Concerning our desire for more "Traditional Play" @ QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Interesting reading. The premise is excellent but Pete is no planner. His success at every level has relied on out personneling and out executing the base principles. While no Shotty is known for thinking outside the box conceptually there is history of meticulous game planning and strategizing. It’s a long shot but hopefully some one brings these ideas to his attention.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3eqyk31w said:
Hawk1217":3eqyk31w said:
Okay so I want to understand this, the HC who controls everything, and the OC who calls and designs everything, have no blame for the maturation of a QB they have had since he was a Rookie. Just checking because that is what you are saying. Hmmm Yeah sorry, that does not pass any test at all. FYI Wilson was a pocket passer during most of 2015 where he was great. Also once again he has one of the best QB ratings, complt% in the pocket. However, you can't expect him to stay in the pocket when he has one of the worse Oline in the league and a lot of long slow developing plays. Both are things the OC and HC do have a lot of control over. FYI playing to Wilson strengths is getting him to the line with a lot of time so he can make adjustments, you know 2015 remember that. What happened as soon as Lynch came back, they went right back to the same old thing that did not work. Wilson does not call the plays, create the plays, or provide the players for the plays that is the HC and OC and as such, they deserve and rightfully so blame.

I didn't say NO blame, I said to think Russell's issues are because of Pete or the combo of Pete and Bevell is false.

The past two years by default because of how terrible the line is and our running game Russell HAS thrown the ball all over the place, and that's resulted in missing the playoffs.

It's just not a good consistent way for this offense to operate, depending on Russell for 90% of the production. You can be any sort of offense you want in the NFL, but you can't be predictable.

btw, I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. We have a top 5 QB, a QB that 28 teams would kill for.........so to nitpick on Pete for hampering Russell's growth in some way because of how he runs the offense is about item #38 on my list of worries for the 2018 season.

Pete and Bevell are a contributing factor to these issues and for the issues in part on them. As to the reason we missed the playoff the last 2 years as you put it, (FYI we missed only 1 year ) is that Wilson is throwing the ball all over the place is false. There were a lot more reasons than that, no run game, a hurting defense, a really bad kicker, etc etc.

btw I agree I am not sure why we are arguing, I think we are saying the same thing, just in different ways LOL

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here for people to peruse if they are interested in reading it, or to pass over if their goal is to promote their opinions instead of having a discussion.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2014/12/seahawks-are-flying-not-necessarily-through-air

It's a 2015 analysis of some problems we had on offense specifically relating to Wilson's performance.

There are a couple of interesting items in there that I believe are extremely relevant to this conversation:

1: The OL was built for run blocking, not pass blocking. This is to do with Carroll's run-first mentality. The fact that Wilson had to carry the offense behind an ill-suited OL last year was more a function of the successive injuries to running backs, and the ineffectiveness of other running backs we expected more from. The former is bad luck; the latter is bad planning.

2: When Wilson throws quickly (under 2.5 seconds), his QB rating is 112 and his completion percentage is 73.9%. I think this negates the argument that Wilson can't see over the line, because if he is delivering the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, he's in the pocket. We need to take greater advantage of Wilson's effectiveness in this area.

3: Keep in mind that when this article was written, the Seahawks were 12-4 and rolling toward a Super Bowl repeat. This isn't a criticism of a team with its wheels falling off. This is a genuine look at an area that had some real question marks even when we were rolling as a team. As it turned out, the failures in the NFCCG and the Super Bowl largely came down to the passing game (4 INTs vs Green Bay, and ineffective passing vs New England until we inserted Chris Matthews and took advantage of his height, and then the obvious game-killing play.

4: I'll quote this directly from the article:
When something happens on an NFL football field, there usually isn't only one reason for it, and this is no different. The Seahawks passing game problems are the result of a combinations of things, like poor pass protection, questionable play at times from Russell Wilson, chemistry issues, and how the Seahawks are coached.

My takeaway from this is that Wilson is a phenomenal talent who needs a more balanced offensive line instead of one only built for run-blocking, but does still have room to grow as a QB both in his reads and in his confidence.

And this just in from the pages of DUH! magazine: There is enough blame to go around for everyone, so no one gets singled out as THE failure here.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I know people say as Wilson ages his elusiveness will decline because of speed. And I agree to some extent. But I think at worst he would become more Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben-esque in terms of escapability. I don't think that aspect of his game will ever disappear.

