TE Ed Dickson Signed - 3 Years Worth (up to) $14M

Jville

Reaction score
massari":26nzfg6h said:
Dickson is a nice add, but kinda curious why they went with the 30 year old instead of the 25 year old with upside?
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/1 ... t_end.html

Seahawks went with the more mature player further along in his development to urgently reset their offense. To my knowledge, there is nothing blocking Austin Seferian-Jenkins from developing and eventually appearing in a Seahawk uniform at some point down the road.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":yalv0r3j said:
Does anyone else get the sense the Seattle is currently a rudderless ship? This signing makes no sense to me. Hope I'm wrong.

You hope that you are wrong that the signing makes no sense to you?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1t0ctu4r said:

Team needs a TE... probably two. They just signed one.

What doesnt make sense... the player they chose to sign?

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1c659zay said:
CodeWarrior":1c659zay said:

Probably because it wasn't ASJ.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3225yznr said:
CodeWarrior":3225yznr said:

The player nor the terms.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":1uinq8wx said:
Uncle Si":1uinq8wx said:
CodeWarrior":1uinq8wx said:

The player nor the terms.

terms dont seem bad... glorified 1 year deal maybe a mill over.

whats wrong with the player?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I think the improvement in pass blocking will be beneficial.

I'm no expert, but it seemed like Jimmy Graham would miss or just make some half-assed contact on opposing pass rushers and then try to get open. That made it too easy for defenses to keep track of him and make sure he didn't slip free. So it never really worked. If we have a TE that can actually engage and hold off pass rushers for a few seconds, then he should have an easier time slipping free and getting open for a pass if Russ's initial options are covered.

And even if he doesn't make big plays as a receiver, this team needs better pass blocking. I like the idea of having a veteran TE who can recognize what the defense is doing and help out since the TE is basically an extra blocker. Better pass blocking = more time for Russ to use his legs and make good things happen. The past couple years, seems like opposing DEs are constantly collapsing the pocket in a hurry, leaving no time and no room for Russ to do anything.

But what I don't understand is why he isn't rated higher as a run blocker. Was it the scheme he was in? Was he not called upon to help the run game very often? Is he decent at certain types of run blocks and not others? He certainly was part of some good running offenses in Carolina, but that's all I know. We definitely do need to be able to run the ball first and foremost.

edogg23

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":2h2udpfo said:
I for one am wondering what the heck they are doing. They are canceling out their Comp picks with these garbage signings as well. So its more like Dickson plus a 4th rounder plus his contract. Yuck.
They better pray that some of their unsigned players start signing contracts soon with other teams.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Graham was horrible last year. Sure he caught touchdown passes. But he caught nothing else. He was disinterested all year, never gave any effort between the 20s, and it was time to move on. He will do good in Green Bay because they have a pass heavy offense. But he was never a fit for Seattle.

Dickson will be a good blocking Tight End, and beneficial for our young guys.

Why people keep resorting to hyperbole on contracts. 14 million! OMG!

There's only one number that matters in a contract, every play knows that when they sign, it's the guaranteed number. Everything else, meaningless.

You see inflated numbers all the time. Kaepernik! 16 million per year!! (zero guaranteed).

Player X, highest paid player in the NFL! (unless you look at the guarantees). Makes for a great headline though. Lotta clicks.

chris98251

Reaction score
edogg23":1gmfxuns said:
CodeWarrior":1gmfxuns said:
I for one am wondering what the heck they are doing. They are canceling out their Comp picks with these garbage signings as well. So its more like Dickson plus a 4th rounder plus his contract. Yuck.
They better pray that some of their unsigned players start signing contracts soon with other teams.

Comp picks are nice but you need actual players, 7th and 6th round picks rarely make the team, 3rd round picks are saying you let a good player go or whiffed on a pick.

Since we trade back a lot we will have few high round comp picks anyway.

I would rather have players here that can play then boost my Madden score.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think he'll pan out. Glad we passed on ASJ

"Seferian-Jenkins rebuilt his career with the Jets last season, although the results weren't necessarily glamorous.

The former Bucs draftee was essentially a catch-and-fall-down tight end, as he averaged just 7.1 yards per reception, the fewest among qualifying tight ends by more than a yard and a half.

There have been 419 tight end seasons with 50 targets or more since 2001, and in terms of yards per catch, Seferian-Jenkins' campaign ranks ... 418th.

Only Donald Lee's 2009 season is worse."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2268 ... l-barnwell

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1aaoquos said:
But what I don't understand is why he isn't rated higher as a run blocker. Was it the scheme he was in? Was he not called upon to help the run game very often? Is he decent at certain types of run blocks and not others? He certainly was part of some good running offenses in Carolina, but that's all I know. We definitely do need to be able to run the ball first and foremost.

Quite the opposite actually. He was a TE after all... He only pass blocked about 6 snaps per game. He run blocked a shitload more, as that is generally a TEs main job. In the passing game, most TEs chip a rusher and try to get open or swing outside for a dump off.

Atradees

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... hts-Week-5

I like in this highlight that Dickson not only catches the ball on the run extemely well but he has balance and fights for yards after contact. Too many times Graham was awkward and fell over as soon as he caught the ball. Graham was north of 10 million a year and I didnt see the value. This guy will be even better with A great QB.

original poster

Reaction score
I make those cap hits as follows -

2018 - $1,866,667
2019 - $5,433,332
2019 - $5,433,332

They may be slightly out depending on the exact incentives and if they're LTBE or NLTBE, but not by much.

mikeak

Reaction score
Let me tell you I would rather have had Mercedes Lewis

Known blocker and known for catching the ball as well...... consistently

Blitzer88

Reaction score
mikeak":rw29rxrw said:
Let me tell you I would rather have had Mercedes Lewis

Known blocker and known for catching the ball as well...... consistently

Well Lewis was released just today so..........

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
I'm a little confused why fans are looking at this signing negatively? Less than 5 mill per year, an actual TRADITIONAL TE. Something our offense has been missing since the departure of Zach Miller. . . If Ed does pan out as our starter, this signing has great value... In my opinion ! 8)

Also, look for us to draft a late round, athletic (Raw with high upside) TE for Dickson to mentor during their 1st year.