Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

No Earl Thomas, no problem: Seahawks have top safety tandem

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13

• This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

And Tedric seeing so few passes come his way is, at least in part, an artifact of a gimpy and Tom Cable-coached Raiders O-line being unable to protect long enough to set up any deep routes.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

Is it?
    They gave up 42 with Earl and Maxwell (LOB members) late last season, so I'm not so sure about that.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• LOB lives on :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++ You can call me a homer, but I am not the only one ++
    toffee
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

And Tedric seeing so few passes come his way is, at least in part, an artifact of a gimpy and Tom Cable-coached Raiders O-line being unable to protect long enough to set up any deep routes.

The Rams were averaging 35+ a game before us, so it's no slight to Thompson and McDougald.

The more important thing for me is how damn physical the secondary is playing, we're getting back to bullying WR corps like the old days................to the tune of knocking four WR's out of the game in two weeks.

THAT'S what I like about how these guys are playing, stats aside.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Nothing negative to take away from this thread. That right there is something to hang your hat on.
    Bandwagon76
    NET Bench Warmer

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

The Rams were averaging 35+ a game before us, so it's no slight to Thompson and McDougald.

It isn't an endorsement, either. Giving up 33 points at home is not conducive to a...

Oh wait, never mind, we weren't expecting a playoff run, so it's ok for these guys to play the Brandon Browner deceptively-bad game. Cool.

Jury's still out on Tedric for me. I was sold on McDougald last year.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    MontanaHawk05 wrote:This is better than I expected, but they're not there yet. Giving up 33 points to the Rams at home is a problem.

It isn't an endorsement, either. Giving up 33 points at home is not conducive to a...

Oh wait, never mind, we weren't expecting a playoff run, so it's ok for these guys to play the Brandon Browner deceptively-bad game. Cool.

Are you going to blame the D-line as well? Cause you can't cover a WR corp like the Rams have for 5-6 seconds every snap because your D-line can't get pressure on Goff.

My point was the Rams have done that to every team they've played, the combo of Goff, their great O-line and arguably the best WR corp in the league is a tough match for any secondary.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

Since last season the Rams have been held under 20 points just 3 times.

Seattle held them to 16
    Minnesota held them to 7
    SF held them to 13 and destroyed them 34-13

Pretty much it.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    The more important thing for me is how damn physical the secondary is playing, we're getting back to bullying WR corps like the old days................to the tune of knocking four WR's out of the game in two weeks.

I've actually seen some chatter about this on other boards. There's this grudging admiration that while it seems like every other team is afraid to play defense now, Seattle just continues to hit like it's the old days. I mean even when they hit the QB, they weren't exactly micromanaging their body weight.
    Jac
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

Seriously... can't it be both?

Can't the two be good and struggled?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

• Progresses are seldom linear, there will be some struggle at times, but I am so looking forward to seeing our safeties and LOB v2 towards the later part of this season.

With our new ownership, Pete probably will not be back, so I am going to enjoy our defense as it last.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Jac wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:

I've actually seen some chatter about this on other boards. There's this grudging admiration that while it seems like every other team is afraid to play defense now, Seattle just continues to hit like it's the old days. I mean even when they hit the QB, they weren't exactly micromanaging their body weight.

Credit Pete and his coaches for how clinical and thorough they are with teaching proper tackling techniques.

I know people are saying McDougald's hit last week was illegal, but it's really the first time our aggressive and physical tackling has been called into question.

I'm not always enamored with how Pete runs his offense, but make no mistake he's one of the greatest defensive schemers and coaches of all time, especially at the DB position.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

• If Thomson and Flower keep their development, we could be really good.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• I like them so far
    World champs sb48

Aros wrote:

Wait, MizzouHawkGal is a DUDE??
    hawksincebirth
    NET Veteran

• I didn't know Eeyore's home state was Montana. Cool. Learn something new every day.

Loving our new young bucks! Keep at it! This team is trending upwards and I am loving it.