That said, what all 3 QBs have in common I guess is an injury history

Hawk1217

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":bsqct9xk said:
I'll just leave this here for people to peruse if they are interested in reading it, or to pass over if their goal is to promote their opinions instead of having a discussion.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2014/12/seahawks-are-flying-not-necessarily-through-air

It's a 2015 analysis of some problems we had on offense specifically relating to Wilson's performance.

There are a couple of interesting items in there that I believe are extremely relevant to this conversation:

1: The OL was built for run blocking, not pass blocking. This is to do with Carroll's run-first mentality. The fact that Wilson had to carry the offense behind an ill-suited OL last year was more a function of the successive injuries to running backs, and the ineffectiveness of other running backs we expected more from. The former is bad luck; the latter is bad planning.

2: When Wilson throws quickly (under 2.5 seconds), his QB rating is 112 and his completion percentage is 73.9%. I think this negates the argument that Wilson can't see over the line, because if he is delivering the ball in 2.5 seconds or less, he's in the pocket. We need to take greater advantage of Wilson's effectiveness in this area.

3: Keep in mind that when this article was written, the Seahawks were 12-4 and rolling toward a Super Bowl repeat. This isn't a criticism of a team with its wheels falling off. This is a genuine look at an area that had some real question marks even when we were rolling as a team. As it turned out, the failures in the NFCCG and the Super Bowl largely came down to the passing game (4 INTs vs Green Bay, and ineffective passing vs New England until we inserted Chris Matthews and took advantage of his height, and then the obvious game-killing play.

4: I'll quote this directly from the article:
When something happens on an NFL football field, there usually isn't only one reason for it, and this is no different. The Seahawks passing game problems are the result of a combinations of things, like poor pass protection, questionable play at times from Russell Wilson, chemistry issues, and how the Seahawks are coached.

My takeaway from this is that Wilson is a phenomenal talent who needs a more balanced offensive line instead of one only built for run-blocking, but does still have room to grow as a QB both in his reads and in his confidence.

And this just in from the pages of DUH! magazine: There is enough blame to go around for everyone, so no one gets singled out as THE failure here.

GREAT POST!!!!

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":25h6sler said:
I know people say as Wilson ages his elusiveness will decline because of speed. And I agree to some extent. But I think at worst he would become more Tony Romo, Aaron Rodgers, Big Ben-esque in terms of escapability. I don't think that aspect of his game will ever disappear.

That said, what all 3 QBs have in common I guess is an injury history
Wouldn't say that, one injury could completely change Wilson's dynamic as a scrambler. One injury could be the difference between best scrambler in the NFL and "just another guy" in this area. Wilson relies on being able to reach full speed very quickly, and being able to start and stop on a dime. If he was a running back he would be Barry Sanders. The speed at which he can reach full speed, and stop at the drop of a hate is rare athletic talent. Despite clocking in only at 4.5 he has a deceptively quick second gear that he can turn on instantly. Even DB's can struggle to keep up with him when he turns that second gear up. Any kind of injuries to the knee could really affect his ability to do Russell like things.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":nyv5wkun said:
He already had a knee injury and he didn't seem much slower this year

exactly and 1 shoulder injury and any QB could not be able to throw. The fact is we have seen him produce and thrive as a pocket passer, we have seen him on the move, he can do both and do both well, so this insane narrative that if he loses his mobility he is through is insane. He is doing what he has to help us win. IF the time comes again (alla 2015) were he can do it mostly form the pocket he will. But that depends on the offense run and the oline. Also since we are playing the what if game, what if he does lose some mobility but in doing so starts manipulating the pocket like Brady then what? The answer once again he is good to go. The what if game, is great but you need to realize what if can go both ways. Also, Tarkenton was able to scramble till his late 30s no reason Wilson cant too.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
adeltaY":2bnh457y said:
His knee injury was pretty benign, it was an MCL sprain. Players can play on that injury, or are out for a max of two weeks. It isn't a game breaker as far as injuries are concerned. Now, knee ligament tears, Achilles tears, and certain ankle injuries are a different story.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawk1217":2xa89j4t said:
adeltaY":2xa89j4t said:

exactly and 1 shoulder injury and any QB could not be able to throw. The fact is we have seen him produce and thrive as a pocket passer, we have seen him on the move, he can do both and do both well, so this insane narrative that if he loses his mobility he is through is insane. He is doing what he has to help us win. IF the time comes again (alla 2015) were he can do it mostly form the pocket he will. But that depends on the offense run and the oline. Also since we are playing the what if game, what if he does lose some mobility but in doing so starts manipulating the pocket like Brady then what? The answer once again he is good to go. The what if game, is great but you need to realize what if can go both ways. Also, Tarkenton was able to scramble till his late 30s no reason Wilson cant too.
Russell Wilson would not be great as a pocket passer if he lost his mobility. He is lacking in several key areas that most traditional QB's have long since developed. His footwork is very poor in the pocket, and he has always had a case of happy feet. He doesn't know how to set up blockers or move around in the pocket properly. He can get around this because of his elite agility, and elusiveness. If he can't use those abilities due to injury I think he becomes a mediocre QB.

The reason why I'm mentioning knee, and leg injuries, etc even among QBs are far more common, and prevalent than shoulder injuries. Even with shoulder injuries QB's can still be effective, albeit with less arm strength and drive than before. I don't think Russell Wilson is a very good QB at this point with hits to his mobility. He can accomplish the same things as traditional QBs right now, but the way he does it is completely different. Picking up pocket manipulation, and all of the tricks of the trade that guys like Brady spent years developing, seemingly overnight is unlikely.

Wilson is a great QB, but he is at the age where he needs to start thinking about changing his style up a bit.

adeltaY

Reaction score
A couple things. Yes, Wilson without his mobility will suffer, but it is possible for him to develop better pocket movement over time. I don't think it'll be overnight, but I think he can have it down at a proficient level by the time he starts his next contract in 2020. The other issue is that it's hard to develop good pocket presence when your pass protection sucks and you are the most pressured QB within two seconds in the NFL since 2012. Think about it - our pass protection was never great, but it was decent in 2012 and has gotten worse ever since then. We didn't re-sign or replace Okung until the DB trade, we never had a good pass protecting RT, it took a year to get an adequate replacement for Unger at center, and our guards have straight up sucked in pass protection.

We can live with the negative plays from Wilson scrambling to look for the bigger play - Packers notice that Rodgers does this as well and it leads to unnecessary sacks, though in both cases the gains outweigh the losses. The real problem arises when the QB is running into sacks AND the line is giving up quick pressures, especially from the interior. Throw in an inability to run the ball with RBs and the offense becomes dysfunctional.

Potential solutions:
1. Block effectively (no detriments)
2. Insist QB changes his playstyle (can miss out on big plays)
3. Design an offense to mask your line's and QBs weaknesses and maximize their strenghts

#1 is the dream, #2 has downsides, so I like #3. To those who say updating the offense is "gimmicky" or "copy-cat" please watch this video: [youtube]LUGp69L1ryc[/youtube]

It's fascinating stuff and it 100% makes sense why these concepts are gaining traction in the league. It's all about stressing the defense and giving your QB easy reads. We need to incorporate that into our offense to a further degree. I think my favorite part was when Xavier Rhodes was mic'd up and saying "they schemin' the f*** out of us". It goes to show that even when facing the #1 scoring D with Nick Foles at the helm, you can find ways to take advantage.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
So for all these concerns about what he "can't" do I still see no concrete evidence he can't or has not. Point in case cant operate from the pocket, and yet when there is a pocket for any duration (meaning games He has ala 2015. Here is an idea why not wait till we know for a fact he can't instead of just making it up or assuming. So far I have not one thing people have said he can't do that he has nos show he can do. I mean need I also remind you in 2016 were he played injured most of the year and could not run and he had over 4k yards, completed over 64% of his passes, over 20 tds etc etc. So like I said people can say what he can't do, but so far there is no proof or fact to support those things listed in this thread.

adeltaY

Reaction score
You can see on film he has some counterproductive tendencies in under pressure pocket that other top QBs don't, but he more than makes up for it with big plays off scrambling. He's still a great pocket passer so it doesn't matter that much IMO, but saying he doesn't have weaknesses is too much. Even Rodgers has weaknesses, like holding the ball too long to look for the big play instead of the safe play at times and I don't think any Packers fan cares that much, though they will bring it up at times. If those weaknesses were that bad, Rodgers and Wilson wouldn't be elite tier QBs, but they are. There just isn't a perfect QB, so even the top guys can have weaknesses. It's not like Brady and Brees are running around outside the pocket when a play breaks down like Wilson and Rodgers, though they are better pocket passers than both.

