Luke Willson Played Well

chet380

Reaction score
Leading receiver (4-4, but only 49 yds) -- did all asked of him w/o needless drops

Looked fast and capable -- future promise is definitely there

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Funny thing is a few weeks ago I was making a thread that stated that I was throwing in the towel with him and we need to move on from him. It was after he dropped a couple passes then dropped a touchdown pass, then was called for holding on the same drive. He seems to have trouble with catching any ball that is contested.
He has shown me a lot of growth and I'm happy I'm not a GM. He has a long way to go but I think he can be very good. This game was very good for him. I think he did have a touchdown also. Should have been reviewed.

652cHAWK

Reaction score
True! Let us remember he had the game winning TD in that Carolina slugfest also.

HawkerD

Reaction score
chet380":wiflyb5e said:
Leading receiver (4-4, but only 49 yds) -- did all asked of him w/o needless drops

Looked fast and capable -- future promise is definitely there

Only 49 yards? 10.2 yds per catch is not good enough for you? Every one of those catches were good plays in some way, especially the one where he picked up the first down after getting tripped up

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
I was not too happy with Willson a few games ago, as well - way too many oopsie-dropsies going on. But this is three games in a row without a drop. I have to wonder if the rise of Helfet and the bringing in of Moeaki has caused him to go into fighting-for-his-job mode. I don't see how we can keep all four tight ends when Zach Miller comes back.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
He also had a td drop and a drive stalling hold in that Carolina contest. Also other drops on 3rd down.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sprfunk":2p6adk0s said:
Funny thing is a few weeks ago I was making a thread that stated that I was throwing in the towel with him and we need to move on from him. It was after he dropped a couple passes then dropped a touchdown pass, then was called for holding on the same drive. He seems to have trouble with catching any ball that is contested.
He has shown me a lot of growth and I'm happy I'm not a GM. He has a long way to go but I think he can be very good. This game was very good for him. I think he did have a touchdown also. Should have been reviewed.

We're fans, and that's what we do. One bad game and it's "off with his head!" with a lot of folks. Willson is young player and is still growing and learning. Plus, he didn't get a ton of reps his rookie year being behind Miller. Not trying pick on you, so I'll put it in perspective:

Peyton Manning has a history of not playing well in the playoffs, but he's without a doubt the best regular season QB in NFL history. No matter how bad his teams are, he gets them to the playoffs. Guy has a nerve problem, loses arm strength, then changes his game and sets NFL records. So, would you pass on a guy like this for your team, knowing there's some bad games mixed in there ?

Andrew Luck throws a lot of INT's, but he also makes some WOW throws even Wilson doesn't make. He's another guy that so far hasn't played well in the playoffs, but you know you're going to get there with this guy.

Wilson holds the ball too long and takes too many sacks. If he didn't, you would've cut the big plays he made yesterday in half. I was screaming "get rid of the ball" on a couple of those, and he made a play afterwards (then again, he took 2 sacks that I thought he shouldn't have).

It's also schematic. I'll still get upset with the way we use Willson at times. Most of those plays for the Niners were crossing or outlet passes in the flat. That works on them, and their LBers are susceptible to it. I get ticked that we didn't do the same thing against AZ, but they have different personnel and schemes that prevent some of this.