Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

What I would do with Sherman

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
What I would do with Sherman
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm
  • The L.O.B is officially done....

What exactly does that mean. The futures of Kam, Earl, and Sherm are all up in the air. The odds all three return to the field together at 100% has to be about 1 million to 1. Maybe less, I'm sure Vegas has odds for this somewhere. I am not going to go into all the options of what I think could happen with Kam or Earl, I just want to focus on Sherman here.

The Seahawks actually have some leverage with his contract. He is due 13.2 and we would save $11 if we cut him if possible. I think Sherman really does want to be here, and learned a good lesson after his off-season nonsense about getting traded. A new deal would be much more team friendly than the extension they gave Kam, but also extending him this season would offer him the long term security he is concerned with after the big injury. He will also get to end his career as a Seahawk.

Sherman will be in the HoF...

He will go down in history as one if not the best tacklers in the game. He will also be recognized for his ability to track the ball and bring in INT's at an elite rate. Not to mention his big mouth and game saving big plays.

Is Safety an option?

Sherman following in Woodson's footsteps.

"In order to go from cornerback to safety, a player must be (1) a strong tackler, (2) instinctive and (3) realistic. All three points make straightaway speed secondary (no pun intended). If a player can anticipate a throw, the early jump puts them in position get their target to the ground." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334 ... -to-safety

Both Kam and Earl could be gone and that leaves a giant hole to fill. Sherman was never a speedy guy, he has made up for speed with smarts, technique, and determination. If he is a half step slower will he be better served for us jamming slot receivers, matching up on big speedy TE's, roaming the middle picking off deep balls, and filling the gap on run plays. I think it could extend his career another 4 years if he makes the switch.

With a more team friendly extension say 4 year $40 mil w/$16 Mil guaranteed we could save $5mil this season and have Sherman at $8 mil for next year. Is this the future for us or does he move on too?
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Re: What I would do with Sherman
Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:35 pm
  • Keep Sherm, Keep Earl, Keep McDougald, problem solved. There are other areas to “create cap space”.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 am
  • Woodson was fast and a great athlete, Sherman isn't quick and is too lanky for Safety or even the slot.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:59 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Woodson was fast and a great athlete, Sherman isn't quick and is too lanky for Safety or even the slot.

Do you think you need to be quicker at safety or corner?
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:52 am
  • I think he might be far too slim for the middle of the field.

I can’t think of too many safeties who would have had as low a bmi.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:02 am
  • I wrote an article about this for my website, I'll copy and paste it below.

Any Seahawks fan will remember the rumblings last off season surrounding the team, Richard Sherman and his apparent trade block status. As we all know, nothing materialized and Richard remained on the team for the 2017 season.

Was the team’s asking price too much? Very possibly. Was there no genuine interest from other teams? Doubtful. I suspect the team were asking for a similar deal that sent Darrelle Revis to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from the New York Jets in 2013 for the 13th overall pick in that year’s draft, plus a conditional 4th the following year. The team very likely received trade offers in the late first/early second round which would have surely tempted them, but ultimately, decided to keep Sherm in Seattle for the 2017 season and beyond.

With what we know now, getting a late first or early second would have been tremendous value given he was injured in early November and out for the season with a torn Achilles.

It’s a moot point, though. Fact is Seattle kept him in 2017 and he suffered a season ending injury. But what should the team do with him in 2018?

Sherman is a perfect athlete in terms of his body for Pete Carroll, arguably the best DB developer the league has seen. He’s 6’3”, 32” arm length and 9 ¾” hands. Looking at his playing style, he’s never relied on his outright speed (he ran a 4.56 40-yard dash), what he has relied on is his ability in press coverage, his ability to read plays, his length to reach the ball and his natural ability to bait QB’s into thinking he’s out of position. Those traits don’t leave after a torn Achilles, fortunately. So there’s little to suggest that he won’t bounce back to, at the very least, 80% of his previous ability covering the left side.

