Paul Richardson

seabowl

Reaction score
I know he is a rookie but I have to admit I think he has been a disappointment thus far. With such a need for a WR to step up, it is even more important for him to perform. I just don't see the unbelievable separation speed as was advertised and he even lost his KR job to Baldwin today. I have noticed that he is a willing blocker downfield which is a plus but I was expecting more of a contribution from him thus far. So far, Desean Jackson he is not.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
It's a pretty rare rookie that performs significantly well during his first year. It's not a position like running back that players pick up immediately, at least not on a consistent basis. It's one of the positions where an immediate breakout would be great, but you have to plan on waiting a season or two.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
What stings even more is that a handful of other rookie Wrs have been doing much better.

Would love to have Kelvin Benjamin or Martavious Bryant. even Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Devonte Adams.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":6s74uewv said:
It's a pretty rare rookie that performs significantly well during his first year. It's not a position like running back that players pick up immediately, at least not on a consistent basis. It's one of the positions where an immediate breakout would be great, but you have to plan on waiting a season or two.

I hear you but I think it's not asking to much for a guy to make somewhat of a difference. If not mistaken, Baldwin as a free agent made a pretty decent contribution year 1.

cesame

Reaction score
He's caught 10 of the 16 balls that have come his way

He's fine, especially for a rookie.

cesame

Reaction score
Wenhawk":14jvc3va said:
What stings even more is that a handful of other rookie Wrs have been doing much better.

Would love to have Kelvin Benjamin or Martavious Bryant. even Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, Devonte Adams.

Put those guys on Seattle and their numbers go down

Seattle throws the ball less than any team in the league. This isn't a team where WR's will put up big numbers, especially as a rookie.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
We don't exactly have the offense to showcase the talents of young, speedy receivers these days.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he might still be a very fine player and could very well be thriving in a place like GB, Philly, or even in NY with Eli. Just not the exact piece we need for this year. Receivers with his skills set will take a lot longer to find a groove within this offense and with this QB.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seabowl":5mf21i3r said:
I hear you but I think it's not asking to much for a guy to make somewhat of a difference.

No, generally speaking it is asking a bit much. You're overestimating the number of receivers who contribute strongly early on.

If not mistaken, Baldwin as a free agent made a pretty decent contribution year 1.

He did.

Richardson seems to be having a rookie year like Golden Tate had, which isn't particularly helpful during that year but is pretty standard for the position at that experience level.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seabowl":10artwno said:
I know he is a rookie but I have to admit I think he has been a disappointment thus far. With such a need for a WR to step up, it is even more important for him to perform. I just don't see the unbelievable separation speed as was advertised and he even lost his KR job to Baldwin today. I have noticed that he is a willing blocker downfield which is a plus but I was expecting more of a contribution from him thus far. So far, Desean Jackson he is not.

How so? He has done what he has asked what to do. The 12th man has been a disappointment to me. Reading these types of posts reminds me how fickle fans are.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":whs35pui said:
seabowl":whs35pui said:

How so? He has done what he has asked what to do. The 12th man has been a disappointment to me. Reading these types of posts reminds me how fickle fans are.

72 TOTAL receiving yards in 10 games IMO is a disappointment. If I told you before the season started that he would have 72 yards after 10 games (with Harvin off the team no less) I gotta believe you would have been disappointed too.

xgeoff

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1f8dz4jm said:
seabowl":1f8dz4jm said:
I hear you but I think it's not asking to much for a guy to make somewhat of a difference.

No, generally speaking it is asking a bit much. You're overestimating the number of receivers who contribute strongly early on.
[/quote]

Not this year:

-- Odell Beckham
-- John Brown
-- Martavis Bryant
-- Allen Robinson
-- Davonte Adams
-- Sammy Watkins
-- Brandin Cooks
-- Kelvin Benjamin
-- Jordan Matthews
-- Marquise Lee
-- Mike Evans
-- Jarvis Landry

I could go on but, yeah, you're way off base this year.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
seabowl":1u25zq1h said:
72 TOTAL receiving yards in 10 games IMO is a disappointment. If I told you before the season started that he would have 72 yards after 10 games (with Harvin off the team no less) I gotta believe you would have been disappointed too.

