Any cap numbers/projections for 2015?

pehawk

Reaction score
I'm (bi) curious what type of room the Hawks will have with the salary cap next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The actual cap number won't be set by the league until some time in the off season

overthecap has teams listed with players who are signed by each year, so you can go here:

[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

and click on the 2015 tab and see which players are currently under contract. Count the highest 53 salaries. If there are less than 53, you will need to add a minimum salary x however many players you need to fill the 53 man roster, then from there, you can look through contracts and see who you believe will still be on the roster and make educated guesses. Also, be sure to add in the dead money.

Largent80

Reaction score
KJ Wright has been a bum most of this year, and he can walk on or take a discount that is in concert with his play = Free?

XOXO

Blondie

(call me)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Largent80":1zxhc582 said:
KJ Wright has been a bum most of this year, and he can walk on or take a discount that is in concert with his play = Free?

XOXO

Blondie

(call me)

KJ is only making a little over a million dollars next year. Keeping him, even if KPL were to beat him out to start isn't a financial problem.

Wright really isn't all that bad, but he's definitely not a good ILB. He's better when he can play his weakside position and have a guy like Wagner out there who can cover his own territory.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I haven't seen anything definitive via a quick Google search, and since Kidhawk is too lazy and inconsiderate to add all those numbers up from over-the-cap and make an accurate projection (keep in mind new TV deal should also add more money to the cap), I guess we'll just have to guess.

The Harvin trade will net us about an extra $5 million in space as well. Bottom line, I think we were already pretty comfortable with signing Russell to a $20 Million deal (not sure he's earning this year, but I won't win that argument at this point) and now we should have a little more to do some things as well. It isn't an estimate, but I think we have some money to spend.

Depending on how you look at it, a lot of our depth players getting extra time gives coaches a chance to evaluate who should stay or go. I personally think we'll see a blood bath involving guys who simply can't stay healthy and keep sticking around due to "potential" (e.g. Scruggs).

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":35vcash5 said:
The actual cap number won't be set by the league until some time in the off season

overthecap has teams listed with players who are signed by each year, so you can go here:

[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks[/urltargetblank]

and click on the 2015 tab and see which players are currently under contract. Count the highest 53 salaries. If there are less than 53, you will need to add a minimum salary x however many players you need to fill the 53 man roster, then from there, you can look through contracts and see who you believe will still be on the roster and make educated guesses. Also, be sure to add in the dead money.

Am I in the doghouse again?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
We're set to go into next season with $106.1m as we stand. The cap's expected to be $140m in 2015 (but some guys think it could be $145m)

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

So, if Lynch really is to go then we'll save $7m and give ourselves $40.9m in cap room. Cutting Okung could save a further $5m but I'm thinking there's less chance of that happening than I did at the start of the season.

I'm guessing the priority will be to extend Russ and Bobby. Hopefully we'd be able to do that for around an extra $20m in 2015 (anticipating an increasingly growing cap over the coming years), they're already counting $2.3m against it next year as it stands.

We've got a fair few free agents we'll probably look to resign, I count 21 guys on our active roster who become free agents.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/ ... -seahawks/

It's likely goodbye to Avril unless he takes a massive reduction, he's counting over $9m against the cap, and Carp's probably gone too ($2.3m against the cap this year). Byron, KJ, Kearse, Malcolm and Jeron are among the names that will probably demand more than they're on at the moment, and whilst we wont resign them all, I'd anticipate we keep at least two of them.

It's a good job we've got so many picks this year, and don't expect us to package them to move up, our cap situation is a little worse than most people think. Expect our resignings to total be around $8m. I've not plucked that out of thin air, I'm taking the average wage of our free agents (excluding Avril) and keeping 10 of them (Two of Byron/Jeron/Kearse/Malcolm/KJ, plus Lockette, Gresh, Shead, Scruggs, Morgan, Tukuafo, Schofield and Dobbs/Scruggs) with half of the money going to two of the bigger names. In this scenario we also lose TJack, Moeaki, Walters, Williams, Allen and Bradford from the current roster.

This ridiculously hypothetical scenario would leave us about $13m of room for 11 players. Lose about $5m of that on 8 draft picks/udfa's, take away two players (because only 51 count against the cap) and we're left with about $8m for a FA DE to replace Avril, or to keep Lynch.

And that is an utterly inaccurate hypothesis of how it will go down. There's no way we're only picking up one free agent, but I've slotted us to sign 10, so just fiddle about with that if you want. Plus, we're only cutting Lynch in this scenario too. Cutting a guy like McDaniel to save $3m is entirely possible, his dead money is low.

In summation, we better nail the draft and hope the cap's extended to $145m or that Wilson takes a discount (or both).

