Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Solid break down on the differences between Solari and Cable

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• Good article, thank you. Cable was bad enough to really raise the eyebrow on how and why Pete got so hornswoggled and out of touch into signing and even worse, keeping him 7 years.

I'm just glad he found Solari and not some other bonehead that puts Wilson in a wheelchair. :2thumbs:

With Solari here since 2011....we have minimum of 2 if not 3 SB wins. That is how much damage Fable did here. :pukeface:
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• I think we can all agree that Cable needed to go but after 2 weeks this change looked like a total, utter failure.

Now, what we're seeing is exactly what we were hoping for. It just took a few weeks for the line to forget everything Cable taught them.

Great article & thx for sharing.
    Hockey Guy
    NET Practice Squad

• Hockey Guy wrote: after 2 weeks this change looked like a total, utter failure.

Fluker wasn't out there until Week 3.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• Hockey Guy wrote:I think we can all agree that Cable needed to go but after 2 weeks this change looked like a total, utter failure.

Now, what we're seeing is exactly what we were hoping for. It just took a few weeks for the line to forget everything Cable taught them.

Great article & thx for sharing.

That failure was largely due to Pete spent the off season drafting and FA and prepping to run the ball, then he admitted that he pushed Schotty to throw the ball downfield which started the D teeing off on us. That and we always start slow it seems, plus Mack plus Miller.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Now maybe some of the Brian Schotts bashers can now see how a GOOD Offensive Line Coach like Solari, can make an Offensive Coordinator's job a LOT easier to design plays that actually work.
    With Cable's Coached O-Line constantly flubbing up, is it any wonder that Darryl Bevell was having so many of his designed plays go awry?
    Truth is, Russell Wilson's outstanding play masked deficiencies....A LOT OF THEM, is it any wonder that he (Wilson) hasn't appeared to have taken the next step in his development.
    Thank the Football Gods for hiring of Solari :irishdrinkers:
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I wouldn't have minded keeping Darrel the Devil Bevel for a year under Solari. It would have been interesting to see what he did with a half-competent line, and control of the running game.
    Fire Tom Cable

Still can't believe we let Alex Collins go
    bigskydoc
    NET Veteran

• Coaching by Solari obviously contributed to our current success, but there are other factors too:

1. A healthy Brown.
    2. Brown's mentoring of Ifedi.
    3. Development of Ifedi and Britt.
    4. Addition of two veterans in Fluker and Sweezy.
    5. of late, Fant played some Blocking TE. We essentially had 6 linemen for maximum potential.

Only Britt and Ifedi played the whole '17 season, Brown only half and mostly injured. We had Pocic and Joeckel as our guards last season. In short, 40% of our '18 OL are new ie guards, of the remaining 60%, Ifedi has improved and Brown's healthy. Personnel wise, we got lucky, Solari recommended Fluker, then somehow Sweezy became available ....... he was passed over by none other than Cable lol.

I did expect our OL to improve this season, but top of the league in pass blocking? this is Xmas in Octorber.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Hockey Guy wrote: after 2 weeks this change looked like a total, utter failure.

Fluker wasn't out there until Week 3.

Great point.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Seymour wrote:Good article, thank you. Cable was bad enough to really raise the eyebrow on how and why Pete got so hornswoggled and out of touch into signing and even worse, keeping him 7 years.

I'm just glad he found Solari and not some other bonehead that puts Wilson in a wheelchair. :2thumbs:

With Solari here since 2011....we have minimum of 2 if not 3 SB wins. That is how much damage Fable did here. :pukeface:

I think Marshawn hid just how ugly bad Cable was. They were never that great at pass blocking, but once Marshawn was out of the picture it went to total shyte. No running game and nothing but playground scrambles by Russ.
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:Now maybe some of the Brian Schotts bashers can now see how a GOOD Offensive Line Coach like Solari, can make an Offensive Coordinator's job a LOT easier to design plays that actually work.
    With Cable's Coached O-Line constantly flubbing up, is it any wonder that Darryl Bevell was having so many of his designed plays go awry?
    Truth is, Russell Wilson's outstanding play masked deficiencies....A LOT OF THEM, is it any wonder that he (Wilson) hasn't appeared to have taken the next step in his development.
    Thank the Football Gods for hiring of Solari :irishdrinkers:

The old OC was crappy period. There is a reason he still hasn’t found a job in the pros or college yet. ....and Cable was pure garbage as well. Both the former OC and O-line were the problem and were piss poor at their jobs IMHO!

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• toffee wrote:Coaching by Solari obviously contributed to our current success, but there are other factors too:

1. A healthy Brown.
    5. of late, Fant played some Blocking TE. We essentially had 6 linemen for maximum potential.

Only Britt and Ifedi played the whole '17 season, Brown only half and mostly injured. We had Pocic and Joeckel as our guards last season. In short, 40% of our '18 OL are new ie guards, of the remaining 60%, Ifedi has improved and Brown's healthy. Personnel wise, we got lucky, Solari recommended Fluker, then somehow Sweezy became available ....... he was passed over by none other than Cable lol.