He was never projected to be more than a #4 receiver on this team before the year. Expecting a ton of impact out of a #4 who is also a rookie would be pretty weird. Now he's sort of a #3/#4 with Harvin gone, is seeing more targets and is doing basically fine with them...there isn't much more to be said.

firebee

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3bm0nujw said:

Those other guys don't have retarded offensive coordinators developing passing plays with horrible route designs, intent and progressions. Our receivers are not the problem. Bevell is the problem. He's good as long as he stays true to somebody else's gameplan and strategy, but when he starts taking control of a team's strategy and the gameplan, the offense goes downhill in a hurry. This was the case for the Vikings while he was there and it's becoming the case for the Seahawks now.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
xgeoff":1jdatdby said:
MidwestHawker":1jdatdby said:
seabowl":1jdatdby said:

Not this year:

-- Odell Beckham
-- John Brown
-- Martavis Bryant
-- Allen Robinson
-- Davonte Adams
-- Sammy Watkins
-- Brandin Cooks
-- Kelvin Benjamin
-- Jordan Matthews
-- Marquise Lee
-- Mike Evans
-- Jarvis Landry

I could go on but, yeah, you're way off base this year.[/quote]

Lee has also been a disappointment thus far.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
xgeoff":2tlgfa1g said:
MidwestHawker":2tlgfa1g said:

Not this year:

-- Odell Beckham
-- John Brown
-- Martavis Bryant
-- Allen Robinson
-- Davonte Adams
-- Sammy Watkins
-- Brandin Cooks
-- Kelvin Benjamin
-- Jordan Matthews
-- Marquise Lee
-- Mike Evans
-- Jarvis Landry

Not sure why you included Marqise Lee.

But in any case: okay. What do you think is more likely, that this year is a statistical outlier in terms of production of rookie receivers, or that the position itself has suddenly been revolutionized this year?

xgeoff

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":oa4m9fpq said:
xgeoff":oa4m9fpq said:
MidwestHawker":oa4m9fpq said:

Not this year:

-- Odell Beckham
-- John Brown
-- Martavis Bryant
-- Allen Robinson
-- Davonte Adams
-- Sammy Watkins
-- Brandin Cooks
-- Kelvin Benjamin
-- Jordan Matthews
-- Marquise Lee
-- Mike Evans
-- Jarvis Landry

Not sure why you included Marqise Lee.

But in any case: okay. What do you think is more likely, that this year is a statistical outlier in terms of production of rookie receivers, or that the position itself has suddenly been revolutionized this year?

Just a good draft class. And I think the point is that this year there are a LOT of rookie WR's making contributions and looking good. And Richardson doesn't. If you've seen some of these guys play, like Jarvis Landry, they look FAST! Richardson, doesn't. He doesn't look fast. He doesn't achieve separation. Rookie or not.

Did you see Jordan Matthews or Martavis Bryant on their respective Monday night games? They look great. I'd be willing to pin some blame on Bevell except that I just don't see the athletic ability in his routes and kick returns that I see with someone like Jarvis Landry, whom we could have had.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Didn't create any real separation today in multiple one on one matchups. He's a rook and it's way too early to judge, but it would be nice to see Norwood eat into some of those reps.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
xgeoff":1oifa6fa said:
Just a good draft class. And I think the point is that this year there are a LOT of rookie WR's making contributions and looking good. And Richardson doesn't. If you've seen some of these guys play, like Jarvis Landry, they look FAST! Richardson, doesn't. He doesn't look fast. He doesn't achieve separation. Rookie or not.

Are you basing this All-22 film, or what? I don't have the subscription to that myself, but I don't know that there's another way to judge his separation or lack thereof. Though, again, if separation is in fact an issue, that's absolutely the type of thing that improves with experience and further acclimation to the pro game.

Did you see Jordan Matthews or Martavis Bryant on their respective Monday night games? They look great. I'd be willing to pin some blame on Bevell except that I just don't see the athletic ability in his routes and kick returns that I see with someone like Jarvis Landry, whom we could have had.

I've seen them play. They're doing well. Not sure why I'd let the effectiveness of those receivers inform my expectations for Richardson at all. Until there's a long-term league-wide trend then realistic expectations for rookie wideouts are what they are.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
seabowl":1y84regs said:
ImTheScientist":1y84regs said:
seabowl":1y84regs said:

IMO you are over reacting. If he played equal time and had a chance to perform like other rookie wrs then you would have an argument. Think about that and then respond. Remember the response to Russell Wilson his first half of the season? Sit down and take a deep breath Mr. overreaction.