Appreciating Mr Wilson

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
With the recent documentation of RW’s performances, or what is in some people minds the lack of it, I think we really forget how truly special of a player he is.

He is playing in a system that ask him to be a point guard in a sense versus just being a traditional QB. So it is hard to judge him in the normal sense of the position because he plays the position uniquely compared to the traditional way of what we see on Sundays.

I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Take last Sunday, RW gets sacked 7 times and it could've been more, yet he stays in the game and with the plan and delivers the knockout punch. Most QB’s would have shriveled and folded but RW did not and has not.

I think we should really enjoy how lucky we are to have him.

Now on to chalking up a victory in SF.

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":113vvkhd said:
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's an amazing football player and definitely the Franchise QB we've all been wanting. All people are doing is pointing out that he's not infallible, and that some of our offensive struggles this year have been down to him. There's nothing wrong with bringing light to things like that. He's still one of my favorite Seahawks and I wear his jersey with pride every Sunday. There's no-one I'd rather have right now at QB for the Seahawks. He's still growing, it's easy to forget that this is only his 3rd season in the league. I have 100% confidence that not only do WE see these negative aspects of his game, but he does too and will work hard to get it all corrected.

Russell Wilson is tough, poised, focused and dedicated to this team and to his craft. Can't ask for a whole lot more than that.

Totally agree, my point is they all are not infallible, be it Rogers, Manning, Brady or Brees. Can Wilson get better absolutely but he has been pretty damn good so far.

I just cannot help think what one big time red zone receiver would do for this team, be it a TE or WR. That really should be a high priority.

byau

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":1zkwymoh said:
With the recent documentation of RW’s performances, or what is some people minds lack of it I think we really forget how truly special of a player he is.

He is playing in a system that ask him to be a point guard in a sense versus just being a traditional QB. So it is hard to judge him in the normal sense of the position because he plays the position uniquely compared to the traditional way of what we see on Sundays.

I have been thinking about this and how if you had more traditional QB’s getting the pressure Russell gets and have the lack of a killer wide-out(s) how would they perform? Look at how Brady and Manning have performed this year when their line play has not been at least serviceable or missing their main weapon.

Take last Sunday, RW gets sacked 7 times and it could've been more, yet he stays in the game and with the plan and delivers the knockout punch. Most QB’s would have shriveled and folded but RW did not and has not.

I think we should really enjoy how lucky we are to have him.

Now on to chalking up a victory in SF.

Good post

Was thinking about that too. From the AZ game: Yes, it'll be much better when the offense gets better meaning

1) Russell reads qicker
2) Playcalls specifically for quick releases (without too many reasd)
3) Better protection

From the AZ game: That being said, Russell maintained his poise and commitment. Say whatever you want about the Bevell, he committed to running all game long and had faith it would take its toll by the 4th quarter.

And what about his whole professional career so far?

Lest we forget, Russell is a third year QB! Not even three years through and he's done what?

* Rookie year, outplays RG3, nearly leads the offense to the NFCGG
* Doesn't get to the Super Bowl, on his own travels there anyway and gets a sense of the rhythm and media and environment of a Super Bowl to prepare him for his eventual SB he will play in
* Second year: leads the offense to the Super Bowl and wins it
* Third year: has to go through whatever SB winning teams go through that make them not even able to come back and win a playoff game for the last 10 years.

And he is still maintaining poise and confidence. Sure he slumped a bit, and it looked like it got to him a little bit in the press conferences, but he is still fighting through it and more often than not makes plays for us.

AND while we know he has a lot to improve on, the important thing is HE knows it also.

So while we are all intensely focused on the next game, the next rival, what's wrong and why aren't we doing better, etc..etc.. I'll say I like the OP's theme of this thread: t made me take a moment to step back and appreciate our QB !

(Heh, almost feels like a Thanksgiving thread and not just "Appreciating Mr Wilson" but "Being Thankful for Mr. Wilson" )

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Wilson is the best QB we've ever had in a Seahawks uniform. You're right, he is not infallible. But most of us know how good he is and he is very appreciated. I am very thankful the Hawks drafted Wilson.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":3eh40jro said:
peachesenregalia":3eh40jro said:
I don't think anyone is disputing that he's an amazing football player and definitely the Franchise QB we've all been wanting. All people are doing is pointing out that he's not infallible, and that some of our offensive struggles this year have been down to him. There's nothing wrong with bringing light to things like that. He's still one of my favorite Seahawks and I wear his jersey with pride every Sunday. There's no-one I'd rather have right now at QB for the Seahawks. He's still growing, it's easy to forget that this is only his 3rd season in the league. I have 100% confidence that not only do WE see these negative aspects of his game, but he does too and will work hard to get it all corrected.

Russell Wilson is tough, poised, focused and dedicated to this team and to his craft. Can't ask for a whole lot more than that.

Totally agree, My point is they all are not infallible, be it Rogers, Manning, Brady or Brees. Can Wilson get better absolutely but he has been pretty damn good so far.