I did expect our OL to improve this season, but top of the league in pass blocking? this is Xmas in Octorber.

Healthy or not Brown came in looking good and Cable consistently made him look worse even after the injury was able to be played on.

Browns mentoring may have helped him but it sure didn't help at all last year and it took another Benching for him to get his shit together this year.

Britt was already a Pro Bowl mention before last year. Ge regressed last year if anything.

Sweezy is playing LG for the first time and Flucker is playing RG, both in differentb positions then they had played in before.

Fant playing TE has no effect, Dissley was block and a receiver. He was a noce fall back option if anything, that and it is not the forst time we have used a lineman as a additional blocker.

Everything about thge O line is significantly better withot Cable and Bevell here. Trying to argue that things happened to click after they left is an empty argeuement, all you have to do is look at the previous years results and how everything they touched turned to a steaming pile of poo.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• bigskydoc wrote:I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I wouldn't have minded keeping Darrel the Devil Bevel for a year under Solari. It would have been interesting to see what he did with a half-competent line, and control of the running game.

I’m glad we didn’t do that. Would have been 15 bubble screens a game if the old OC thought the line and TE’s could block well. That and more 2nd and 3rd and 20 drawplays. Not a fan of the horizontal passing game, it rarely works on the NFL level.
    Just my opinion of course. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• toffee wrote:Coaching by Solari obviously contributed to our current success, but there are other factors too:

1. A healthy Brown.

Tell me why 3,4 & 5 aren't at least partially Solari's influence?
    TreeRon
    NET Starter

• Solari coaches to a players strengths.....Cable seemed to neuter players strengths ...and maybe the players just like Solari better..ya never know?
    xray
    NET Starter

• StoneCold wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Good article, thank you. Cable was bad enough to really raise the eyebrow on how and why Pete got so hornswoggled and out of touch into signing and even worse, keeping him 7 years.

I think Marshawn hid just how ugly bad Cable was. They were never that great at pass blocking, but once Marshawn was out of the picture it went to total shyte. No running game and nothing but playground scrambles by Russ.

Not totally true guys; Yes Marshawn Lynch helped to optimize Cables Blocking scheme to the max, (if I'm mistaken, please explain to me why Marshawn Lynch WASN'T "Beasting It Out" while playing for the Buffalo Bills
    In 2014, Cables Cut-blocking method came under the knife, by the NFL.
    In Lynch's first 3 seasons, Cable's Blocking System was golden, and in fact, WITH Cable's Blocking System, both Lynch & Wilson (with his over 600 rushing yards) were lethal.....To The Tune Of Going To Two Consecutive Super Bowls WHILE PLAYING UNDER CABLE & BEVELL.
    Cable was unable to make the necessary adjustments + letting Unger go, along with a couple others who did much better playing elsewhere proved that.
    "Marshawn was OUT Of The Picture" in ALL of 2015....and in that Year, Russell Wilson & Doug Baldwin LIT IT UP!...Certainly didn't look like "Total Shyte" to me.
    Solari has our Running Game shining pretty good now, Kind of amazing how much better RW seems to be playing with his new O-Line Coach & Coordinator, eh?
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• scutterhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:
    Seymour wrote:Good article, thank you. Cable was bad enough to really raise the eyebrow on how and why Pete got so hornswoggled and out of touch into signing and even worse, keeping him 7 years.

Not totally true guys; Yes Marshawn Lynch helped to optimize Cables Blocking scheme to the max, (if I'm mistaken, please explain to me why Marshawn Lynch WASN'T "Beasting It Out" while playing for the Buffalo Bills
    In Lynch's first 3 seasons, Cable's Blocking System was golden, and in fact, WITH Cable's Blocking System, both Lynch & Wilson (with his over 600 rushing yards) were lethal.....To The Tune Of Going To Two Consecutive Super Bowls WHILE PLAYING UNDER CABLE & BEVELL.
    Cable was unable to make the necessary adjustments + letting Unger go, along with a couple others who did much better playing elsewhere proved that.
    "Marshawn was OUT Of The Picture" in ALL of 2015....and in that Year, Russell Wilson & Doug Baldwin LIT IT UP!...Certainly didn't look like "Total Shyte" to me.
    Solari has our Running Game shining pretty good now, Kind of amazing how much better RW seems to be playing with his new O-Line Coach & Coordinator, eh?

Just imagine Lynch behind the line we have now in his prime.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

Lynch didn't have it so bad. He had a top 10 run blocking line a couple years, just polar opposite in pass blocking. Also Lynch was aided heavily by the Wilson threat to run and Russ's run production.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Some really good points made here, even so early in the season it is clear that Cable was not living up to his hype. It would drive me nuts when every year he would have his first news conference and talk about how good this new group was. I don't know why he even gave them, it was almost totally verbatim every single year.
    There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season.

- Darius Rucker
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• For the past few years, I always felt like our OL was on highway to hell. At the point, six games into 2018 season, finally I felt like we have find the stairway, looking at clear blue sky and beyond, climbing out of hell.