The big question for me is what Seattle wants to do in free agency whether it be resigning existing players of bringing in outside players. Cutting Sherm releases $11M from the cap for 2018, that’s borderline superstar money. In reality, Seattle won’t be able to make any big splashes in free agency outside of depth players and a few vet minimum type contracts and if they’re happy with that route, I’m certain Sherman will be back in 2018. However, if they want to make a splashy signing, cutting Sherman makes the most logical sense to free up the money to do so.

It's worth noting that on Thursday, ESPN reported that Sherm himself expects to be back with the team in 2018 and will be representing himself in any extension talks further down the line. He plans to play for a further 5 to 6 years. Very interesting.

Pete Carroll has proven he can develop cornerbacks and defensive backs in general so if the ball was in my court I’d cut him this off season, invest that $11M into the offense to bring back some balance to the cap split between offense and defense and draft a corner in the middle rounds that fits their height/length requirements and let Pete work his magic. Not to mention bringing back the likes of Byron Maxwell and DeShawn Shead for depth.

For me personally, it’s a no-lose situation. I’d be perfectly happy with keeping him for the final year of his contract, let him play it out then collect maybe a 4th or 5th round comp pick in 2020. We get a highly respected player around the younger guys for another year, a proven player who is guaranteed to start the entire year (barring injuries, of course). What’s not to like? But at the same time, I would be accepting of the front office cutting bait with him and, as mentioned previously, transitioning his salary to the offensive side of the ball, ideally to the interior of the offensive line.

I’m absolutely against giving him a third contract, though. The rest of the division is getting younger and as much as it pains me to say it, we can’t rely on this current core of players forever. You need to be smart with the roster and continually giving aging veterans large third contracts sets you up for disaster from a cap perspective and injury-risk standpoint. This league is designed for 20-somethings, not 30-somethings, for the most part. Unless, of course, he would take a significantly lower 3rd contract in the $4M-ish range. But that’s highly unlikely and very much a pipe dream and borderline insulting to him to suggest it, given all he has done for this team. He effectively put Seattle into their second Super Bowl appearance in the franchise’s history with the ‘tip’ play against the 49ers in the NFCCG. I firmly stand by the notion that I’d rather have fond memories of the endless highlight-reel like performances that he put out game after game than to sign him to a large 3rd contract and watch him slowly decline to a point where he’s benched for someone else. Nobody would want to see that.

Whatever Seattle decides to do, we will know in the coming weeks as free agency opens up in a little over a month. I’m expecting a hell of an off-season, that’s for sure!

Thank you for all you’ve done for this team in your 7 years, Richard. You will always be a Seahawk in my eyes.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 am
  • I'm not sure we can do anything with Sherman right now, he's still recovering from his achilles rupture.

He said he thinks he'll be back in time for training camp, but that's no guarantee..............might be into the season before we can even think about cutting or trading him.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:28 am
  • Smellyman wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Woodson was fast and a great athlete, Sherman isn't quick and is too lanky for Safety or even the slot.

Hmm, 3x all pro, 4x pro bowler at CB, yet he's not quick?

Not buying it. He's obviously quick enough to be one of the best CB's in the NFL.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:42 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Woodson was fast and a great athlete, Sherman isn't quick and is too lanky for Safety or even the slot.

Not buying it. He's obviously quick enough to be one of the best CB's in the NFL.

You can be quick in reaction time to make up for lack of speed.
    I always say..Think fast/move fast..
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:57 am
  • Chapow wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Sherman's 40 time coming out of college was 4.56, was one of the main reasons he fell as far as he did. Most corners are in the 4.4's.

But Pete and John wanted his length, intelligence and chip on his shoulder...............and that's made all the difference in Sherman being one of the best corners in the league.

As far as him being a good safety? I think it'd be a tough transition for Sherman, he's a good tackler, but he's not big enough to be a strong safety, and not quick/fast enough to be a free safety.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 am
  • Let him play out his final year, let him walk and get a comp pick next year.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:00 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:

Safety.

Also, quick doesn't mean fast, two different things.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 am
  • NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Safety.

Feels like this is bizarro world.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:14 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Safety.

Not at all.

Put a Lamborghini against a Tesla. The Tesla is quick - it will thrash the Lambo off the line. The Lambo, however, will eventually overtake because it is faster (higher top speed). (Edit - referring to the P90, not the upcoming Roadster which would thrash the Lambo on both fronts).