I just cannot help think what one big time red zone receiver would do for this team, be it a TE or WR. That really should be a high priority.
Well if Moeki stays healthy he could be the steal of the year. It's never been a question of ability with him but bad luck with injury. Because you're correct in that Wilson isn't infallible but with a solid security blanket type he might be far nearer then most can imagine.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Glad Wilson is the QB of this team. He's definitely better than the alternatives - Flynn, Jackson, and Daniels. I'd much rather have him at the helm than about 95% of the other QBs in the league. While he's not perfect, he's doing fine in terms of wins and losses and not hurting the team by costly mistakes (interceptions, etc).

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
"Well if Moeki stays healthy he could be the steal of the year. It's never been a question of ability with him but bad luck with injury. Because you're correct in that Wilson isn't infallible but with a solid security blanket type he might be far nearer then most can imagine"

This is my hope also. He was very good coming in at KC. He may end up being that one component we need to become very dangerous again.

Here to the injury bug going away for the Holidays and this team get on a roll, like steam roller :thirishdrinkers:

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I'm still wondering if Wilson has an injury. Last year when he slumped, it was revealed after the superbowl that he was playing with an injured shoulder. I was watching the Houston game and Mallett was overthrowing his receivers all day, what was later revealed was that he had a pectoral injury, and now going to miss the rest of the season. That made me wonder if it's something that Wilson might be going through. I know it's a big stretch but i guess we won't know until the end of the year.

AVL

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":49mc6kxr said:
I'm still wondering if Wilson has an injury. Last year when he slumped, it was revealed after the superbowl that he was playing with an injured shoulder. I was watching the Houston game and Mallett was overthrowing his receivers all day, what was later revealed was that he had a pectoral injury, and now going to miss the rest of the season. That made me wonder if it's something that Wilson might be going through. I know it's a big stretch but i guess we won't know until the end of the year.

Blount mentioned he was playing through a non-throwing shoulder injury a couple of weeks ago, same as last year.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Wilson will tell you that he still has a long way to go.

He is great, but he can be the best both active and of all time in my humble opinion. He is not yet the best. He will be the first to tell you that.

I'm betting (figuratively) he will garner a ring for every finger on his throwing hand before he is done!!

nbk35zw

Reaction score
Maybe in 2015, we could trade RW for RGIII straight up. Then we would have nothing to complain about!
:sarcasm_on:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There's not a day that goes by that I don't wake up every day and thank God Russell Wilson is OURS.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Largent80":2dcxr92k said:
I would LOVE to shake his hand.......Oh WAIT !!!!!!!

7eKryX2

Were his hands as big as advertised Rob?

Largent80

Reaction score
I am a drummer, and do construction work, lift weights etc. and I thought he was gonna kill me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":26di3lgc said:

Brady and Manning might perform just fine, given good play design. Manning's excellence, especially, has always hinged upon getting the ball out quickly and using decisive reads to defeat pressure. Defensive blitzing creates mismatches, and elite QBs excel at finding those mismatches in the back seven.

That said...I can't imagine anyone has forgotten that Russell Wilson just carried us to a Super Bowl. And believe me, he did carry us. He's a young QB, still developing his ability to read and decide behind the line, but his legs and his awareness are enough to fill in meantime. He'll be incredible in a few years.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3u7hn1cg said:
Wilson is the best QB we've ever had in a Seahawks uniform. You're right, he is not infallible. But most of us know how good he is and he is very appreciated. I am very thankful the Hawks drafted Wilson.
^^THIS!!
To those of you who want a Pey Pey, Brady or Rodgers you are completely free to become a fan of those teams they lead.
I LOVE Russell Wilson through thick and thin. :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
EntiatHawk

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
I know most here think Wilson is special but I really think he may be even more special than we think.

My thoughts are that those QB's like Brady and Manning are exceptional and are some of the all time best but their teams have been built specifically for them.

Russell is asked to make due with what he has and the team is build as a defensive team. This is asking Wilson to make do with some lesser components and play to the teams strength, defense and run the ball.

Part of this is that they have been a little bit snakebit in WR's they bring in. Rice was a perfect type of receiver for him except he could not stay on the field.

I even hate to say this, but just think how well Boldin would function on our team? We lack that receiver who is always open even when he is not. This is where Tate most fit the bill for us in that regards.

I just heard a Cris Carter interview and he was asked behind close doors in the ESPN war room what was the most common thing said of Wilson. Carter's response was (a little paraphrasing here) "Seattle could not live without him, he is underrated, the amount of plays he makes of the bad plays, free runners in the backfield, the RO where it was just Marshawns favorite play.."Blast (or whatever Seattle calls it)" and for Russell to keep it because he see something with the end closing too fast and know one knows, no one in the building knows, Darrell Bevell does not know. With that skill right there we think Russell is a phenomenal QB" (I guess this comes from the ESPN guys watching film and what they see.)

I think if we can get a decent line together and that one receiver that can compliment this group we may see some serious magic out of the offense.