Kicker position upgrade

HawkGA

Reaction score
Kicker seems like a good position for the practice squad. Kickers seem to need a bit of time to really come into their own so get a young one, keep him around a few years on the PS, then see what you've got. That said, I don't think anybody keeps a kicker in the PS so I'm probably wrong.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have seen them get cute with, Long Snapper, Holder, and Kicker, each move costs us games and wins. These are the things that drive us as fans crazy. The whole kicking sequence is like a machine, each piece has to have confidence in the other as well as be able to execute in adverse situations. Why going cheap or just finding a guy keeps biting us.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":13ogwfvg said:
We have seen them get cute with, Long Snapper, Holder, and Kicker, each move costs us games and wins. These are the things that drive us as fans crazy. The whole kicking sequence is like a machine, each piece has to have confidence in the other as well as be able to execute in adverse situations. Why going cheap or just finding a guy keeps biting us.

Fundamentally don"t disagree, however wouldn't it be nice if the team could draft a K who turns out to be as good as our Punter. It seems as if the team is somewhat grasping at straws with their choices at this position. Pay for it or draft it, just get it.

Given the team mentality of winning late it'd be nice to have the leg that could boot the long FG with consistency. even if the team was into winning early it'd be nice to have a PK who could be depended upon from 55 in. This should be a key offseason priority.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Does "drafting it" work though? Honest question. Seems like most kickers seem to bounce around and then one of them hits. I recall the Seahawks drafting Kasay but that's been about it. There was the kicker they drafted the year they kept two kickers on the roster (drink!). SeaBass was obviously drafted, but how many kickers were drafted by the teams they currently kick for (or, for vets, kicked for several years for the team that drafted them)?

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Stephen Gostkowski
Jason Elam
Jason Hanson
Robbie Gould
Phil Dawson
Greg Zuerlein
Mason Crosby

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The AAF is giving some guys some good game experience even though there are no kickoffs or extra points. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone from that league signed to a tryout

GermanKicker23

Reaction score
Jason Myers, after we let him go last year, is an UFA in 2019. After his good season for the Jets i hope that there is a chance to unmake that mistake and sign him. I think that he will not be cheap like this season (750.000 Cap Hit), but i would feel very good to have him at Kicker. He will not be paid like an elite kicker, but will do the job for us.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
GermanKicker23":2sa47pj7 said:
Jason Myers, after we let him go last year, is an UFA in 2019. After his good season for the Jets i hope that there is a chance to unmake that mistake and sign him. I think that he will not be cheap like this season (750.000 Cap Hit), but i would feel very good to have him at Kicker. He will not be paid like an elite kicker, but will do the job for us.

There's a decent chance that the Jets franchise tag him if they can't work a deal out.

Crazily, there could be 3 kickers this year who all get hit with the franchise tag (Myers, Gould, and Gostkowski) -- IIRC in almost all years it's zero, and every once in awhile it's one.

Looking around the NFL, it's not a good year to need a kicker.

The upside to all this is that year-to-year performance for kickers is about as close to random as you can get on an NFL playing field.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":cdrqjcqd said:
All I know is John and Pete need to quit fooling around and figure this out quick. They could've had a potential long term answer had they kept Myers. I, along with others here, had a bad feeling Seabass was the wrong choice as soon as the news broke. I hope they have learned from their recent mistakes and make finding a good kicker a top priority. I don't care what it takes. Signing a few FAs, drafting one, signing an UDFA. Bring multiple legs into camp. Whatever! Just learn from your mistakes. That's all I ask of them at this point.

I remember when we signed Seabass. A friend said "Hey, you picked up Seabass!" I replied, "Yeah, with a forklift..."

GermanKicker23

Reaction score
Popeyejones":l05y930n said:
GermanKicker23":l05y930n said:

There's a decent chance that the Jets franchise tag him if they can't work a deal out.

Crazily, there could be 3 kickers this year who all get hit with the franchise tag (Myers, Gould, and Gostkowski) -- IIRC in almost all years it's zero, and every once in awhile it's one.

Looking around the NFL, it's not a good year to need a kicker.

The upside to all this is that year-to-year performance for kickers is about as close to random as you can get on an NFL playing field.

Yes, didn't had that in mind. Wow... A Franchise Tag on a Kicker or multiple Kicker, what a time to be alive.

Well, I will prepare myself for another season full of lousy kicking.