You're the GM!!!!!!

OP
OP
K

kf3339

Reaction score
So decided to redo some of my GM plan post combine.

Phase 1:

Player Cuts:

Cliff Avril - Saves $7M on cap space
Jeremy Lane - Saves $5M on cap space
John Ryan - Saves $2M on cap space

I chose these three as we need to get younger on defense and Ryan has faded in his play and not worth $3M this next season. I think we can get better with younger players at these positions primarily in the draft. This gives us an extra $14M in cap space bring us to about $28M.

Player Restructurings:

Duane Brown - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $4M this year. Saves us about $3M in cap space this year.

Richard Sherman - 3 year extension for $30M with a $10M signing bonus spread over 4 years. Base salary of $3.5M this year. Saves us about $7M in cap space this year. I think he does this deal as it gives him the ability to make the same money this year, and help the team cap space situation. It's also a way to keep one of the three LOB to help teach and lead the younger guys. He grated on Richard the last few years, but won't happen with our new DC.

This gives us another $10M and brings our cap space up to about $38M.

Phase 2:

Our FA re-signings:

Sheldon Richardson - We need him in the middle, and I hope he wants to stay here. We won't franchise him, but I think 4 years at $50M with a $12M signing bonus and first year salary of $4M gets it done. I don't want to go back to seeing no pressure up the middle again with our defense. SR solves this problem.

Bradley McDougal - 3 year contract $10M total with $2M signing bonus and 1st year base of $1M
Dion Jordan - 2 year contract for $10M at $2.5M first year and team option for $7.5M second year
Marcus Smith - 1 year contract $1m base salary
Luke Willson- 2 year contract $1M signing bonus with first year salary at $500K
DeShawn Shead - 1year contract at $1m, with no signing bonus

This is doable for our team and keeps us with a good nucleus to restructure..... Not Rebuild.

We still have about $22M in cap space after these Re-signings.

Free Agent Targets:

Justin Pugh OG - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $2M first year salary.
Austin Steferian-Jenkins TE - 4 year contract, $6M signing bonus and $3M first year salary
Donte Moncrief WR - 3 year contract, $3M signing bonus and $2M first year salary

Not going to lie. These names have shown up on the board and I just like the idea. My plan would be to add veteran players on offense who can help RW now. These three guys would do that and greatly assist in our restructured run game. Pugh gets plugged in at LG and the left side of our O-line now looks pretty good! Jenkins and Moncrief will be a major plus in the run game and still do well in our passing attack. These FA targets stayed the same.

We now have about $11M in cap space room, if my math is correct.

Player trades:

The draft is going to hinge on several things happening via trade. This is where I think we get extra picks.

Michael Bennett trade - I would trade Bennett for a late 3rd or high 4th round pick in this years draft. This is partly about his age and I think he may be starting to grate on the team leadership. Someone will want him for a few more years.

Earl Thomas Trade - This is where we really get some good draft capital, but not what we completely want. I see us getting a high 2nd and high 3rd round picks for him. What he wants for a 3rd contract just is not in our plans, and we need to draft young players who have a major chip on their shoulders and true hunger to succeed. Earl still has it, but for how long? A shame but he is a casualty.

These two trades bring us about $10M in additional cap space for this year, and bring us to about $21M at this point.

I have left some extra cap room for some post draft and June 1st casualties that could help us. This namely is for a veteran RT, Edge rusher and possibly a quality RB who still has some gas left for a year or two. We also have plenty left to sign our draft picks.

Phase 3:

Draft Day:

At this point we have the following picks:

1st, high 2nd (Thomas), high 3rd (Thomas), low 3rd (Bennett), 4th, 5th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th, 7th at this point post trades. I also move down in the 1st to pick up a later 3rd and hopefully a 6th as well. So now we have the following With best draft player available with potential position pick:

Round 1 - RB
Round 2 - OG
Round 3 - Edge
Round 3 - SS
Round 3 -WR
Round 4 - LB
Round 5 - DT
Round 5 -OT
Round 5 -CB
Round 6 - P
Round 7 - K
Round 7 - OT/OG
Round 7 - LB

This gives us 13 picks, with 5 in the first three rounds. The combine showed several things to me. First, the best RB and edge rushers aren't going to be around at 18, so may as well trade down. Second, there are some really good potential prospects in day 2 that will be available to us if we trade into this day. My plan above gives us this ability, without burying us in Cap Hell for future years.

I am now going to look more closely at specific players and positions for draft day, so will add in the names in the next few weeks, or certainly before the draft.

