Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

ET III interesting twist.

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Re: ET III interesting twist.
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:28 pm
  • Jerruh loves offense.
    "...and now they got a bicycle!"
    Sac
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 pm
  • One guy is 24yo the other is 29yo. Could be the difference between a 1 or 2nd rounder.
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm
  • Rookie deal vs 3rd contract. One on the rise, the other peaked and will be on the decline.

Also....obviously completely different positions and need. I'd venture to say they are really hurting for consistent targets in Dallas more than at FS position.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm
  • Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm
  • Apples and oranges if you're comparing Earl vs. Cooper's trade value. Different position, different age.

The most drastic comparison is Gordon vs. Cooper. The Brown only got a 5th rounder for Gordon. IMO the Cowboys way overpaid for Cooper, 1st is crazy.

Guess it goes to show you why some organizations stay on top (Patriots), and some never get it (Browns and Cowboys).
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm
  • One of the players mentioned is really good at football, the other isnt.
    I still can't believe Dallas gave up a possible top 15 pick for Amari Cooper (and they will be giving him a nice new huge contract too.)
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:04 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Apples and oranges if you're comparing Earl vs. Cooper's trade value. Different position, different age.

The most drastic comparison is Gordon vs. Cooper. The Brown only got a 5th rounder for Gordon. IMO the Cowboys way overpaid for Cooper, 1st is crazy.

Guess it goes to show you why some organizations stay on top (Patriots), and some never get it (Browns and Cowboys).

So much this. Assuming ET didnt get hurt he would have made that team better over Cooper.
    After yesterday’s loss, Crazy uncle Jerruh is desperate.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:05 pm
  • Definitely overpaid, but is also a position they desperately need improve. They don't need a safety the way they need a receiver so Jerry let the need override his brain.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:13 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Apples and oranges if you're comparing Earl vs. Cooper's trade value. Different position, different age.

And they were lucky to get that. Gordon is one misstep away from a permanent ban by the NFL.

Cooper has no off the field issues that I know of. Dallas will get much more long term production out of Amari Cooper than Josh Gordon will provide for the Patriots.

All that said, a 1st was too much to give up for a mediocre WR with a concussion. I would think maybe a 2nd since it's a rookie contract with a 5th year option. That saves a lot of money.

Earl won't be getting traded. His contract will end in December, and he will sign with whoever he wants to. But he's going to be severely disappointed about the offers he will receive.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:14 pm
  • It seems that Amari's concussion transferred over to Jerry Jones. Cowboys gave up too much for a #2 or 3 WR at best.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:22 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Apples and oranges if you're comparing Earl vs. Cooper's trade value. Different position, different age.

And they were lucky to get that. Gordon is one misstep away from a permanent ban by the NFL.

Cooper has no off the field issues that I know of. Dallas will get much more long term production out of Amari Cooper than Josh Gordon will provide for the Patriots.

All that said, a 1st was too much to give up for a mediocre WR with a concussion. I would think maybe a 2nd since it's a rookie contract with a 5th year option. That saves a lot of money.

For sure it's not EXACTLY the same, Gordon obviously has some baggage that dropped his value. But IMO a 5th was right for Gordon, and a 1st is WAY too much for Cooper, who's underperformed now for two straight years........and btw is an UFA after next season.

Especially for an offense like the Cowboys that want to run the ball over 50% of the time behind their line and Zeke, makes no sense.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:30 pm
  • Jerry Jones is like most pundits that believe offense is the key to today's NFL and that bolstering a defense is foolish. So WR's are overvalued over defensive players in general.

But come winter and playoff time, you'll see a good number of top defensive teams in the hunt and several offensive teams suddenly fall by the wayside. Happens every year seemingly.

43-8
    Mad Dog
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:Jerry Jones is like most pundits that believe offense is the key to today's NFL and that bolstering a defense is foolish. So WR's are overvalued over defensive players in general.

But come winter and playoff time, you'll see a good number of top defensive teams in the hunt and several offensive teams suddenly fall by the wayside. Happens every year seemingly.

43-8

Jones thinks that bolstering a defense is "foolish"?? Where does that come from?

Sorry, but that sounds foolish to me. Just because he hasn't made it a priority doesn't mean he believes it's foolish to invest in defense.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:20 pm
  • Seems shortsighted but then again Jerrah has always done things his way and hasn't won the big games for a very long time.

