Chris Carson doesn't need to play. Feed PENNY the rock!

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I am just putting it out there.

Carson does not need to carry the ball on Saturday. You know what he can do. He needs to save his body for the upcoming season.

Penny is the guy that needs the touches, needs to get in a rhythm, needs to show what he can do.

Feed PENNY!

Carson shouldn't even dress for this game, honestly.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• You’re not wrong.

#homersjobtolose
    TalontedNoseRider
    * NET Kook *

• I agree, Prosise and Homer need some carries too.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

• Procise and carries as in plural? As in multiple carries? I think we have a better shot at three peteing than that.

Everyone knows that Procises real job is as the IR mascot.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• I agree on Penny..Someone said CJ too :roll: :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:I am just putting it out there.

Carson does not need to carry the ball on Saturday. You know what he can do. He needs to save his body for the upcoming season.

Penny is the guy that needs the touches, needs to get in a rhythm, needs to show what he can do.

Feed PENNY!

Carson shouldn't even dress for this game, honestly.

Carson will get a few touches and needs some exposure in order to get calibrated to the speed of the game, but I agree, Penny needs the lion's share of the work.

At this point, and so long as Carson stays healthy, Penny's role would seem to be a 3rd down, change of pace running back. One of the raps on him is that his blocking is somewhat less than stellar, an attribute that's critical for a 3rd down back, so it would be nice to see him get some experience at blocking in pass protection.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• After what happened to Cam last night, I don't need to see Russell either.

God I hate pre-season.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Make Penny the feature back Sat. Feed him the ball until he makes something happen or he gets benched . I am ready to see him do all the dynamic stuff ; that many claim he can do. I really wish he was " all that " ; but so far he keeps it pretty well hidden. Maybe he doesn't want to show his good stuff to the league . I want the best players on the field ; if it's not him ; then put the next guy in .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Wenhawk wrote:I agree, Prosise and Homer need some carries too.

Yep. May as well get Prosise back to his in season tub training so we can weed him out of the mix once and for all. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:After what happened to Cam last night, I don't need to see Russell either.

God I hate pre-season.

We need Russell to help properly evaluate the WR group!

Sorry....gotta have him in there.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:After what happened to Cam last night, I don't need to see Russell either.

God I hate pre-season.

I'm perfectly fine with Lockett, Brown, Metcalf and Moore.........and pick whoever you want after that to ride the bench. I don't need to see Russell throwing to our #4-6 WR's in meaningless games against base defenses.

Put in Geno and Barrett and I'll see ya in week 1. Too much risk, no reward.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:After what happened to Cam last night, I don't need to see Russell either.

God I hate pre-season.

I'm perfectly fine with Lockett, Brown, Metcalf and Moore.........and pick whoever you want after that to ride the bench. I don't need to see Russell throwing to our #4-6 WR's in meaningless games against base defenses.

Disagree. Too much risk? How many games has Russ missed due to injury again?

And how does Brown and Moore catapult to the top group at this point?

Russ takes nowhere near the risks that Scam takes...so no comparison there!
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

God I hate pre-season.

No games missed, but he was injured the entire 2016 season, and that carried over into him coming in heavy in 2017.

So nope, don't need to chance it. One series is fine, but I don't want to see him for an entire quarter or half risking injury, I just don't.

Brown? He's had a great camp and looked great last week with a couple nice catches. Moore? Do you really think one half of pre-season football with Russell at QB is going to be enough for you to see if Moore or anyone else for that matter is who we need to go with?

They're gonna run around, catch a couple balls (or not) and then we'll have this same conversation next week cause no one will really stand out.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:

No games missed, but he was injured the entire 2016 season, and that carried over into him coming in heavy in 2017.

So nope, don't need to chance it. One series is fine, but I don't want to see him for an entire quarter or half risking injury, I just don't.

Brown? He's had a great camp and looked great last week with a couple nice catches. Moore? Do you really think one half of pre-season football with Russell at QB is going to be enough for you to see if Moore or anyone else for that matter is who we need to go with?

