(OPINION) Wilson won't sign an extension this year unless

chris98251

Reaction score
I really wish Wilson would sign so we can stop having these threads that say he is a waste of a roster spot being paid as a top 5 guys that he is and that his skills have diminished and he will be washed up. At least I have not seen Too Short used for a while and that's something.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1evlwftp said:
If you're Pete Carroll and your system is run 60 percent of the time, control the clock, and try to play elite defense, why do you want to pay 35-40 million a year to your QB??

Wouldn't it serve you better to grab a cheap, inexperienced yet promising talented rookie QB and build your team on that??

Even Pete Carroll has to answer to somebody. And the fans aren't filling the seats because of Pete Carrroll. And nobody is buying Pete Carroll merchandise.

Mike McCarthy learned that hard lesson. When the QB succeeds, coach looks the genius. So do the best by your QB.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2n2d8bm1 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":2n2d8bm1 said:
If you're Pete Carroll and your system is run 60 percent of the time, control the clock, and try to play elite defense, why do you want to pay 35-40 million a year to your QB??

Wouldn't it serve you better to grab a cheap, inexperienced yet promising talented rookie QB and build your team on that??

Even Pete Carroll has to answer to somebody. And the fans aren't filling the seats because of Pete Carrroll. And nobody is buying Pete Carroll merchandise.

Mike McCarthy learned that hard lesson. When the QB succeeds, coach looks the genius. So do the best by your QB.
Success fills the seats and sells the merchandise, and Pete Carroll has brought more success to this team than any other head coach in the team's history.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Pete Carroll also had back to back losing record seasons with Seattle until Russell Wilson arrived.

Then it was all winning seasons until present.
I know exactly what the missing puzzle piece was that brought all that success. It was Russell Wilson.

chris98251

Reaction score
Aros":8r89y0fe said:
Interesting take from NFL.com's Bucky Brooks...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -drew-lock

Unconventional approach has been the hallmark of Pete and John, I could see them doing this, but it would need to be a deal of Hershal Walker type payback, saying that we have not done well in player trades for known commodities over the years with our net returns, as far as draft picks for him again it would have to be of a nature that we garner exceptional return. There would also have to be a target we fall in love with like we did with Wilson that we assume will rise to the occasion.

Then you have the Fan reaction, Wilson has been the face of the Franchise so to speak, he is non controversial, donates his time to the Children's Hospital etc. Yes people will go to games still, but the faith in the Front Office for trading away a guy that many in the area look at as the role model for a Franchise spokes person and leader is not going to be received well.

Now we talk about the hardcore fans, those who would say you don't trade your Franchise QB in his prime that has got you into the playoffs and two Super Bowls every year but one since he has been here.

The Seahawks will be taking flack from the Mediots non stop till whomever is the replacement succeeds, if he fails then we will be looked upon as a stupid Front Office that traded away opportunity for greatness. Especially if Wilson succeeds immediately where ever he goes.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
chris98251":1sowi1he said:
Aros":1sowi1he said:

Unconventional approach has been the hallmark of Pete and John, I could see them doing this, but it would need to be a deal of Hershal Walker type payback, saying that we have not done well in player trades for known commodities over the years with our net returns, as far as draft picks for him again it would have to be of a nature that we garner exceptional return. There would also have to be a target we fall in love with like we did with Wilson that we assume will rise to the occasion.

Then you have the Fan reaction, Wilson has been the face of the Franchise so to speak, he is non controversial, donates his time to the Children's Hospital etc. Yes people will go to games still, but the faith in the Front Office for trading away a guy that many in the area look at as the role model for a Franchise spokes person and leader is not going to be received well.

Now we talk about the hardcore fans, those who would say you don't trade your Franchise QB in his prime that has got you into the playoffs and two Super Bowls every year but one since he has been here.

The Seahawks will be taking flack from the Mediots non stop till whomever is the replacement succeeds, if he fails then we will be looked upon as a stupid Front Office that traded away opportunity for greatness. Especially if Wilson succeeds immediately where ever he goes.
I could see Carroll taking that kind of risk, but I don't think he will. The article is interesting, and that agent is definitely the wildcard in this situation. He is a bit unconventional in the way he does things, and he is really a big fan of "leaking" information. I think that NYG rumor could have possibly came straight from him. Is it the truth? Probably not.

I do think it was interesting how John Schneider turned up at Allens pro day last season. That was a bit out of left field, we seemed to spend a lot of time and resources scouting a potential first round QB when we already had one. There is a bit of fire here, but in the end I think it is all apart of posturing.