Earl is unlikely to be paid by them and probably won't get the deal he wants regardless of the team that decides they are prepared to sign him.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:32 pm
  • Foolish yes, but not as foolish as our GM trading a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for an injury-prone Percy Harvin and giving him a 67 million dollar contract. Weird how NFL GMs fall in love with wide receivers from other teams.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:39 pm
  • The Cowboys were supposed to be a very good offense and a porous defense.

The reverse has happened.

The Cowboys, being used to having a good offense, are panicking. So the obvious simplistic answer is that the offense is failing because their lost their best WR. But they cannot get him because giving in to Dez is not going to go over well. They got Cooper, hoping he can be another Dez without the drama.

They are hoping that turns the offense back into what it was. But the problem is their line, not the loss of the WR.

This has nothing to do with Earl, this is the panicked trading of a #1 for a WR to fix an offense that is failing miserably.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:17 pm
  • Funny thing is they probably could've got Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick and received equal production as Amari Cooper will give them. Both players drop a lot of passes.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 pm
  • Part of this just may be Gruden wanting to re-make the roster.....so it becomes more of 'his' team? Just sayin' :mrgreen:
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:23 pm
  • Mad Dog wrote:Jerry Jones is like most pundits that believe offense is the key to today's NFL and that bolstering a defense is foolish. So WR's are overvalued over defensive players in general.

43-8

Kind of like that time that we traded away our first and third round pick for a wide receiver that we never used, or that time we traded a first, and our best offensive lineman for a tight end that we didn't use properly. Or what about that time before that where we tried to trade for Brandon Marshall. Any of those moves seem to ring any bells?

We can criticize the Cowboys all we want, but the Seahawks have made similar moves that have ended in epic disasters.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:36 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Part of this just may be Gruden wanting to re-make the roster.....so it becomes more of 'his' team? Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Gruden has five number ones in the next two years. Gotta love it.

ET would've been better for the Boys no doubt. Personally, I think the QB makes the receiver.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:57 pm
  • Atradees wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:Part of this just may be Gruden wanting to re-make the roster.....so it becomes more of 'his' team? Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Gruden has five number ones in the next two years. Gotta love it.

ET would've been better for the Boys no doubt. Personally, I think the QB makes the receiver.

They do some of the time. Guys like Brees, Brady, and Rodgers definitely make their receivers better. I don't believe Kurt Warner or Carson Palmer made Larry Fitzgerald. Or Jake Delhomme, Cam Newton, or Joe Flacco made Steve Smith. Don't believe any of the revolving Browns QB made Josh Gordon. Julio Jones would have been great even if he didn't have Matt Ryan throwing to him. Imagine Matt Ryan without Jones or Roddy White, he wouldn't be as good. Same for Andy Dalton without AJ Green.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:08 pm
  • Earl Thomas is gone ....like Sherman didn't play yesterday.....let it go...they are old slow and injury prone ...just like us
    xray
    NET Starter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 pm
  • Spin Doctor wrote:
    Mad Dog wrote:Jerry Jones is like most pundits that believe offense is the key to today's NFL and that bolstering a defense is foolish. So WR's are overvalued over defensive players in general.

43-8

Kind of like that time that we traded away our first and third round pick for a wide receiver that we never used, or that time we traded a first, and our best offensive lineman for a tight end that we didn't use properly. Or what about that time before that where we tried to trade for Brandon Marshall. Any of those moves seem to ring any bells?

We can criticize the Cowboys all we want, but the Seahawks have made similar moves that have ended in epic disasters.

Actually its night and day.We were competing for SBs where one player might make a difference.I wouldnt call them epic disasters. We did win a SB and Harvin had a kick return for a TD. We had a window and the front office made gambles to make a run. Cowboys have no shot at anything and Cooper isnt a game changer.He is a second rate WR.
    justafan
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:22 pm
  • Jerruh is hurting our Earl's feeling with this move. Earl is 10 times the player Cooper will ever be, and Earl can help the Girls where they needed help.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:38 pm
  • Earl's been injured 3 times in 3 years IIRC
    That makes a diff too and will also be available next year and said publicly that's where he wants to go , not that Jerruh is a patient man but it adds to it
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:40 pm
  • Earl's been injured 3 times in 3 years IIRC
    That makes a diff too and will also be available next year and said publicly that's where he wants to go , not that Jerruh is a patient man but it adds to it
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:00 am
  • Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

My hope was that we would discuss ET and what his value to the Cowboys was at the time the trade was a possibility.