Sherman makes up for lack of closing speed with play recognition. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you are already there because you read and anticipated the play.

I don't have much of an issue about lanky - I don't see the Enforcer role lasting much longer with the emphasis on reducing concussions. Sherman would be a ball-hawk with the vertical to compete with tight ends for catches. He doesn't bring a ton as a hitter, but he's a sure tackler which is another important job for a safety. I hate it when the receiver bounces off a shoulder-hit and continues to run. Hawk-tackle him and get him on the ground.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    NFSeahawks628 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

Safety.

Not at all.

Put a Lamborghini against a Tesla. The Tesla is quick - it will thrash the Lambo off the line. The Lambo, however, will eventually overtake because it is faster (higher top speed). (Edit - referring to the P90, not the upcoming Roadster which would thrash the Lambo on both fronts).

Sherman makes up for lack of closing speed with play recognition. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you are already there because you read and anticipated the play.

I don't have much of an issue about lanky - I don't see the Enforcer role lasting much longer with the emphasis on reducing concussions. Sherman would be a ball-hawk with the vertical to compete with tight ends for catches. He doesn't bring a ton as a hitter, but he's a sure tackler which is another important job for a safety. I hate it when the receiver bounces off a shoulder-hit and continues to run. Hawk-tackle him and get him on the ground.

I know the difference between quick and fast.

Referring to the point that quicker is more preferred at safety. Ask 100 GMs and coaches and 100 of them will say they want a quicker corner than safety.
    Smellyman
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:37 pm
  • Smellyman wrote:Referring to the point that quicker is more preferred at safety. Ask 100 GMs and coaches and 100 of them will say they want a quicker corner than safety.

Ahh.

It's likely to do with recovery. If a guy misses a tackle then the safety as the last line of defense needs to be able to close and and make the play, which requires speed. However, that's more the free safety than the strong safety. I don't believe they should be lumped together as "safety" since they require different skill sets. Chancellor has nearly a 4.7 40 speed, but you know damn well when he gets there. Thomas is closer to 4.4, so he can keep up with and in cases overtake receivers to make a play.

Sherman as a strong safety would be a different beast again. He wouldn't hit as hard as Chancellor. Where Chancellor makes receivers think twice about going over the middle, Sherman would make QBs think twice about throwing to the middle, which has the potential to be equally if not more effective. As a comparison, Sherman is the same height as Ken Easley and only 11 pounds lighter.

Again, Sherman is not as violent, but again I see rules changing around concussions and I would not be at all surprised so see those big hits regulated out of the game.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:59 am
  • massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 am
  • Meh, you could say that about most players. Teams will always listen, it just would take a lot for them the budge.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am
  • Yes, teams will always listen, but they only advertise for other "more real" reasons.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:49 am
  • massari wrote:

If we didn't get a high first round offer for Sherman healthy last year, then we're sure as hell not going to get a good trade offer for him injured AND with one year left on his contract, which diminishes his trade value even further.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:02 am
  • If the Raiders offer a 3rd rounder (75th overall) for him to come home and play opposite of Gareon Conley, I'd be down for that.

Remember, The Jets traded Darrelle Revis when he was about Sherman's age and coming off ACL surgery for a 1st+4th.
    Last edited by massari on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am
  • I don't get why people think Sherman would be a good safety.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am
  • I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas. He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas.

Strong safety, not free safety. The Chancellor role, not the Thomas one. He's 2-tenths faster than Chancellor in the 40, so if Sherman is too slow, what is Chancellor?

SoulfishHawk wrote:He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.

He also relies on his brain, which leads to...

adeltaY wrote:I don't get why people think Sherman would be a good safety.