Carroll I don't think would risk his job over getting rid of Wilson. We have a new owner, and who knows what Carroll and her relationship is. He can't risk rocking the boat so hard here. Letting go of Wilson, and bringing in a rookie or inexperienced starter and a mediocre season to bad season could spell the end of Carroll. In the end I think we will pay whatever Wilson asks for, for better or for worse.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3pghmizl said:
chris98251":3pghmizl said:
Aros":3pghmizl said:

I could see Carroll taking that kind of risk, but I don't think he will. The article is interesting, and that agent is definitely the wildcard in this situation. He is a bit unconventional in the way he does things, and he is really a big fan of "leaking" information. I think that NYG rumor could have possibly came straight from him. Is it the truth? Probably not.

I do think it was interesting how John Schneider turned up at Allens pro day last season. That was a bit out of left field, we seemed to spend a lot of time and resources scouting a potential first round QB when we already had one. There is a bit of fire here, but in the end I think it is all apart of posturing.

Carroll I don't think would risk his job over getting rid of Wilson. We have a new owner, and who knows what Carroll and her relationship is. He can't risk rocking the boat so hard here. Letting go of Wilson, and bringing in a rookie or inexperienced starter and a mediocre season to bad season could spell the end of Carroll. In the end I think we will pay whatever Wilson asks for, for better or for worse.

Throw this scenario out there for argument, Trade Wilson to the Jags for Foles and McGough plus picks, Coughlin would love Wilson and his demeanor and work ethic, Jags have floundered but have the basic situation we have with defense and offense controlled by the run etc.

We get a guy in Foles that won, his contract isn't over the top, we get a back up we liked well enough to draft and bring in who is a lot like Wilson and picks or players.

OP
OP
N

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":25zu74v5 said:
chris98251":25zu74v5 said:
Aros":25zu74v5 said:

It's not happening this year . The two sides haven't even talked yet no numbers have been floated by either side. Wilson will play this year then who knows. NY has the draft capital to make a possible run at Wilson though i see that as unlikely. Wilson will play out his contract then we'll see Seattle will have the option of using the exclusive tag if they have to. Alot can happen between now and then i'm not worried about it and to be honest losing Wilson isn't the end of the world some here would have you believe . He's only getting older and i don't see another superbowl appearence with Wilson at QB in Seattle.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2dyksv92 said:
Pete Carroll also had back to back losing record seasons with Seattle until Russell Wilson arrived.

I know exactly what the missing puzzle piece was that brought all that success. It was Russell Wilson.
So you're saying 2 years is an excessive amount of time to turn around a team that went 4-12 and then 5-11? That Pete Carroll should have been able to win right away with that 5-11 squad? I mean, aside from taking it to the playoffs and beating the defending Super Bowl champions...

Palmegranite

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1x2pt7hk said:
Palmegranite":1x2pt7hk said:

So you're saying 2 years is an excessive amount of time to turn around a team that went 4-12 and then 5-11? That Pete Carroll should have been able to win right away with that 5-11 squad? I mean, aside from taking it to the playoffs and beating the defending Super Bowl champions...
I'll answer with this question. Was it coach Zagallo, or was it Pelé? Was it coach Sather or was it Gretzky? Was it coach Stengel or was it DiMaggio?

chris98251

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3qqf0w6i said:
Spin Doctor":3qqf0w6i said:
chris98251":3qqf0w6i said:
Aros":3qqf0w6i said:

It's not happening this year . The two sides haven't even talked yet no numbers have been floated by either side. Wilson will play this year then who knows. NY has the draft capital to make a possible run at Wilson though i see that as unlikely. Wilson will play out his contract then we'll see Seattle will have the option of using the exclusive tag if they have to. Alot can happen between now and then i'm not worried about it and to be honest losing Wilson isn't the end of the world some here would have you believe . He's only getting older and i don't see another superbowl appearence with Wilson at QB in Seattle.

So making a deal when the Seahawks still control his rights will never happen, being 30 is to old for a QB, and no other team other then NY has draft capital or players that may interest the Seahawks, Glad you have it all figured out.

Tical21

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2mj3sy0g said:
Tical21":2mj3sy0g said:
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

45 doesnt make sense.

I think he will go after a competitive annual salary but his primary objective will be the guaranteed money
With that third franchise year being 50, and considering what he would go for on the open market, 45 would be in play.

Guarantees dont matter for quarterbacks.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Tical21":2kg2c5u9 said:
Uncle Si":2kg2c5u9 said:
Tical21":2kg2c5u9 said:
45 makes sense. If he played hardball, that's about what he would make over the next 7 years. But he won't play that game.