I actually like the watching the way Wilson plays more than the other elite QBs. Don't get me wrong, I like watching Tom slice up defenses from the pocket and Rodgers is also sensational out of the pocket, but no one has the Russ magic and it's my favorite.

Also his 2016 season was marred by the fact that because he had knee injuries he couldn't plant as well and his throwing mechanics and arm strength suffered so that season wasn't a good one to evaluate him.

Fade

Reaction score
Russ probably won't be a 600-800 yd rusher in his 30's, he will still be mobile, and slippery as hell in the pocket though. I watched an old ass Doug Flutie play amazing for the Bills and lead them to the playoffs. Flutie rushed for 476 yds at age 37 in 1999.

Russ is a bigger, faster, better version of Flutie. Russell Wilson is actually more like Steve Young, with wicked Fran Tarkenton elusiveness.

Concern trolls, or casuals who haven't been watching football very long think mobile QBs begin to suck, or slow down when they hit 30. That is simply not the case. Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Mike Vick, etc.

Most of these QBs, if not all of them got better after they turned 30. The best years of RW still lay ahead of him, he is entering his prime. Now get him a running game, and rebuild the defense, so the Hawks can start winning some Super Bowls.

Concern Trolling should actually be the title of the thread.

2Fmediagiphycom2Fmedia2F11FAgyUZdrLM9W2Fgiphy

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fade":3i1h1x8b said:
Russ probably won't be a 600-800 yd rusher in his 30's, he will still be mobile, and slippery as hell in the pocket though. I watched an old ass Doug Flutie play amazing for the Bills and lead them to the playoffs. Flutie rushed for 476 yds at age 37 in 1999.

Russ is a bigger, faster, better version of Flutie. Russell Wilson is actually more like Steve Young, with wicked Fran Tarkenton elusiveness.

Concern trolls, or casuals who haven't been watching football very long think mobile QBs begin to suck, or slow down when they hit 30. That is simply not the case. Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Mike Vick, etc.

Most of these QBs, if not all of them got better after they turned 30. The best years of RW still lay ahead of him, he is entering his prime.
Now get him a running game, and rebuild the defense, so the Hawks can start winning some Super Bowls.

Exactly so he doesn't try to do it all because that is not what we need.

Hawk1217

Reaction score
adeltaY":uz307r7b said:
You can see on film he has some counterproductive tendencies in under pressure pocket that other top QBs don't, but he more than makes up for it with big plays off scrambling. He's still a great pocket passer so it doesn't matter that much IMO, but saying he doesn't have weaknesses is too much. Even Rodgers has weaknesses, like holding the ball too long to look for the big play instead of the safe play at times and I don't think any Packers fan cares that much, though they will bring it up at times. If those weaknesses were that bad, Rodgers and Wilson wouldn't be elite tier QBs, but they are. There just isn't a perfect QB, so even the top guys can have weaknesses. It's not like Brady and Brees are running around outside the pocket when a play breaks down like Wilson and Rodgers, though they are better pocket passers than both.

I actually like the watching the way Wilson plays more than the other elite QBs. Don't get me wrong, I like watching Tom slice up defenses from the pocket and Rodgers is also sensational out of the pocket, but no one has the Russ magic and it's my favorite.

Also his 2016 season was marred by the fact that because he had knee injuries he couldn't plant as well and his throwing mechanics and arm strength suffered so that season wasn't a good one to evaluate him.

I agree and have said in many threads that Wilson like all players and QB including Brady and Rodgers has weaknesses. I just think some here make a much bigger deal out of them then the weakness itself.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":1sao1y27 said:

Most of these QBs, if not all of them got better after they turned 30. The best years of RW still lay ahead of him, he is entering his prime. Now get him a running game, and rebuild the defense, so the Hawks can start winning some Super Bowls.

Russ plays nothing like Steve Young did, he is more Tarkenton. One thing to keep in mind about Tarkenton is that he played in a completely different era. The athletes were also much different. Today they're bigger, faster, and stronger than in Tarkenton's time. He also adapted as he got older. Tarkenton was most consistent from a statistic point of view from ages 23-30. In his older years he was injured more, and he had many years where he threw more INTs than TDs, which is something he didn't do once from ages 23-30. He had his best season when he was older, but there was some crap in between that.