Because he's a student of the game and does a ton of research on tendencies and tells to determine what the coming play is, which allows him to be at the right place at the right time. That transcends physical talent and measurables when it comes to what position a player can play. He was a receiver transitioned to corner and wasn't a complete disaster at it...
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:53 pm
  • I have a feeling we’ll trade him to New England, probably for a 3rd round pick. Coulda had a 2nd for him if he weren’t coming off a serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:56 pm
  • James in PA wrote:I have a feeling we’ll trade him to New England, probably for a 3rd round pick. Coulda had a 2nd for him if he weren’t coming off a serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope, won’t happen.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:39 pm
  • Well based on all the threads so far we should have about 140 million in cap space and 45 draft picks lined up with everyone thinking we should trade just about every player or cut every other player other then players on their rookie deal.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:52 am
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    SoulfishHawk wrote:I love Sherm as a player, but as a safety? Doesn't seem like a good fit at all. As great as he has been, he's not really that fast, and isn't a guy who covers a lot of ground quick like Thomas.

Strong safety, not free safety. The Chancellor role, not the Thomas one. He's 2-tenths faster than Chancellor in the 40, so if Sherman is too slow, what is Chancellor?

SoulfishHawk wrote:He relies on incredible coverage skills, and getting up in a guy's grill at the line of scrimmage and getting his hands on him from the get.

He also relies on his brain, which leads to...

adeltaY wrote:I don't get why people think Sherman would be a good safety.

Because he's a student of the game and does a ton of research on tendencies and tells to determine what the coming play is, which allows him to be at the right place at the right time. That transcends physical talent and measurables when it comes to what position a player can play. He was a receiver transitioned to corner and wasn't a complete disaster at it...

Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS? He's super lanky, though he is a fantastic and willing tackler. Not sure how well he would fare in the box. Just because he's smart/has high football IQ doesn't mean he'd play well at a different position. Are there any examples besides Woodson? I don't think Sherm is the same type of athlete, Woodson was a freak.
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:56 am
  • adeltaY wrote:
    Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS?.

No he doesn't, Sherman's long and lean, you need big and strong to play SS.

I think people get confused because he's a good tackler, which he is. But he's taking on WR's and RB's going laterally to the sideline, not FB's, RB's, TE's and offensive lineman at the 2nd level.

Plus he'd never want to do that, not when he can make more and play better at corner.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:17 pm
  • To maximize value (you can't get anything for him now) you have to stand pat.

Sherm is in a contract year. He will be doing everything in his power to get paid. Use that to your advantage and trade him mid-season for a lot more than what you would get if you traded him now.

Sherm isn't close to being washed up though. He has a similar mental & athleticism build comp to Charles Tillman, who stayed effective at Corner until age 34. Sherm has -oldman- game. He wins with his mind, and technique, not with freak athleticism. That is why he was a 5th rd pick in the first place.

Trade him mid-season if Seattle isn't confident that they can't work out a long term deal. Otherwise extend him.

EDIT: Sherm can't play Safety in Seattle's scheme he would have to move to a 2-High defense to play Safety. Even still his best spot is playing on the outside as a Zone Corner. (You don't need a lot of speed to play this spot.)
    Last edited by Fade on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 pm
  • Trrrroy wrote:Let him play out his final year, let him walk and get a comp pick next year.

:ditto:
    semiahmoo wrote:I'll say it again - this is Pete's last season in Seattle if the teams doesn't make a legit hard run deep into the playoffs.
    Jerhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:37 pm
  • I would wait to see what the final verdict on Kam is.

When Kam held out defenses targeted Sherm all the time and he was getting beat bad. It became apparent to me that Sherm had grown dependent on Kam’s presence, and benefited on the fear receivers had of getting destroyed on a brutal Chancellor hit the second the ball touched their fingers, and wasn’t worth all the hype he created for himself before that.

Right now Sherm has more value as a memory/unknown than he will after the 2018 season IF Kam isn’t on the field with him.

We would be smart to trade him instead of play him if his Dependasaurus Rex isn’t backing him up.
    AF_BASS_MAN
    NET Rookie

Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:46 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    adeltaY wrote:
    Do you really think Sherman has the frame to play SS?.

No he doesn't, Sherman's long and lean, you need big and strong to play SS.

I think people get confused because he's a good tackler, which he is. But he's taking on WR's and RB's going laterally to the sideline, not FB's, RB's, TE's and offensive lineman at the 2nd level.

Plus he'd never want to do that, not when he can make more and play better at corner.