++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• Cable was obviously bad in his last few seasons with Seattle but I think the turn around has more to do with talent and health than coaching. Cable didn't have a healthy Britt or Brown for the majority of last season and he did not have Fluker or Sweezy. I'm not saying Solari's system isn't a large part of the turnaround, I'm just saying we can't place all of the blame on Cable when the only healthy starter from last year is Ifedi.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• It must be me.
    The team's trend line is definitely heading up. Lots of deserved optimism.
    I see so much negativity here. I must be a puss, eh?
    There is much more negative focus in this thread than than positive.
    Weird observation, I know.

For me, I see Solari as a great hire. I don't want to dwell on the neg, even though it looks like it is repaired.
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

• Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:

Lynch didn't have it so bad. He had a top 10 run blocking line a couple years, just polar opposite in pass blocking. Also Lynch was aided heavily by the Wilson threat to run and Russ's run production.

LOL yes he did he was hit in the backfield more then any other back and his yards after first contact were the best I think a couple years running. Cables rankings were based on a Elite back that refused to go down.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Not that the change to Solari isn't a primary factor, but I suspect narrowing down the play caller to one person (the OC) also helped. Breaking the offense call duties btwn the OL coach, the OC, and the head coach sounds like a mess.
    lobohawk
    NET Veteran

• 2nd best decision in years was getting rid of Cable. The first? Firing Bevell! :2thumbs:
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran

• All you have to do is look at Oaklands offensive line this year. Wonder if it will take Gruden as long to figure out Cable is a bum?
    edogg23
    NET Veteran

• Ol' Doug Farrar with a great analysis. For the newer members of this community, Doug was a resident content creator and poster for several years in previous incarnations of .NET.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    scutterhawk wrote:

LOL yes he did he was hit in the backfield more then any other back and his yards after first contact were the best I think a couple years running. Cables rankings were based on a Elite back that refused to go down.

Not to mention a read option system defenses hadn't figured out and an agile QB to run it. Lynch and Russell made up for a ton of issues on the OL from 2012-2014.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

• lobohawk wrote:Not that the change to Solari isn't a primary factor, but I suspect narrowing down the play caller to one person (the OC) also helped. Breaking the offense call duties btwn the OL coach, the OC, and the head coach sounds like a mess.

That's because it WAS a mess.
    Pete being a Defensive minded Coach, depended too much on One Man, to take over the duties of getting the Nasty Offensive Base (BLOCKING) up & running, and for the first few seasons, everything seemed to be going just fine, Marshawn Lynch was the perfect RB candidate to carry the ball under Cable's "Pound The Rock" system, as he was able to build up a head of steam before first contact and all was working good -UNTIL- the League started outlawing Cable's cut blocking scheme.
    One of the biggest PROBLEMS with Cable was, he was given too many hats to wear, hell, we even canned our RB coach a couple Years back, and added that job to Cable's plate....It became painfully obvious that he was in way over his head.
    Darryl Bevell was suppose to coordinate Tom Cable's dysfunctional O-Line with a crap Run game, & piss poor Pass Protection for Russell Wilson.....Yeah, right.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• bigskydoc wrote:I'm sure that I am in the minority, but I wouldn't have minded keeping Darrel the Devil Bevel for a year under Solari. It would have been interesting to see what he did with a half-competent line, and control of the running game.

Bevell needed to go after tossing Ricardo Lockette under the bus after SB49.
    Bevell drew up a crap play for the situation, the worst happens, and then Bevell blamed Lockette for Bevell's utter failure in scheme, horrible situational awareness of mismatches, and high-risk play call.

It was the blaming, not the result, and then Bevell not being punished or ever apologizing for blaming Lockette for Bevell's own failure. If Bevell didn't take responsibility for the utter fiasco, how can we ever believe he would learn from it.?
    2018 Adopt-A-Rookie: Rashaad Penny
    2018 BounceBack Bet: C.J. Prosise
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I’m sad we got rid of Solari the first time. Imagine what this team would have looked with Solari coaching the o-line during the whole Carroll regime?
    Spin Doctor
    NET Veteran

• Spin Doctor wrote:I’m sad we got rid of Solari the first time. Imagine what this team would have looked with Solari coaching the o-line during the whole Carroll regime?

Yea, I absolutely agree SD, Pete was enamored with the way Tom Cable imposed his will on teams using his shitty Cut-Blocking scheme, right up until the League put a stop to it...Somehow Pete thought Tommy was the Offensive YIN to his Defensive YANG.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• Shanegotyou11 wrote:https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/10/17/seahawks-offensive-line-turnaround-proves-the-value-of-actual-coaching/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yes, solid.
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

• I think unless you have a genius at OC. It’s good to have some turnover on offense from time to time.

The scheme was stale.
    HawkNuts
    NET Veteran

1. A healthy Brown.

Only Britt and Ifedi played the whole '17 season, Brown only half and mostly injured. We had Pocic and Joeckel as our guards last season. In short, 40% of our '18 OL are new ie guards, of the remaining 60%, Ifedi has improved and Brown's healthy. Personnel wise, we got lucky, Solari recommended Fluker, then somehow

Sweezy became available ....... he was passed over by none other than Cable lol.

Excellent point! :2thumbs:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information