My goal still is the same as my first post in this thread. Get younger on Defense and bring in proven vets for the offensive line and TE/WR who can run block and catch. That is the goal.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Let Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright go. Love them but we need the cap space.
Give Sherman and Chancellor one more year and ask them to groom new leadership (yeah, sure).
Dump Blair Walsh.
Waive the entire O-line except for Brown, Pocic and Britt.
Keep Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson.
Sign Paul Richardson and Tyler Lockett to long-term deals.
Instruct John Schneider to stop treating draft day like it's his personal day trader portfolio.
Use the 1st round pick to draft the most NFL ready O-lineman available.
Throw Eddy Lacy out of a moving train. Naked.
That'll do it.

original poster

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1ybrkviy said:
Let Cliff Avril and K.J. Wright go. Love them but we need the cap space.
Give Sherman and Chancellor one more year and ask them to groom new leadership (yeah, sure).
Dump Blair Walsh.
Waive the entire O-line except for Brown, Pocic and Britt.
Keep Jimmy Graham and Luke Willson.
Sign Paul Richardson and Tyler Lockett to long-term deals.
Instruct John Schneider to stop treating draft day like it's his personal day trader portfolio.
Use the 1st round pick to draft the most NFL ready O-lineman available.
Throw Eddy Lacy out of a moving train. Naked.
That'll do it.

Whose going to tell him? :shock:

QuahHawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":2iqduc68 said:
original poster":2iqduc68 said:
The comp pick formula is fixed to be fair, although the league doesn’t share the formula, teams can accurately figure it out.

It takes all sorts of things into consideration, mainly contract value but also things like snap counts etc.
Ya, I know loosely what the formula consists of. But, if snap count has a factor, it blows my mind you can trade future comp picks before a player has even hit the field with his new team.

I don't think the wording say future comp pick. but If might Say "Seattle's lowest 3rd round pick in 2019" or a Seattle's lowest pick within the 80-100 pick range

QuahHawk

Reaction score
So many well thought out plans. After recent news i'm going with this

Cut: Sherman, Lane, Ryan, Prosise,
Restructure: D Brown, KJ, Earl (if no trade for >2nd), Frank Clark
?: Avril (could cut or resturcture)
Trade: Earl
Resign: S Richardson (<$10M), P Richardson (<$3m), Maxwell, Jordan, Smith, McDougal, Willson
Let walk: S Richardson(>$10M), P Richardson (>$3m), Jimmy, Jockel, Lacey

Im rally torn about both Sheldon Richardson and Paul Richardson. Is Sheldon really worth over $10M? Is he a great team and scheme fit? I think we might be able to get by adding another young DT early and grabbing a #3 Veteran DT to rotate on 1 year deal.

Paul Richardson has the injury bug but he played really well last year and he played though that nasty broken finger to prove his toughness. I think he should be kept around on a Kearse type deal not Golden Tate $.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
We should add a #2 or #3 WR in FA if we lose richardson
Add a #2 RB if we don't keep Mike Davis
Blocking TE or maybe ASJ to replace Graham
Oh and I'd address the OL by bringing in one Vet in the $5-10Mil range and spending one of our top 4 picks on a OL.

#1 Draft need = RB
we could get a starting back in the 2nd-3rd.

chris98251

Reaction score
If I am the GM/ President of Football Operations and Head Coach or Pete.

I do what I do best with John and evaluate talent and get our defense back on track.

I also look in the mirror and tell myself, you coach the defense and not the offense, get the players that our coaches need and step back and let them work, simply say we need a balanced attack of run and pass and get out of the way.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
original poster":2lhi2a3c said:
Nobody else want to join in?

Great stuff to read, but I've not remotely got enough expertise to post about any of this. I so much admire and appreciate all of you who DO, though, and I have learned so much on this site, in many threads.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Cut: Sherman +$11M in 2018 cap space
Cut: Avril +$7.125M in 2018 cap space
Cut: Lane +$4.75M in 2018 cap space
Cut: Britt +$2.417M in 2018 cap space
Cut: Ryan +$2M in cap 2018 space
Cut: Thorpe +$1.85M in 2018 cap space

Restructure: Wagner +4.605M in 2018 cap space

Available cap for 2018: $43,884,267

Trade: Thomas, 2018 pick #18 to Dallas for Zach Martin, 2018 pick #50 (-$841K in cap space)
Trade: Bennett, 2018 pick #250 to Philadelphia for Marcus Johnson, 2018 pick #156

UFA Signed / Years / 2018 Cap Hit
Sheldon Richardson / 5 / $11M
Andrew Norwell / 5 / $11M
Austin Seferian-Jenkins / 3 / $5M
Bradley McDougald / 3 / $3M
Byron Maxwell / 2 / $2M
Luke Willson / 2 / $2M
Dion Jordan / 2 / $2M

RFA Tenders:
Dion Jordan / $1.9M

Extension / 2018 Cap Hit
Zach Martin / $11M (-$1.659M cap space)

Contract Details for Richardson, Norwell, and Martin (all get roughly the same deal):
5 Years $75M
$30M Total Guaranteed
$10M Signing Bonus
2018 and 2019 Salaries Guaranteed
Year / Age / Salary / Prorated / Cap Number / Dead Money / Cap Savings
2018 / 26 / $9M / $2M / $11M / $30M / -$30M
2019 / 27 / $11M / $2M / $13M / $19M / -$19M
2020 / 28 / $13M / $2M / $15M / $6M / $7M
2021 / 29 / $15M / $2M / $17M / $4M / $13M
2022 / 30 / $17M / $2M / $19M / $2M / $15M

Total contracted players: 47

Roster Allocation (includes re-signing necessary ERFAs) - 6 additional roster spots: $4.7M
Additional Draft Allocation: $1.7M
Practice Squad Allocation $1.3M
Injury Replacement Allocation: $3.8M

Remaining 2018 cap space: $89,267
Remaining 2019 cap space: $60M (estimated)

Note: if the team needs to open more cap space during the season (to facilitate a trade, for example) the can convert Wilson’s 2018 salary in to a bonus to open up $7.36M.