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Can you do a homer guess too, SomersetHawk?

Chawks1

Reaction score
Best guesstimate is salary cap will be around $140m-$145m next year. Teams are allowed to carryover unused cap space from previous year. Seahawks are currently around $18m under the cap right now.....Seahawks project to have around $106 m committed to players next year.

Seahawks have approximately $50+m to sign everyone next year. Remember too that RW big contract will be an extension. No matter what he signs for only his $950k salary + a prorated amount of his signing bonus. He will probably only be around $10m against our cap next year.

JS and PC have a good plan in place.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":2m8b456b said:
Can you do a homer guess too, SomersetHawk?

Well, hoping we can get Bobby and Russ on the books for less than the extra $20m in my scenario, plus a $145m cap, then we could keep Lynch and have $10m room for one or two FA signings.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3lejta7j said:
I'll definitely bookmark this topic though, and call myself out on just how disastrously wrong and stupid I was.

Nah mang, I appreciate it. You're rationale is solid.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":fm62zjrs said:
SomersetHawk":fm62zjrs said:
I'll definitely bookmark this topic though, and call myself out on just how disastrously wrong and stupid I was.

Nah mang, I appreciate it. You're rationale is solid.

I'd completely missed McDaniel, cutting him could save $3m, whilst the dead money's only $625k, reworking Bane's contract is a possibility too.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Wonder if Wilson would take a smaller annual amount and a longer contract with appropriate guarantee. Something that isn't as big a hit each year and would allow other signings. Just thinking, as I don't keep up with the intricacies of contracts. Obviously would depend on John and Pete comfortable with being committed to Russell over a longer span.

kidhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":w5p8d08h said:
kidhawk":w5p8d08h said:

Am I in the doghouse again?

Nah....There are just way too many hypotheticals right now. Anything anyone says is a guess. You can look and see who we have signed next year and do some math and figure we have somewhere between $35 and $45 million to sign free agents, sign our draft class and extend Wilson and Wagner. There will be guys who are cut (there always are), so we have to try to factor those guys in as well.

It's safe to assume that we won't be as flush in cash as some teams, but we'll have enough money to keep the core guys and sign a few free agents, but unless there is a significant bump in the cap, we probably won't get any A-list free agents.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":34m43rv1 said:
I haven't seen anything definitive via a quick Google search, and since Kidhawk is too lazy and inconsiderate to add all those numbers up from over-the-cap and make an accurate projection (keep in mind new TV deal should also add more money to the cap), I guess we'll just have to guess.

The Harvin trade will net us about an extra $5 million in space as well. Bottom line, I think we were already pretty comfortable with signing Russell to a $20 Million deal (not sure he's earning this year, but I won't win that argument at this point) and now we should have a little more to do some things as well. It isn't an estimate, but I think we have some money to spend.

Depending on how you look at it, a lot of our depth players getting extra time gives coaches a chance to evaluate who should stay or go. I personally think we'll see a blood bath involving guys who simply can't stay healthy and keep sticking around due to "potential" (e.g. Scruggs).

You realize there is absolutely NO way to have an accurate number. Nobody...even Roger Goodell, knows what the actual cap number is for next season. We also have no idea who the team will cut in the off season. Everything is a guessing game at this point. It's pretty much pointless to try to put too much time into figuring it out right now because everything is still in flux.

As I said in another post, there are generalized guesses that can be made, but that's all WAG for now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
lobohawk":3d2yx1jq said:
Wonder if Wilson would take a smaller annual amount and a longer contract with appropriate guarantee. Something that isn't as big a hit each year and would allow other signings. Just thinking, as I don't keep up with the intricacies of contracts. Obviously would depend on John and Pete comfortable with being committed to Russell over a longer span.

I could see Russell doing a 5-7 year longer deal, which means it'd be an escalating contract with a low cap hit the first 3-4 years..........but probably with quite a bit of guaranteed money in return.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
kidhawk":vvp4rp8p said:
MysterMatt":vvp4rp8p said:

You realize there is absolutely NO way to have an accurate number. Nobody...even Roger Goodell, knows what the actual cap number is for next season. We also have no idea who the team will cut in the off season. Everything is a guessing game at this point. It's pretty much pointless to try to put too much time into figuring it out right now because everything is still in flux.

As I said in another post, there are generalized guesses that can be made, but that's all WAG for now.
Yet another lazy and inconsiderate response. Thank goodness we have Somerset.

kidhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":38qmg8zx said:
kidhawk":38qmg8zx said:
MysterMatt":38qmg8zx said:

Yet another lazy and inconsiderate response. Thank goodness we have Somerset.

Of course, because when he says it's all just a guessing game right now, that's completely different than when I say it's all a guessing game :roll: