Bevell called a good game.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
The all-22 won't be out for a few days, but at first glance it was a solid gameplan. Funny thing is, on a short week they don't install anything special. All night it was staple plays, and it looked like the offense was wearing a comfortable and familiar suit. A Wolf Grey suit.

The red zone stuff is a thing right now, but as Jim Harbaugh would say, but we are on the verge of fixing that too, you loosen those olives up and pretty soon they all come tumbling out. It's close, but the execution there is just off in timing right now.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Why haven't we seen those checkdown receivers over the middle much before last night? Saw a couple of those early in the game. More crossing routes too and plenty of rolling out and throwing to the TE. All those things have been positive staples of our offense.

Screens were executed much more smoothly than has been the case recently. Execution will always make coaches "better".

To my recollection, no WR bubble screens. For whatever reason, we haven't done that well since the GB game.

HawkerD

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2pmgm603 said:
To my recollection, no WR bubble screens. For whatever reason, we haven't done that well since the GB game.

THIS :th2thumbs:

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Anyone knows why we don't QB sneak? I mean come on ... 3rd and 1, we use the shot gun?
The worse QBs in the league can execute the QB sneak ... you telling me, we can't get a yard with RW on a sneak?
Give me a break.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe Bevell has a master plan after all. Let everyone think our offense runs dumb plays all year then once in the postseason act like a real NFL offense.n Keep it unpredictable. Hmmmm.

Cartire

Reaction score
Seafan":2mjfyie9 said:
First down from the one. Not getting a TD. Is that Bevell or Russell?

Or the other teams defense. Why does everyone forget that they are professional football players as well.

Seafan

Reaction score
Cartire":2cqjp11j said:
Seafan":2cqjp11j said:

Or the other teams defense. Why does everyone forget that they are professional football players as well.

Because it's happened all year. The Hawks suck in the red zone. One of the worst in the league.

Cartire

Reaction score
Seafan":nsnjfz6r said:
Cartire":nsnjfz6r said:
Seafan":nsnjfz6r said:

Because it's happened all year. The Hawks suck in the red zone. One of the worst in the league.

They have been better, that's for sure. But it's tough when your playing a good defense and the yellow flags.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seafan":3nnh7zcd said:
Cartire":3nnh7zcd said:
Seafan":3nnh7zcd said:

You are not wrong. It has happened all year.

But those plays were good situational football, even if they didn't work. Bevell called staple plays at the goal line, there was execution issues, and that is a good goal line D. But the play calls themselves were just fine. It wasn't cute or tricky stuff. No fades to short guys.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I thought Bevell called a good game too, yet wound up believing he could have done a better job in the redzone. I thought he called a better game earlier in the game but became predictable as the game went on. Maybe that was b/c the OLine was pretty solid most of the game.

I give him an A- b/c of his inability to be creative in the redzone. He does seem to be trying a few new things and maybe the scoring will increase as RW becomes more comfortable.

Leaving as many points on the field as the Haawks have last two games may come back and bite against Philly or if they secure a playoff spot. Just saying.

pehawk

Reaction score
I wont be able to truly judge it until next week. I know that sounds weird, but right now I have no idea whether the checkdown option is here to stay, or if it was manifest from this offenses adhoc excellence/49ers matchup.

What was good is I actually saw our QB under center a bit and there was nothing egregiously negligent. My only little gripe would be no using a FB on 1st and goal. I think you have to vs that defense, but, that wasn't a total lack of understanding of the situation.

Sonicsdave

Reaction score
Game plan was pretty good- still a bit predictable especially in the red zone though. I just have this feeling that Bevell is holding back a bit when it comes to using the whole playbook and keeping the D guessing. Before it was almost too much trickery with all the jet sweeps and bubble screens and what not, now it's almost all straight forward. Mix it up a bit more and take a few more shots down the field and that balance will make them hard to stop.

On an unrelated note- Moeaki has been a nice addition, steady and reliable so far.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2fb2ka1q said:
The all-22 won't be out for a few days, but at first glance it was a solid gameplan. Funny thing is, on a short week they don't install anything special. All night it was staple plays, and it looked like the offense was wearing a comfortable and familiar suit. A Wolf Grey suit.

The red zone stuff is a thing right now, but as Jim Harbaugh would say, but we are on the verge of fixing that too, you loosen those olives up and pretty soon they all come tumbling out. It's close, but the execution there is just off in timing right now.

One redzone td was taken away because of a bad call from the refs (the Turbin pick call). Still they should have had another redzone score after Moeaki's catch to the 1. Hopefully they correct their redzone woes this week.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bevell did better but in the past 2 games the Hawks who are supposedly a run first team couldn't power the ball in from the 1. Poor execution was partially obvious but weak play design was as well.

The team just has to improve in the redzone.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I was surprised no challenge on the Moeaki TD. I thought it was close enough to challenge. At a minimum, the spot was 2 feet off; it should have been maybe 6 inches outside the goal line, not a full yard.
The way this team has sucked in the red zone, it seemed worth a challenge at that point.

Did anyone see the play conclusively enough, from some appropriate angle, to have a good idea on the outcome of a challenge, and where the ball should have been spotted?

hoxrox

Reaction score
What was that play to Baldwin - a shallow cross? Would be nice to see plays like that more often.

olyfan63

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":23nqdqxn said:
We HAVE to get better in the red zone before the playoffs. coming away with 3 or 0 points every time is not good enough.

With this elite D it is good enough. 19-3 and 19-3, hard to argue with those results. Especially when we are playing two other elite, top-5-in-the-NFL defenses. When the 'Hawks started getting FG's it felt just like the Cards game all over again. It was clear there was no way the 49ers would put more than 10 points on the board with their offense.

It's kind of like being in a knife fight. It's great if you get in some potentially fatal stabs to vital organs. (TD's) In the final analysis, it's just as effective to get in some slashes that lacerate the wrists, abdomen, arms, and legs, and let the opponent collapse and die from loss of blood. (FG's). And the problem is that taking big risks to get in a dramatic fatal stab in can open you up to a counterattack stab to a vital organ. (like a 100-yard pick-six INT return; we've seen a couple of those the last week or so in the NFL)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
olyfan63":2rd3wb12 said:
I was surprised no challenge on the Moeaki TD. I thought it was close enough to challenge. At a minimum, the spot was 2 feet off; it should have been maybe 6 inches outside the goal line, not a full yard.
The way this team has sucked in the red zone, it seemed worth a challenge at that point.

Did anyone see the play conclusively enough, from some appropriate angle, to have a good idea on the outcome of a challenge, and where the ball should have been spotted?

I was thinking the same. But it seeing the replays, it wasn't conclusive enough so I think the Seahawks would have lost the challenge and a timeout. They probably thought that they could punch it in from the one. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.