Explanation / Reasoning:

In general, my thinking is that 2018 will be a “transition” year and the team shouldn’t expect to contend for a title. 2019 will be the target starting year for a new title window. With that in mind, no major $$$ should be invested in any player that will be 30 or over at the start of the 2019 season. Earl falls in to that category, hence the trade.

Dallas has been talked about as a trade partner for obvious reasons. Seattle desperately needs help on the O-Line, and Zach Martin is currently playing on his 5th-year option and has been unable to work out a long-term extension with Dallas after they have given big deals to Frederick and Smith and franchised Lawrence at $17.5M.

Pairing Martin with Andrew Norwell, arguably the two best guards in the NFL, gives Seattle the foundation for the dominating interior line they need to implement the running attack Pete Caroll favors. Martin and Norwell are also young (26 and 27) and would be in their prime for the entirety of their contracts.

On the other hand, that’s a lot of money tied up at OG. Justin Britt had a down year and is due a massive roster bonus soon and his cap hit will average almost $9M over the next three seasons unless Seattle cuts him. At the same time, while he showed promise as a rookie, Ethan Pocic struggled against powerful DTs and he would likely be a better fit at C where he would be less often isolated in single blocking. For these reasons, Britt is released. Seattle moves forward with a foundation of LG Norwell, C Pocic, and RG Martin which should be absolutely dominant for the next five years at least.

Similarly, re-signing Richardson gives the defense a very solid foundation inside, with Reed, Jones, and Richardson. The price is steep but that’s how the market works. Seattle takes a flyer on hometown boy ASJ to replace the aging Graham, and re-signs a few vets (McDougald, Maxwell, Willson) on cap-friendly details for a couple years to ease the transition in to the next SB window.

Seattle does NOT re-up the contracts of Brown, Wright, Clark, and Lockett. Brown will be 34 at the start of the 2019 season, and didn’t play up to his Pro-Bowl billing in 2017. Seattle also likely still wants to see what it has with George Fant. If Fant looks strong and/or Brown fails to impress, it would make sense to let Brown walk (and possibly recoup a comp pick) and move forward with Fant or another player. KJ will be 30 going in to 2019 which makes giving him a 3rd deal risky - no need to rush in to an extension. Lockett had a down season after his big injury, so Seattle holds off to see what he brings in 2018. Clark is the big decision here. My thinking is that Clark needs to prove it as a full-time starter and (with Bennett and Avril gone) as the primary focus of opponent blocking schemes. If he passes this test with flying colors, he either gets extended or he gets the franchise tag. If he doesn’t, the Seahawks aren’t saddled with a huge contract for an average player.

As far as the draft goes, after all the moves outlined above, the Seahawks should be able to draft BPA for the most part. Running back remains a question but remember that 2019 is the key year, which gives the team a year to see how the current backs (Carson, Procise, Madden, etc) produce with new coaching and a better O-Line in front of them. Along with RB, linebacker (with a hole at SLB and KJ in a contract year) and safety are two other areas could use attention. Fortunately these are three of the strongest positions in this draft.

Lastly, the Seahawks would be well-positioned again in 2019 - with a decent amount of cap space and all of their draft picks still in hand.

Slick

Reaction score
If I’m the gm we sign Peter North. He’s got HUGE potential and a LONG history of success.

gcolby

Reaction score
A-Dog":1bzexvkn said:
Trade: Thomas, 2018 pick #18 to Dallas for Zach Martin, 2018 pick #50 (-$841K in cap space)

Very cool trade idea. Has win win potential for the teams and the players.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I want a GDamn LG! Can we do the crap that got us Harvin and Graham to get a legitimate monster at this position? Max is the last key to at least a good defense. A strong guard would go a long way. This is one position I would be willing to overpay for.

Steve2222

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2tevmlgu said:
I want a GDamn LG! Can we do the crap that got us Harvin and Graham to get a legitimate monster at this position? Max is the last key to at least a good defense. A strong guard would go a long way. This is one position I would be willing to overpay for.

Earl Thomas for Zach Martin straight up

chris98251

Reaction score
This is what the NFL Network is going to look at us as this year..

value-village-sign-3121965_large.png

PaVloVa!8

Reaction score
gcolby":34q21ab9 said:
Are Hawks looking at Eric Reid?
I was about to post the same thing ... i think we could have him pretty cheap also