Defensive ranking

Erebus

Reaction score
I know, yards don't really tell the whole story, nor are they the best indicator of how good a defense is, but I found this interesting. With one more game played than most teams, we're still number one in total yards allowed, not just yards per game. We're currently at 285.8 yards per game (3429 total). So if Buffalo, the current #2 team in total yards allowed (3434 yards), were to allow zero yards on Sunday, we'd still have the number one defense.

If our defense can allow an average of 237 yards per game or less for the remainder of the season (against Mark Sanchez, Colin Kaepernick, Drew Stanton, and Shaun Hill), we will beat last year's total. We've allowed an average of 184 yards per game over our last two games against two of those upcoming QBs. Amazingly, Mark Sanchez is our biggest remaining threat.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netTotalYards/position/defense

kearly

Reaction score
Great post. Seattle's final three opponents are NFC West teams that have struggled to move the ball on our D.

OP
OP
E

Erebus

Reaction score
For those of you interested in an update after our 139 yard performance, here's how we currently stack up. We are one yard per game behind our 2013 pace of 273.6 ypg. I would be shocked if we allow that much over our last three, so we should improve on last year's overall defense.

With our slate of upcoming QBs, I don't think it's too unreasonable to think we could allow 188.6 yards per game for the last three games of the season (a feat accomplished three times last year and twice this year). Doing so would give us 4134 total yards, which is one better than the 1985 Bears (though they don't hold the unattainable 16 game record of 3549 yards, which belongs to the 1991 Eagles).

As far as the more important stat, points allowed, we've already surpassed last year's total, 235 to 231.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I believe we are 2nd in PA and with our remaining schedule, have a good chance at overtaking the lions for 1st.

253hawk

Reaction score
Arizona and SF's lowest yardage and scoring outputs this season were both against Seattle.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Erebus":fhlara6o said:
For those of you interested in an update after our 139 yard performance, here's how we currently stack up. We are one yard per game behind our 2013 pace of 273.6 ypg. I would be shocked if we allow that much over our last three, so we should improve on last year's overall defense.

With our slate of upcoming QBs, I don't think it's too unreasonable to think we could allow 188.6 yards per game for the last three games of the season (a feat accomplished three times last year and twice this year). Doing so would give us 4134 total yards, which is one better than the 1985 Bears (though they don't hold the unattainable 16 game record of 3549 yards, which belongs to the 1991 Eagles).

As far as the more important stat, points allowed, we've already surpassed last year's total, 235 to 231.

That isn't too bad.

Before the season I thought with the Defensive Attrition, Rule Emphasis, and a tougher schedule vs better offenses and more elite QBs, I half expected a Half Touchdown (3.5) per game increase to the Seahawks Points Allowed totals.

3.5 x 16 =56 points

231 + 56 = 287

287 - 235 = 52

52/3 = 17.33 ppg SF, ARI, and STL need to score.

It seems safe to assume that the Seahawks and the way the defense is playing plus how much SF and ARI are struggling on offense that the Seahawks will probably finish the year closer to 17 ppg allowed or 272 Total Points (+37 from where they are currently) than 18 ppg (290). However, If they dominate SF and ARI again and handle STL they could finish around 256 TP = 16 ppg.

And if that was the case a 1.625 ppg or 2.625 ppg increase of last years 14.375 is still a dominate display of defense considering all the named and unnamed circumstances.

The scariest thought is, is if this defense time traveled to 15-20 years ago, it would not surprise me if they could keep opponents under 10 ppg.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
1st in Total Defense, 2nd in Scoring Defense.

Our defense is elite. The only thing they could use some improvement on is Red Zone Defense.

Latest posts