They're gonna run around, catch a couple balls (or not) and then we'll have this same conversation next week cause no one will really stand out.

Well you may want to record the game and skip to late 3rd Q because Wilson is playing the entire 1st half plus at least the first series in the 3rd. :2thumbs:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    Well you may want to record the game and skip to late 3rd Q because Wilson is playing the entire 1st half plus at least the first series in the 3rd. :2thumbs:

Well I don't like it!!

Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• LOL.
    Well that .gif you posted could also well be Russ having a tantrum if he doesn't play. Dude never took his helmet off last game and wanted back in! I like that spirit about him myself. (sorry...I have to post this stuff so part timers like McGruff don't say I'm a Wilson hater :roll: )
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Might not be a bad idea.
    On the other hand, it could backfire.
    Obviously we want our startes to get reps.
    Now is the time to do that in preseason week 3.

Carson is obviously our best RB.
    Reckon Penny is solidly #2.
    Injury a concern maybe? I dunno.
    Can't imagine it's good for Carson to get no preseason reps.
    Keep him fresh and hungry when the season starts.
    Even Marshawn was playing in preseason in his 3rd year, right?
    Tough call, I guess.
    peachesenregalia
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Sgt. Largent wrote:After what happened to Cam last night, I don't need to see Russell either.

God I hate pre-season.

And to think that they used to have 6 preseason games.

They are a bit of a necessary evil, but they can damn sure cut them down to two. But that would mean that the owners would lose two games worth of revenue, and we can't have that.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:LOL.
    Well that .gif you posted could also well be Russ having a tantrum if he doesn't play. Dude never took his helmet off last game and wanted back in! I like that spirit about him myself. (sorry...I have to post this stuff so part timers like McGruff don't say I'm a Wilson hater :roll: )

Of course. You always want your players, especially your QB to be hyper competitive.

Doesn't mean if I was Pete I'd hide Russell's helmet after the first series.

Pre-season used to be 2-3 months to get all the fat asses that smoke and drank all off season to get back into shape and ready for the regular season.

Now teams and players are training and getting ready 24/7/365. So it's an antiquated meaningless part of the season that is only around because the greedy owners don't want to give up the revenue.

Have a couple pre-season scrimmages between teams with the QB's wearing red jerseys. Other than that, useless.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Seymour wrote:LOL.

Of course. You always want your players, especially your QB to be hyper competitive.

Doesn't mean if I was Pete I'd hide Russell's helmet after the first series.

Pre-season used to be 2-3 months to get all the fat asses that smoke and drank all off season to get back into shape and ready for the regular season.

Now teams and players are training and getting ready 24/7/365. So it's an antiquated meaningless part of the season that is only around because the greedy owners don't want to give up the revenue.

Have a couple pre-season scrimmages between teams with the QB's wearing red jerseys. Other than that, useless.

Russ doesn't need a helmet!!

He has recovery water to ward off any possible concussion issues you silly goose!

(I'm joking you know...sorry...I have to post this stuff so part timers like McGruff don't say I'm a Wilson hater :roll: )
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Well you don't have to worry about seeing Moore do amazing things this weekend Seymour, he's "out for a bit" according to Condotta this morning.

So lots and lots of Jazz, Ursua, Jennings and all the other dudes battling for practice squad spots to quench your pre-season thirst.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Penny averaged less than 5 carries per game last season, however, when he was allowed his season high of 12 carries, he had his first 100-yard rushing game. It is probably difficult to even break a sweat with 5 carries. I recall many games when Lynch started out VERY slow and as he was given more & more carries, he'd play very well as the game went on, maybe Penny has that gene in his pool?
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:Might not be a bad idea.
    On the other hand, it could backfire.
    Obviously we want our startes to get reps.
    Now is the time to do that in preseason week 3.