I guess maybe the Cowboys needs have shifted but I found it interesting that they would give up a 1st for AC but not a 2nd for ET III.

can’t speak for Earl but this move sure seems like a slap in the face. I’d love the hear his thoughts.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:17 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

My hope was that we would discuss ET and what his value to the Cowboys was at the time the trade was a possibility.

I guess maybe the Cowboys needs have shifted but I found it interesting that they would give up a 1st for AC but not a 2nd for ET III.

can’t speak for Earl but this move sure seems like a slap in the face. I’d love the hear his thoughts.

Don't see it as being a slap in the face. If we look at this objectively then we would see that safeties are not being valued in the NFL for whatever reason. With Earl we also have the issue of his age, and recent injury history. As another poster said, he had been injured two times in the last two seasons before this injury, and now he's 3 for 3. We're also in a climate where good wide receivers were scarce in the offseason. Not many were around this year. I think even mediocre talent was taken all too high in the NFL draft at that position.

Now, as for Amari Cooper. He's had great success in the past, and he is only 24. You're gambling on him rekindling that fire and capturing his former glory. That could happen, or it could be another Joey Galloway situation for the Cowboys. Personally, I think that both Thomas, and Cooper are bad decisions for a team like a Cowboys.
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:23 am
  • CalgaryHawk wrote:Foolish yes, but not as foolish as our GM trading a 1st rounder and a 3rd rounder for an injury-prone Percy Harvin and giving him a 67 million dollar contract. Weird how NFL GMs fall in love with wide receivers from other teams.

You think it was JS?

That move has “Big Balls Pete” written all over it. Now I’d be totally with you though on Graham another rather myopic trade. Both trades hurt the team on many levels and in part created part of the cap nightmare they had to work through while yielding no draft fresh talent. It provided two expensive players who, while both had terrific ability properly used,never fit the team or were not used here to their best ability’s.

Those two trades hurt the team significantly, arguably cost Tate, two lost first round and other draft picks, Ungrer, and OLine woes, and created or contributed to an odd entitlement dynamic in a locker room that was suffering from ego issues.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to consistently take the final step. The interior rush needs improvement. The OLine clearly still needs work.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:00 am
  • JJones has the benefit of looking at more information than just W/L column, like us. I'm sure he's looking at ticket sales, apparel sales, advertising revenue, sponsorship income.... It's early in the season and they're not living up to even the lowest pre-season expectations. Jerry needed something to stop the cash-flow leak. A first round pick for a good/not great WR is crazy. A first round pick that allows the sales staff enthusiasm and a new starting point to approach big spenders and also lands a good/not great WR is probably a good immediate investment. (... the difference in Jones and Allen.) Also easily explains why Cooper is worth more to them than Thomas. A new Safety isn't going to have the same sales impact as a Big WR that can stand next to Dak and Zeke in welcoming press conference. They're going to try to sell it as the second coming of Aikman/Irvin/Smith.
    chrispy
    NET Rookie

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:08 am
  • pmedic920 wrote:Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

This!!!

“A 1st for AC, but not a 2nd for ET III, that got to hurt.” Really couldn’t say it any better. Earl is ten time the football player AC will ever be, and he could help the Girls more than Cooper.

Earl should channel some Pete hate towards Jerruh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toffee
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:15 am
  • toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

This!!!

“A 1st for AC, but not a 2nd for ET III, that got to hurt.” Really couldn’t say it any better. Earl is ten time the football player AC will ever be, and he could help the Girls more than Cooper.

Or Earl should run for CEO of the LOB (Legion of Bricks) for opening his mouth and tying our trade hands to begin with. :snack:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 pm

^^^^^This

Absolutely, in this day of salary caps and high percentage guarantees you have to make well thought out decisions. Obviously, it's not an exact science and you don't want to be overly cautious to the point of paranoia but best to be circumspect.

(There is a caveat to this in that Brady plays for less than he's worth but he still makes 20.5 million a year so you can't completely ascribe it to that.)
    Apple Cup Week: "I've always felt that being a Cougar prepares you for life. You learn not to expect too much."
    --UW Coach Don James
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:30 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    pmedic920 wrote:Sorry I haven’t been back for a minute.

This!!!

Or Earl should run for CEO of the LOB (Legion of Bricks) for opening his mouth and tying our trade hands to begin with. :snack:

This!

toffee
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information