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

• Fire Pete, it's all on Russ, OL sucks, running backs don't matter, we lose every game without Earl, etc.

You'd think most people were from Missouri, but now you done seent it.
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.
    SpokaneHawks
    NET Starter

• SpokaneHawks wrote:It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

If one would to review ex-hawks defense stars, most were low round picks, castoffs, or un-drafted, these guys excelled with Hawks. Earl being an exception. Our current defense lineup? I saw a few low rounders, castoffs, and un-drafted.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• toffee wrote:
    SpokaneHawks wrote:It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

If one would to review ex-hawks defense stars, most were low round picks, castoffs, or un-drafted, these guys excelled with Hawks. Earl being an exception. Our current defense lineup? I saw a few low rounders, castoffs, and un-drafted.

Well, one of the reasons, remember, is that players like Sherm were "too big" to play corner. It was felt that players his size could not be agile enough to keep up with WRs in the league. Meanwhile WRs kept getting bigger and bigger when the average DB around the league hovered around 5'10"-6'0". Sherm and Browner were a bit of an anomaly for their time.

But the scheme helps them by encouraging them to be more physical, and play more press where they can bump the WR and disrupt their patterns. They play on the edge of being illegal when it comes to contact, but they have to. It works, though they get maybe more penalties than other secondaries.

Now, the rest of the league is catching up and everybody is looking for tall, long armed CBs. Players like Sherm are not necessarily dropping to the 5th round as often.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Out with the old &in with the new....that's pro sports and life too..IMO :irishdrinkers:
    xray
    NET Starter

• sutz wrote:
    toffee wrote:
    SpokaneHawks wrote:It's still early in the season but what these stats and the current product on the field show me is that our defense's success has more to do with the system than the players. It looks to me like our "system" creates stars not the other way around! It's too bad some of our stars didnt see it that way.

Well, one of the reasons, remember, is that players like Sherm were "too big" to play corner. It was felt that players his size could not be agile enough to keep up with WRs in the league. Meanwhile WRs kept getting bigger and bigger when the average DB around the league hovered around 5'10"-6'0". Sherm and Browner were a bit of an anomaly for their time.

But the scheme helps them by encouraging them to be more physical, and play more press where they can bump the WR and disrupt their patterns. They play on the edge of being illegal when it comes to contact, but they have to. It works, though they get maybe more penalties than other secondaries.

Now, the rest of the league is catching up and everybody is looking for tall, long armed CBs. Players like Sherm are not necessarily dropping to the 5th round as often.

I am liking our LOB V2, btw, bye bye Earl.

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Ok show me the team that has shut down the Rams since they started to roll.

Since last season the Rams have been held under 20 points just 3 times.

Seattle held them to 16
    Minnesota held them to 7
    SF held them to 13 and destroyed them 34-13

Pretty much it.

That last one is the game from last year when the Rams Sat EVERYDAMNBODY.
    9'ers couldn't dream that up on their healthiest day.
    Maybe in 2011. Maybe.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

• We have Tre and Tedric, both new and unproven. Wondering if the opposing OCs will test them?

toffee
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:

Is it?
    They gave up 42 with Earl and Maxwell (LOB members) late last season, so I'm not so sure about that.

This.

I wasn't excited by all the zone defense. The Hawks had a lot of mistakes in all three phases and coaching/clock management. Any one of which could have been the difference in 2 point loss to likely the best team in the league.

The difference between last year and this year is clear. This team is competitive. The Hawks were a joke last year and not entertaining.

The Hawks knew what they have in Tedric, that's why they were comfortable in waiting Earl out.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• Every game Tedric plays its seems Earl's price is going down. By the end of the season, ET3 might have to sell that Bentley to by some food for the family as people will recognize that most of the LOB's success was Pete's deft touch training and scheming DB's.

LOB Next Gen is in the house and I'm excited to see how they hold up to Stafford, Rivers and Rodgers in upcoming weeks.
    Mad Dog
    NET Starter

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information