Carson is obviously our best RB.
    Reckon Penny is solidly #2.
    Injury a concern maybe? I dunno.
    Can't imagine it's good for Carson to get no preseason reps.
    Keep him fresh and hungry when the season starts.
    Even Marshawn was playing in preseason in his 3rd year, right?
    Tough call, I guess.

Carson played great against Minnesota, and looked in sync with the line. He is ready. Reps in this game will not help him in anyway, the only thing that could happen is he could get dinged.

The benefits of resting him up for the regular season, far outweigh the near zero benefit of playing him in this game at this juncture.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Carroll said that he wants to see everybody play that is able to play . Personally I don't want to see Wilson---Wagner---Lockett---Brown---and especially Carson play tonight . Carroll needs to play it safe with all the dings they already have .IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:Carroll said that he wants to see everybody play that is able to play . Personally I don't want to see Wilson---Wagner---Lockett---Brown---and especially Carson play tonight . Carroll needs to play it safe with all the dings they already have .IMO

Feel free to add to this list . :0190l:
    xray
    NET Veteran

• Everybody bagging on Penny. You have to give him space. He is not a bell cow RB. Think pitches, options and swing passes. He will excel in that role.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

• I don't want to wait 2 weeks to watch Carson play. A freak injury can happen to anyone on the first play of the game. Does that mean Carson shouldn't get a few snaps? And if Penny is 'so good' then losing Carson wouldn't be a massive loss wouldn't it?
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

• quadsas wrote:I don't want to wait 2 weeks to watch Carson play. A freak injury can happen to anyone on the first play of the game. Does that mean Carson shouldn't get a few snaps? And if Penny is 'so good' then losing Carson wouldn't be a massive loss wouldn't it?

Carson might get a few downs tonight but hopefully not many . Penny hasn't shown yet that he could take on Carson's workload . He is not the grinder that the offense needs to succeed . IMO if Carson goes down for an extended period ; the Hawks can forget any chance of winning the division .
    xray
    NET Veteran

• bevellisthedevil wrote:Everybody bagging on Penny. You have to give him space. He is not a bell cow RB. Think pitches, options and swing passes. He will excel in that role.

They drafted him to be a starter if necessary . To come in and play RB without losing production . If they used him as you described ; defenses would figure that out in very short order and track him down every time he was on the field .IMO
    xray
    NET Veteran

• CC is pretty established by now, we know what we are going to get from him. The fact that we concentrate on running AND we only have one reliable running back makes Carson particularly vulnerable.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• xray wrote:
    quadsas wrote:I don't want to wait 2 weeks to watch Carson play. A freak injury can happen to anyone on the first play of the game. Does that mean Carson shouldn't get a few snaps? And if Penny is 'so good' then losing Carson wouldn't be a massive loss wouldn't it?

Carson might get a few downs tonight but hopefully not many . Penny hasn't shown yet that he could take on Carson's workload . He is not the grinder that the offense needs to succeed . IMO if Carson goes down for an extended period ; the Hawks can forget any chance of winning the division .

Penny was great I was told though
    quadsas
    NET Veteran

• Is Scarborough still around? Could be a dark horse RB.
    mrblitz
    NET Veteran

• Since Carson is the engine that makes this offense go, I agree with OP, rest him up. The guy doesn't know how to save his body (a point in his favor IMO) and we know what we have with him.

I think Penny has talent I just hate the fit with this team. Pete's offense runs the ball a lot, and the Carson types who get positive yardage every play, like Marshawn, keep things on schedule even when blocking breaks down. Penny is a boom/bust guy so far, love what he can do with a crease, but I just don't see how that fits the offense. Even on third down last year I preferred Davis who could drag a defender or truck if need be and catch the ball displaying enough nifty moves.

Penny is a guy who can feast when the D doesn't see it coming, but that smells like gimmick to me and our O doesn't do gimmicks. Harvin and Jimmy should have been enough evidence on that score.

That said, I want to feed Penny a ton this preseason and see what we have there. He's the back with the most to prove IMO. Is he a solid backup? Or just a gimmick change of pace. Let's find out.
    hawk45
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information