Agree. Him playing SS is trying to fit a round peg into a square hole.
    He is a corner, and still a pretty good one. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:14 am
  • massari wrote:

This for me. :2thumbs:
    beaumaris
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:50 pm
  • Sherman has lost a step. He's a great position player with an even stronger mental game so he's been able to cover that deficiency the last couple seasons. (though teams seemed to be going right at him more often this past season thinking you could run by him and sometimes they were right.)

If he comes back even a little slower, he won't get away with that anymore. He'll be targeted over and over again.

He's too light to play SS. His frame won't hold up. (He's what, 30 pounds lighter than Kam?)

Hawks are shopping him.

That's the right thing at this point as he's def. on the decline...
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm
  • semiahmoo wrote:Sherman has lost a step. He's a great position player with an even stronger mental game so he's been able to cover that deficiency the last couple seasons. (though teams seemed to be going right at him more often this past season thinking you could run by him and sometimes they were right.)

If he comes back even a little slower, he won't get away with that anymore. He'll be targeted over and over again.

He's too light to play SS. His frame won't hold up. (He's what, 30 pounds lighter than Kam?)

Hawks are shopping him.

He was playing with a bum Achilles till it ruptured, year before he has something else going on with his hip or leg. When your playing against someone you can tell when they aren't right, guile and moxie helps but once your found out they will go after you.

I don't want to hear Carroll with a bunch of coach speak come camp about him and protect him by not showing him if they are serious, if he can play he needs to be seen as able not a question mark. If he is back to form he shuts up doubters and makes his value set higher as well when he is a FA.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    semiahmoo wrote:Sherman has lost a step. He's a great position player with an even stronger mental game so he's been able to cover that deficiency the last couple seasons. (though teams seemed to be going right at him more often this past season thinking you could run by him and sometimes they were right.)

Hawks are shopping him.

He was playing with a bum Achilles till it ruptured, year before he has something else going on with his hip or leg. When your playing against someone you can tell when they aren't right, guile and moxie helps but once your found out they will go after you.

I don't want to hear Carroll with a bunch of coach speak come camp about him and protect him by not showing him if they are serious, if he can play he needs to be seen as able not a question mark. If he is back to form he shuts up doubters and makes his value set higher as well when he is a FA.

Agree!
    semiahmoo
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:44 am
  • I would hate to see him go, but if a team offers something worth listening to, they stand to save a ton of cap space. That being said, I really hope he plays at least one more season here.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I would hate to see him go, but if a team offers something worth listening to, they stand to save a ton of cap space. That being said, I really hope he plays at least one more season here.

What team would take Sherman on in the last year of his deal coming off a major Achilles rupture.

Last year was the year to get something decent for Sherman, and if no one was offering the right price last year? Then they certainly won't this year.

We're stuck, at best as far as trade value Sherman comes back, plays well, shows no signs of his injury lingering and we can do a mid season trade for a mid round pick.

But highly doubt any of this happens.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 am
  • I have this gut feeling that Richard is going to have a big year in 2018. I don't believe that we will trade him and in all actuality I see us trading Earl before Sherman. At the same time I don't think that will happen either, unless some team offers us something we couldn't refuse. Richard will come back from his injuries and be ready for the start of the season. In which I think a lot of QB's will test him and think that he isn't what he once was. Not like in the past couple of years where QB's just didn't throw to his side at all. And he'll show the league again why he is one of the top CB's in the league.

I think investing in Richard Sherman is a good idea. We all know he is not a tremendous athlete like a Patrick Peterson, but it's exactly that which makes him so great! He's so intelligent and know what his limitations are, so he knows how to put himself in the right position. I think if he can avoid any more major injuries and take care of his body, he is the type of player that can play into his late 30's like a Terrance Newman. I believe this injury will really add to that giant chip on his shoulder that is already there.
    MARK2623
    NET Bench Warmer

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:05 am
  • MARK2623 wrote:
    I think investing in Richard Sherman is a good idea. We all know he is not a tremendous athlete like a Patrick Peterson, but it's exactly that which makes him so great! He's so intelligent and know what his limitations are, so he knows how to put himself in the right position. I think if he can avoid any more major injuries and take care of his body, he is the type of player that can play into his late 30's like a Terrance Newman. I believe this injury will really add to that giant chip on his shoulder that is already there.

