they've been playing each other for like 70 years. They hate the Ravens and Bengals much worse than the Browns right now, cause they're good.

themunn

Reaction score
Until the 2011 season our NFC West rival were the Rams.
And I tell you what, since Jeff Fisher came on board they've been just as irritating - and it looks like they're finally clicking (having - as i've said many many times before - played the Eagles, Broncos, 49ers and Cowboys close early in the season).

Next year - if Arizona stays injury free and Harbaugh goes? I could see the Niners finish last in the division next year (albeit, probably with a record good enough to win the NFC South)

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hmm I'm surprised at how many people here would rather just have a division full of pushovers and scrubs; I personally like having a rival and competition. Would the Seahawks have been as good last year if they wouldn't have had the 49ers to get pumped up about and prepared for? Not saying they would lack motivation but it certainly didn't hurt to have that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":u82q40o6 said:
Hmm I'm surprised at how many people here would rather just have a division full of pushovers and scrubs; I personally like having a rival and competition. Would the Seahawks have been as good last year if they wouldn't have had the 49ers to get pumped up about and prepared for? Not saying they would lack motivation but it certainly didn't hurt to have that.

This is all well and good until a tough division bites us in the ass and results in missing the playoffs.

The NFL is tough period, and if the team is talented then the team is talented. I'd much rather have an easy division AND a good team, because that will result in winning NFC crowns and HFA, as opposed to barely making the playoffs and having to go on the road.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hawknballs":rshyfxvb said:
THAT SOUNDS AND SMELLS A LOT LIKE FEAR.

Nope, just logical instead of bravado.

Were we all complaining about the division being weak three years ago when we won with a 7-9 record? If the division was nasty like you want, there'd be no Beastquake and no momentum going into the 2012 season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I think they are insane.

The only reason the 49ers did not have a SB last year was because of us.

Even then, they came a whisker of a catch away from getting one before that.

Harbaugh has won everywhere he went as a coach. He turned Stanford into the bullies of the Pac10 for a while (Pac12?). It was only after he left that they started to be less of a behemoth. He then went to the continuously underachieving 49ers and won, with a QB that everyone had given up for dead. Nobody believed Alex Smith could even stay in the league, much less make it on another team (this and Sanford are good examples of how coaching makes a huge difference in what QBs succeed and which ones fail).

I like the rivalry. People might not even care that much about Seattle but they know the Seahawk 49er games are going to be filled with ridiculous plays. Back like when people watched Pittsburgh and the Ravens duke it out. Half of the spotlight will be gone, and the fun of having someone you battle with that you know is probably the next best team in the league - then becomes gone.

Frankly, if the 49ers were in the AFC I would be rooting for them when they are not playing us. They play the same type of run the ball first offense (or did). They have fantastic defensive players (when healthy) and along with the Seahawks carry the flag for old school run the ball, smash mouth defense type of football.

Yeah Harbaugh might be a jerk. So was Parcells. What is undeniable is that, tantrums aside, he is good at getting results from what he has and building teams that succeed.

SF might get a good coach. But it is going to be hard to replace what they have, sounds like when the Sonics fired George Karl because he kept getting them to the playoffs but not winning the championship. They fixed that by getting rid of Karl and missing the playoffs altogether for a while. Then we got guys like Westphal. Gross.

Seems like they are bound and determined to get rid of their George Karl. That doesn't usually end well for the team.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3h3inbjp said:

POST OF THE YEAR

minormillikin

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":16stlyr1 said:

I agree with all of this.

I want them to suck so bad that they move from SF/SC and there is no longer a 49er team. That would actually make me happy.

It is what their fans deserve. Sorry to the 5% who aren't complete d-bags. Pick a new team.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mx7n8ze5 said:

Giphy

jonkchar

Reaction score
I have to disagree about the 2011 season- the Seahawks were a team with a lot of momentum and they needed a win against the 49ers on Christmas Eve. It was a pretty tough fought game. Whenever some 49er fans showered a 49er player with Skittles IN Seattle, I was ticked and from that moment on began to despise the current 49er team