Young spend most of his 20s on a bench, or in relief duty. He was considered a bust, and went on to back up Montana. He hadn't started a whole season outside of Tampa until he hit 30. His legs were fresh -- he also learned to play QB from Walsh, and Montana. Young was a traditional QB that happened to be able to run. His athleticism was more of a garnish. Young was more in the Aaron Rodgers mold of QB. A guy that can play the traditional role, but was able to let loose once in awhile.

Cunningham completely changed how he played when he got older. Once again Cunningham had his best stretch of seasons in his younger years. He had his best season when he was older, but he was also playing with Randy Moss. We must also note that his playing style in that season was more in line with the traditional pocket QB. He had lost a lot of his mobility and was forced to change. Just look at his rushing stats compared to his younger years once he got older.

Vick was the only one I can really think of from this list that kept his same style when he got older, and was still effective. He also spent a few years in prison, and was away from the game -- plus he spent one year on Philly's bench.

Flutie only had two good seasons, and spent a good portion of his 20s being out of the NFL or on benches. Wear and tear matters.

Each of these players had to adapt, and evolve. Most of them had a few years of struggling before they were successful again as Quarterbacks. Each of these guys went through an evolution of sorts. Wilson is approaching the time where he will need to undergo that evolution. Wilson succeeds because of a mix of savvy and elite athleticism. He is a smart QB, and he knows what his job is, he just goes about it in an extremely unorthodox manner. He knows how to go through his progressions, and he has demonstrated he can work the LOS like any other QB.

The thing that should be worrying you as he ages is his lack of development as a pocket passer. He can pocket pass, he just does it in the weirdest way I've ever seen. He breaks all rules here, again he can get away with it due to his elite athleticism. He has happy feet, he doesn't step up into the pocket, he doesn't really have an internal clock that tells him he needs to throw the ball, he doesn't know how to manipulate the pocket, and his footwork is horrid when he actually climbs the pocket. He retreats back instead of going forward making his offensive linemans job very hard.

He is the most flawed elite QB as far as passing fundamentals that I have ever seen. The angles he can pass from, the jumbled up footwork, and the baseball release. Despite all of this he is a top 2-3 QB. The problem with all of this is I don't think he can make this style work without elite athleticism and agility. This will become a problem as he ages. Even the greatest of athletic QB's have had to rework their style. The problem is I see little interest from Pete in developing his line, or nurturing Russell Wilson's growth as a passer. Here we are in year 6 of Wilson's career, and Pete is still using the training wheels, and sticking to ridiculous dogmas on the offense that died in Tarkenon's era.

(just an FYI personal attacks, and calling people a trolls because they don't adhere to you view on things is no way to get your argument across)

adeltaY

Reaction score
Quick example of a play. I don't have a way to share the actual vid, but I will describe it. Week 3 @ Titans, 13:04 in the 1st. 3rd and 10 on the SEA 20. Wilson is in the shotgun, standing at the SEA 15. He receives the snap and takes a five step drop so that his back foot plants on the SEA 10. Right as he finishes his drop, the guy Ifedi is supposed to block is next to him and he has to dodge and somehow and gets off a pass to Prosise who is stopped two yards short of the line to gain. Aboushi gets called for a hold and Ifedi for holding and unnecessary roughness.

It's weird because as unavoidable as the pressure seems the way I described it, after watching the play more closely he could've stepped up because there was a lot of space in front of him in the pocket. Baldwin beat his guy with a slick, subtle double move in just under 3 seconds after the snap too so one more second and that could've been a big play. Aboushi held regardless so it wouldn't have mattered, even if Ifedi blocked cleanly.

It's really a game of inches and there's so many intricacies! Do we expect the QB to anticipate the pressure off the right side because he can see it during his drop? You can see Wilson's head turn to the right, likely as he was surveying the field to that side. Gonna continue to chart pass plays in this game during my free time to see what I can find.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk1217":bmwdqgak said:
So for all these concerns about what he "can't" do I still see no concrete evidence he can't or has not.

Then you aren't paying attention. Every time he bails from a decent pocket, and it happens a handful of times every game, belongs in the category being describing. He CAN operate from the pocket. He just doesn't like to, and it shows.

This hasn't been fatal to his game yet, because for every time he runs out of the pocket and beyond the protection of his offensive tackles, he makes up for it on the next play with some 40-yard long bomb to Doug Baldwin.

The question is what will happen once those unnecessary bailouts start getting caught from behind more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.