Then you're doing exactly what you did with Kam and Bennett ( and what we're trying to avoid with Earl), investing a LOT of cap in an aging vet on the downside of his career who's probably going to start getting injured more and more...............or at the least have his play diminish while still paying him 12+M a year.

Sherman also doesn't seem like the type of player that'll take a hometown discount after this year, unless it's a one year prove it deal because he got hurt again.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:15 am
  • I don't think he IS going to be traded. Would much rather roll the dice with a guy who has a chip and his talent.
    He's gonna' be solid this year imo.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:30 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I don't think he IS going to be traded. Would much rather roll the dice with a guy who has a chip and his talent.
    He's gonna' be solid this year imo.

So you want to give Sherman a big extension? Cause we're already rolling the dice with him this year, we have no choice.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:39 am
  • What we can do is re do his deal and extend him with performance incentives due to his injuries and bonus money, would he do it, probably not, basically a Brady deal, it would make him much more easily to be cut or traded with less a cap hit as well.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:41 am
  • I didn't say give him an extension, not once. Let him play in 2018 and see how he looks.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I didn't say give him an extension, not once. Let him play in 2018 and see how he looks.

I didn't say you did, I am saying what I would do with Sherman, help cap, help team, motivate him.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:46 am
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:I didn't say give him an extension, not once. Let him play in 2018 and see how he looks.

I didn't say you did, I am saying what I would do with Sherman, help cap, help team, motivate him.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:32 am
  • I know, Largent was asking. I just prefer they either re-do his deal for a lower $ (though I doubt he would do that) or let him play 2018 and see how he plays before doing an extension.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:15 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:The L.O.B is officially done....

What exactly does that mean. The futures of Kam, Earl, and Sherm are all up in the air. The odds all three return to the field together at 100% has to be about 1 million to 1. Maybe less, I'm sure Vegas has odds for this somewhere. I am not going to go into all the options of what I think could happen with Kam or Earl, I just want to focus on Sherman here.

The Seahawks actually have some leverage with his contract. He is due 13.2 and we would save $11 if we cut him if possible. I think Sherman really does want to be here, and learned a good lesson after his off-season nonsense about getting traded. A new deal would be much more team friendly than the extension they gave Kam, but also extending him this season would offer him the long term security he is concerned with after the big injury. He will also get to end his career as a Seahawk.

Sherman will be in the HoF...

He will go down in history as one if not the best tacklers in the game. He will also be recognized for his ability to track the ball and bring in INT's at an elite rate. Not to mention his big mouth and game saving big plays.

Is Safety an option?

Sherman following in Woodson's footsteps.

"In order to go from cornerback to safety, a player must be (1) a strong tackler, (2) instinctive and (3) realistic. All three points make straightaway speed secondary (no pun intended). If a player can anticipate a throw, the early jump puts them in position get their target to the ground." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334 ... -to-safety

Both Kam and Earl could be gone and that leaves a giant hole to fill. Sherman was never a speedy guy, he has made up for speed with smarts, technique, and determination. If he is a half step slower will he be better served for us jamming slot receivers, matching up on big speedy TE's, roaming the middle picking off deep balls, and filling the gap on run plays. I think it could extend his career another 4 years if he makes the switch.

With a more team friendly extension say 4 year $40 mil w/$16 Mil guaranteed we could save $5mil this season and have Sherman at $8 mil for next year. Is this the future for us or does he move on too?

Sherman to Safety, that is genius if you as me.
    jeremiah
    NET Practice Squad

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 pm
  • I don't believe Sherman's body would hold up playing safety in the box the way this defense depends on. I know it wouldn't be a straight across trade, but I am liking the Idea of a Marcus Peters / Sherman trade. We have to start getting younger on def. IMO Earl is my favorite Seahawk of all time, but if the right trade / draft picks were offered I believe you have to entertain the idea. Bobby Wagner is the Center Stone of Defense now.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

Next

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information