Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

How will you react if SEA skips RBs in the draft...

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • 3 million could augment an OL signing or something else. Gotta look at the big picture.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Sgt. Largent wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:After they whiffed during the best WR and CB drafts in the decade, this wouldn't surprise me.

So I'll be pissed but not surprised.

I'd hardly call guys like Sherman, Lane, Griffin, Thurmond, Maxwell, etc "whiffed." That's a better hit rate than most teams, especially for where these guys were drafted.

Agreed on the WR's, hit rate has been terrible for Pete and John. Other than O-line, their worst drafted position group.

I was referring to the 2014 draft where we wound up with Paul Richardson and Kevin Norwood in a ridiculously stacked draft and last years draft that was loaded at corner. That said, I will say Griffin was a very pleasant surprise.. just wish we were able to grab another good corner to bridge the post-Sherm days.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• They keep swinging and missing on Big Receivers that they take late as projects.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• BeanieHawk wrote:As a former Georgia Bulldog myself...I'd love to see our Hawks pick up Sony Michel or Nick Chubb; that said we have too many other holes on our team i.e. O line, defensive line, defensive secondary in the draft and not many picks ( one 1st rounder, and none right now in the 2nd or 3rd round)...each pick will be important...so I hope we get a good one in free agency!

I really can't see Nick Chubb or Sony Michel as Seahawks.

We all know how PC feels about turnovers and both have a carry to fumble ratio of 54:1.

For comparisons sake, Ronald Jones ratio is 207:1 (the highest of all the RB's).
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Tical21 wrote:I see a 0% chance we don't draft one by the end of round 4. Commitent to the running game includes the RB position. Our leading rusher had like 250 yards, and some of you want to stand pat? A rookie lineman is almost no help. We have enough young linemen. I'd love to sign an upgrade FA.

I'm out on Ronald Jones. Just too small and not fast enough. I think we end up someone in the 3rd. Johnson, Penny or Bellage, even though I don't love Penny.

Wasn't Ronald Jones a sprinter at USC?
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• getnasty wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:I see a 0% chance we don't draft one by the end of round 4. Commitent to the running game includes the RB position. Our leading rusher had like 250 yards, and some of you want to stand pat? A rookie lineman is almost no help. We have enough young linemen. I'd love to sign an upgrade FA.

I'm out on Ronald Jones. Just too small and not fast enough. I think we end up someone in the 3rd. Johnson, Penny or Bellage, even though I don't love Penny.

Wasn't Ronald Jones a sprinter at USC?

Yep, 100m and 200m.
    www.hawk-talk.com

Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Seymour wrote:Yes, I read through all of that already but was looking for the amount of the original 4th round tender and have yet to find it. Again, this is all off topic of "how would you react if we don't draft a RB" and keep 2 backs (or we could also pickup another UFA) though IMO.

"Pissed because Davis would cost too much" could be an answer also. :2thumbs:

Original round tenders don't work that way.

It's a designated number that means if a team wants to sign said player, they have to give up a draft pick in the same round as they were drafted. It'll be really handy for the likes of Dion Jordan. Rather than putting a 1st round tender at $4m+, you can put the original round tender on him with exactly the same outcome, if another team wants to sign him, Seattle gets their 1st round pick.

Exactly the same but saying well over $2m.

Obviously if a player went undrafted, and you didn't want to risk loosing him, you'd have to put a first or second round tender on him (see Justin Coleman) as putting the original round tender would be useless as you can't get back a draft pick that never took place in the first place.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Prosise is under contract for just $800k and $900k the next two years and doesn't take a roster spot on PUP/IR. You might be done with him but the Seahawks are probably not. The only way he doesn't make the 53 man roster this year is if we bring in some additional competition that looks really good in the preseason.
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Like I did in 2008 when we passed on Matt Forte because we signed the great Julius Jones and proceeded to draft Lawrence Jackson and John Carlson. Not the worst picks ever, but that was such a talented RB group.
    nanomoz
    NET Veteran

• I see no way we draft at #18. They are going to have to recoup some draft picks with all the potential glaring holes we could have on both sides of the ball. With all the unknowns between Avril, Sherman, McDowell, Graham, PRICH just to get started. With a deep RB class, and a obvious need there I would say there is no chance we don't draft a back, unless we grab Blount or Martin to skate by, and go Def / Oline heavy early in the draft. Depending on what type of back they want for the new scheme, I like Ballage for a big back that can still catch, or Penny seems to be that shorter quick/thick back, that could also take care of return duties.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• With the success of Carson I think we wait till the late part of the draft and find a player that fits a look and skill set that's not on the National radar want list, it's how we do things with WR and RB for the most part Prosise being an exception and because of his limited contribution and the high salary of a back and our lack of getting full seasons from them we shy away from a high pick.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

We turn #18 into about 3 picks by trading down. Say just for kicks 31 overall a second and additional third. Thats assuming probably 2 trade downs which we all know is going to happen.

