My 2 cents

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Everyone seems to have a theory as to why Russ has been off lately. The theories range anywhere from lack of intimate contact to just a natural slump and everywhere in between. I'm starting to wonder if he just has a tendency to not get up for the bigger games.

Here are his last 3 games:
Vs Carolina 20/32, 199 yards, 63% , 1 TD, QB rating 78
Vs Oakland 17/35, 179 yards, 49% , 0 TDs, QB rating 64
Vs Giants 10/17, 172 yards, 59% , 0 TDs, QB rating 54

Russell is a QB with a QB rating above 100 in his first two years. The last three games he has been significantly under. He constantly preaches that every week is a championship week. Go 1 and 0 every week he says. From a psychological standpoint, this is a difficult mind set to maintain.

I believe that there is no doubt that he gets up to play his best when they are on the biggest stages, MNF, prime time games, playoffs, and the Super Bowl. He also is at his best in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. I am starting to think that he just isn't as mentally into it when they are playing a (presumably) sub par team or if the game is not in the balance. Lately I have heard him make comments about how one of his strengths is to be able to remain calm in big moments and how he enjoys having to drive the team down for the game winner.

Looking at the previous 3 games where he has definately been in a statistical funk, you can look at each game and make an argument that they were not teams that would require your "A" game. When you take into consideration the "any given Sunday" argument, then this is a dangerous mindset to have. But humans will be humans and I believe that Russell Wilson, no matter how prepared and calculated is, has his human faults and this is the area that it may be most manifested. He may just need those big moments in order to play his best.

AVL

Reaction score
Russ has an addiction to the "Winning drive syndrome" along with " Recovering Bully dialogue".

He is definitely due for an intervention! He needs more bully back.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
I think we will see the "old" Russell here in the next few weeks. It's crunch time and he'll respond. Call it mid-season doldrums or whatever, but no one can be spot-on every week. Just shows the guy isn't a robot. He's already given us more that we could have reasonably hoped for from a 3rd round pick. We have a lot to look forward to for the next 10 years or so. GO HAWKS!!!