45 doesnt make sense.

I think he will go after a competitive annual salary but his primary objective will be the guaranteed money
With that third franchise year being 50, and considering what he would go for on the open market, 45 would be in play.

Disagree, in no way does a 34% increase from the top QB salary APY (Aaron Rodgers at 33.5M) make sense. That would be a historic jump.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
OP is clearly wrong. Wilson will actually demand the entire team salary or he will walk.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Tical21":3gwdf28m said:
Uncle Si":3gwdf28m said:
Tical21":3gwdf28m said:

45 doesnt make sense.

Why wouldn't a guarantee matter to a qb?

John63

Reaction score
Good lord really, the OP makes up some BS story about Wilson wanting some large number. Something no one from Wilsons team has said, and we are acting like it is fact. Here is an idea why not wait till we have some idea what he is asking for. We went through this at his last contract, and guess what he ended up taking way less then some here thought he would. If he is within 10% of Rodgers his contract will look great by end of next year anyway, as others will get more. Oh wait I forget some here think we can win with Blak Bortles or some other journeymen QB. All we need to do is get our Defense to #1, make sure our run game does not suffer from no Wilson, and make sure Bortles or whoever can throw a great deep ball, keep plays alive, and be top 5 in efficiency while only throwing 25 times a game, be top 3 in comeback victories all while also being in the top 3 in hit, hurried, sacked or pressured in under 2.5 seconds. A snap that is why it has happened so many times before, NOT

IndyHawk

Reaction score
John63":1pqbaudd said:
Good lord really, the OP makes up some BS story about Wilson wanting some large number. Something no one from Wilsons team has said, and we are acting like it is fact. Here is an idea why not wait till we have some idea what he is asking for. We went through this at his last contract, and guess what he ended up taking way less then some here thought he would. If he is within 10% of Rodgers his contract will look great by end of next year anyway, as others will get more. Oh wait I forget some here think we can win with Blak Bortles or some other journeymen QB. All we need to do is get our Defense to #1, make sure our run game does not suffer from no Wilson, and make sure Bortles or whoever can throw a great deep ball, keep plays alive, and be top 5 in efficiency while only throwing 25 times a game, be top 3 in comeback victories all while also being in the top 3 in hit, hurried, sacked or pressured in under 2.5 seconds. A snap that is why it has happened so many times before, NOT
Time for me to chime in :D
The OP did not exactly make anything up as we all saw his agent indicate RW is going
to make or pass AR's contract..
On his last contract .You could look through our posts on that and see he did get paid
more than a lot of us wanted..Hometown discount?Yeah sure..
Blake Bortles?Why would we need that?We need a great D with a game manager who
can throw the touch passes on screens,quick slants and over the medium middle.
The deep ball and more time to pass will follow if we have a good running game to go
with that.
Is it all that simple?probaly not but to say there isn't a QB alive that can do it for under
$20 million is silly..Today's game is so much easier for rookie QB's and average QB's
to come in and play without the traditional "he's going to suck"..

John63

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2clzu23o said:
John63":2clzu23o said:
Time for me to chime in :D
The OP did not exactly make anything up as we all saw his agent indicate RW is going
to make or pass AR's contract..
On his last contract .You could look through our posts on that and see he did get paid
more than a lot of us wanted..Hometown discount?Yeah sure..
Blake Bortles?Why would we need that?We need a great D with a game manager who
can throw the touch passes on screens,quick slants and over the medium middle.
The deep ball and more time to pass will follow if we have a good running game to go
with that.
Is it all that simple?probaly not but to say there isn't a QB alive that can do it for under
$20 million is silly..Today's game is so much easier for rookie QB's and average QB's
to come in and play without the traditional "he's going to suck"..

and again if it were that easy, it would get done every year and yet it does not. Also, the OP said 45 mil that is way more than what Rodgers got, and is a made up number as no place did anyone say that. As to your assertion of that being all we need, great but the fact show otherwise. Show me the last Rookie to win a SB? You mention this grand design for how we would do it, that is all great but again if it were that easy it would be getting done every year, but it is not. As to more time to pass if we have had a great run game, hello we had a great run game and the time to throw or great pass protection still has not come.

Once again if it as simple as you say it would be done every year but it is not. If it is so simple for a rookie to come in and play one would have won an SB but they have not.

All that said the OP said "It's at least 45 plus million a year. " there is not a fact to support that and no one from Wilsons camp has said that, The number is way way more than Rodgers, and there for as I said a made up BS number.