Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Frank Clark Deserves a Real PayDay

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Mon May 21, 2018 3:28 pm
  • I just read an article, with the editor questioning if we should give Frank Clark, a meaningful contract and pay day? Well I say "HELL YES". I felt like asking the guy writing the story, if his IQ was at least equal to his shoe size, as an initial response to such a ridiculous question.
    Frank Clark has done nothing but kick asses and take names, since his first day on the field as a Seahawk. He is without a doubt one of the greatest assets we have on our defense, and his work off the line makes it easier for some of our other star power players to get their pound of Quarter Back flesh, game after game, and rack up the stats that they do.
    I wish we could assemble a whole line of Frank Clark, caliber players, and that is not to say that we do not already have some phenom linemen, only to compliment Frank for all of his contributions to our Defense. He truly defines "The BOOM", in the Legion of Boom, as well as the BROTHER.
    If your going to spend some $$$$ to keep some of our better players around, Frank's name is right at the top of my list of players who need and deserve to get paid.

Go Seahawks!
    The 12th man, is the true heart and soul of the Seahawks. As goes the 12th man, so go the Seahawks. Change is Inevitable. Seahawk 12th Man for Life.
    pacific101
    NET Starter

Re: Frank Clark Deserves a Real PayDay
Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm
  • Yup, we should lock him up sometime this summer IMO.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 5:48 pm
  • we are light on pass rushers, so I agree. Not sure how much he's worth. he's good, not great. Effort guy but not a physical freak or amazing talent.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 5:53 pm
  • A nice above average contract with some incentive to make even better money if he achieves 12+ sacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    AKNFidel
    NET Practice Squad

Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm
  • He is boom or bust right now. I'm not asking for 16 sacks or something like that, just consistent pressure. He was missing in more than a few times last season.
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 pm
  • While Pierre-Paul’s overall production dwarfs Clark, Vernon may be a more reasonable comparison. He recorded 127 combined tackles and 21.5 sacks during his first three seasons with the Dolphins. The 6-foot-2, 268-pound defensive end didn’t necessarily have a breakout season during his last year with Miami, but his 7.5 sacks were enough to coax the Giants into signing him to a five-year, $85 million contract.

Breaking their respective contracts down further, both Pierre-Paul and Vernon struck deals to earn at least $15 million annually. Each player also agreed to terms to receive over $29 million in guaranteed money.

On the flip side, Green Bay re-signed defensive end Nick Perry to a five-year, $60 million contract worth $12 million annually in March 2017. During his first five NFL seasons, Perry had only 23.5 sacks and didn’t become a full-time starter until his fifth season with the Packers. Clark has already far surpassed his production after only three years in the league.

Looking at these recent case studies, Schneider and the Seahawks should expedite the negotiation process and offer Clark a four or five-year deal worth at least $13-14 million per year prior to training camp.

https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2018/ ... ank-clark/
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm
  • sdog1981 wrote:He is boom or bust right now. I'm not asking for 16 sacks or something like that, just consistent pressure. He was missing in more than a few times last season.

Boom or bust? He's 24 years old and had 9/10 sacks the past two seasons of his 3 year career... He's putting up those numbers with a few years until he's in his prime...
    bigcc
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 pm
  • He is also a rotation player since that's how we typically work on line, most our guys rotate in and out unless we have a rash of sudden injuries.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon May 21, 2018 7:54 pm
  • I am hesitant as well. He is good not great. Not dominant, but an effort guy.

If he demands big money than no way. He is not close to top lineman money.

Having Bennett and Avril next to him certainly helped free him up more. But they are gone now so the Hawks need him even more. tough call imo.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 pm
  • Isn't Clark actually a physical freak though? It's been a while but I remember him being very explosive at the combine. Also many top tier guys don't get consistent pressure every game. Von and Khalil have had more than a few games where they were blanked or schemed out of making an impact.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Isn't Clark actually a physical freak though? It's been a while but I remember him being very explosive at the combine. Also many top tier guys don't get consistent pressure every game. Von and Khalil have had more than a few games where they were blanked or schemed out of making an impact.

scheming around somebody is already a huge impact. Those two will also have constant pressure if not always getting a sack and must be accounted for.

I don't care about combine at all. It's how they play
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon May 21, 2018 11:06 pm

Tue May 22, 2018 4:18 am
  • Can we see him playing first without Avril and Bennett around?
    poly1274
    NET Rookie

Tue May 22, 2018 6:12 am
  • He's a beast, regardless who is around him. And he will continue to be.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 am
  • Be careful what you ask for Frank!!

Seriously though. Yes, he does....just how much will be the key here though. Seems 10-12ish per year is about right of the top of my head.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am
  • Roughly figuring....that is about $20 per year per ticket holder for each additional $1 million that you want him to get. And you thought that ticket prices were already too high?
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 9:45 am
  • poly1274 wrote:Can we see him playing first without Avril and Bennett around?

Kinda my fear as well.................if the line without Bennett and Avril stinks, you can be guaranteed teams are going to double team Clark.

But this doesn't mean we shouldn't work hard to get Clark's contract extended. He is the type of player that you want to build around.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 22, 2018 11:48 am
  • Chukarhawk wrote:we are light on pass rushers, so I agree. Not sure how much he's worth. he's good, not great. Effort guy but not a physical freak or amazing talent.

What to you mean by injecting some reality on the OP hyperbole parade? :stirthepot:
    HawkerD
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 1:48 pm
  • Seymour wrote:Be careful what you ask for Frank!!

Seriously though. Yes, he does....just how much will be the key here though. Seems 10-12ish per year is about right of the top of my head.

I don't think 10-12 is right(Too High)
    I want to see what he does this year to even think of pouring money out
    on him.
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 2:22 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Isn't Clark actually a physical freak though? It's been a while but I remember him being very explosive at the combine. Also many top tier guys don't get consistent pressure every game. Von and Khalil have had more than a few games where they were blanked or schemed out of making an impact.

scheming around somebody is already a huge impact. Those two will also have constant pressure if not always getting a sack and must be accounted for.

I don't care about combine at all. It's how they play

The combine point was in response to people saying he's an effort guy and not very athletic. That's simply not true. He's an incredibly explosive athlete. Look at the strip sack he got on Andrew Whitworth in the first Rams game, it was fantastic.

Also you're not right on those two getting constant pressure every single game. Lane Johnson absolutely handled Khalil Mack when they played the Raiders this year, Bryan Bulaga did the same in 2015, Mitchell Scwartz held Von Miller to 1 pressure in 2015, Marcus Cannon came back in 2016 after getting rekt in 2015 and shut Von down, Marcus Gilbert does well against him too. Those are just off the top of my head. There are guys who can single block the top tier edge rushers and sometimes those rushers don't have good games for whatever reason. Also, many people here are worried Frank will get double-teamed now that Cliff and Mike are gone... isn't that scheming around him?
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 3:05 pm
  • There is some comers around Frank this year, I liked some of what I saw from a few of our young guys, I expect a much different rotation this year.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue May 22, 2018 3:51 pm
  • The question and timing of the question of whether to extend Frank Clark reminds me of the Bruce Irvin decision point a couple years ago.

Exceptional athlete. Role player that fits into a rotation to create advantageous match ups. Note worthy individual score card in areas he cares about. Question as to whether he see the big picture. He did play 67% of the defensive snaps last year which is encouraging. At this point in time, Frank does seem to be further along than where Bruce was. But, can he set the example they are looking for and can he become "that" leader? And, at what price?

For me it is reminiscent of the considerations they had with Bruce Irvin a couple of years. Once again I'm on the fence with that question. I just don't know as much as those who work with Frank at the VMAC. What I do know is that gap discipline and penalty avoidance are going to be points of emphasis.
    Last edited by Jville on Tue May 22, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 22, 2018 4:15 pm
  • Those that want to wait and see what he can do without Bennett and Avril here, if he has a strong year, his price is going to go up. If he has a break out year, his price is going to go up a lot.

Bennett and Avril being gone could actually be beneficial to him in terms of production BTW (sacks, pressures, etc.).
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 pm
  • I've seen some assessments and projections but no hard numbers on Frank's current and projected market value. Hard numbers only materialize thru negotiation. And, as much progress as he seemed to make in 2017, maybe he will chose to hold off on an extension, bet on himself, go get that All Pro recognition, and crush the bank. That could turn out to be the win win outcome for 2018. We just don't know until events present themselves.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Tue May 22, 2018 7:26 pm
  • adeltaY wrote:Isn't Clark actually a physical freak though? It's been a while but I remember him being very explosive at the combine. Also many top tier guys don't get consistent pressure every game. Von and Khalil have had more than a few games where they were blanked or schemed out of making an impact.

He ran a 4.64 forty at 270 pounds, had a 39.11” vertical and a 9’10” broad jump. His 20-yard shuttle took only 4.05 seconds, the best of any d-lineman at the combine that year (and better than many cornerbacks).
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 pm
  • sc85sis wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:Isn't Clark actually a physical freak though? It's been a while but I remember him being very explosive at the combine. Also many top tier guys don't get consistent pressure every game. Von and Khalil have had more than a few games where they were blanked or schemed out of making an impact.

He ran a 4.64 forty at 270 pounds, had a 39.11” vertical and a 9’10” broad jump. His 20-yard shuttle took only 4.05 seconds, the best of any d-lineman at the combine that year (and better than many cornerbacks).

40 at combine was 4.79 40. Pro day at 4.64 is more than a little dubious
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Wed May 23, 2018 5:24 pm
  • Yeah but 40 speed isn't that important for DE. Being an explosive athlete is, so 10 yard split is more relevant (Frank's was 1.58) . His shuttle time was fantastic.

Look, I'm not saying he's going to be an elite pass rusher because he tested well, I'm just saying that he's not an "effort guy" who lacks athleticism. He's clearly an elite athlete and it has shown up on tape. He needs to tap into that more consistently to reach the next level.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seattles-f ... -explosion
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:00 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information