In that scenario. I would be absolutely giddy if we got Sony Michel from Georgia!!!!
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

We turn #18 into about 3 picks by trading down. Say just for kicks 31 overall a second and additional third. Thats assuming probably 2 trade downs which we all know is going to happen.

In that scenario. I would be absolutely giddy if we got Sony Michel from Georgia!!!!

I liked Sony Michel lots too until I saw his fumble rate :shock:
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• gowazzu02 wrote:I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

I'm not totally against a Carson / Michel duo, but his fumble issues worry me, from vids it looks like he has small hands.
    I agree with you on your trade downs. I hope with how stacked this draft is at RB a Carson / Penny or Freeman could be a sweet combo.
    12forlife
    NET Practice Squad

• original poster wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

I haven't seen the fumble rate that you mention. I wonder if it's higher in part cause he was in such a time share with not only Chubb but the frosh whos name I think is Swift? Meaning one fluke fumble could really sku the ratio?
    gowazzu02
    NET Veteran

• gowazzu02 wrote:
    original poster wrote:
    gowazzu02 wrote:I've had this talk with folks on the draft .net board. Heres how I see it playing out.

I haven't seen the fumble rate that you mention. I wonder if it's higher in part cause he was in such a time share with not only Chubb but the frosh whos name I think is Swift? Meaning one fluke fumble could really sku the ratio?

They both averaged 54:1 on carries per fumble, scarily high! To give you an idea Ronald Jones II is over 200:1.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Tical21 wrote:I see a 0% chance we don't draft one by the end of round 4. Commitent to the running game includes the RB position. Our leading rusher had like 250 yards, and some of you want to stand pat? A rookie lineman is almost no help. We have enough young linemen. I'd love to sign an upgrade FA.

I can see the argument re: his size, but lack of speed? No. He ran a 10.37 100m when he was still in HS.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    NET Veteran

• Prosise is going to surprise people next year and get utilized a ton in the new offense. I don't fault anyone for not believing as he hasn't given anyone reason for optimism but he's going to play a big role. If they draft someone I expect its someone later in the draft.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

• Ronald Jones isn't slow. I don't know that he's a true burner, but I suspect he'd run between 4.41 and 4.43. Dude lights up the screen because he's all torque. Hits that top end in no time. He weighed in at 205 so he's a little lean, but regardless, he's probably going in the early 2nd round and would have to be off our board. I like him, but not quite that much for a part time back that would likely struggle carrying the load if Carson went down. My goal would be having two backs that you can count on to be able to take 20-25 touches a game for at least half of a season.

To the Prosise comment, I wouldn't be surprised if he was all of the sudden healthy for his contract year. Prosise doesn't have the 0-60 that Jones has, but Prosise does have a pretty elite second gear when he gets into that sprinter stride even though he only ran a 4.48. Prosise's 10 yard split was pretty average, if I remember right. IF he does stay healthy, I still don't take him off the field for Carson. Carson is a good receiver and, not to be understated, a ridiculous pass blocker. Any RW junkie should appreciate that. I'd actually like to get him some reps in the slot and maybe add some jet sweeps back into things with him, BUT he has to stay healthy and that's a big gamble.

Speaking of which, we need to add a RB. I really had my eye on John Kelly in later rounds, but he had an MJ arrest and that could be bad in WA. Depending on how many times we trade back or get picks for trades, if just might have to be Penny in the 3rd. Maybe Ballage too, I don't know. Depends on who goes where and when that RB feeding frenzy happens....because it will. They'll start flying off the board and everyone's board with change as the rooms start to dubya T eff and adjust.
    --Poster of the Month - April 2018--
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month

• Derrius Guice would fit in very well with this team.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• SoulfishHawk wrote:Derrius Guice would fit in very well with this team.

If any running back screams 'going to get injured in the NFL' it's Guice IMO.

He is very similar to Rawls in his running style, making contract for the sake of making contact which is great in some respects, but to do it over the course of a 16 game season is asking for trouble.

I'd not be upset if Seattle drafted him, but I definitely don't think they will.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• Nah, they'll trade down. I'd be shocked if they pick at 18. With all these QB's going in the 1st round (possibly) that could really make that pick at 18 worth trading up to get for teams looking for other positions. They could really help themselves by grabbing a 2 and 3 maybe by trading down.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• I think we may be a bit disappointed with the value we get from the inevitable trade back to be honest.

Although it only takes one player to fall and one team to make a phone call, but as it stands, I'm tempering my expectations!
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• original poster wrote:I think we may be a bit disappointed with the value we get from the inevitable trade back to be honest.

Although it only takes one player to fall and one team to make a phone call, but as it stands, I'm tempering my expectations!

Maybe.....but maybe not. Rob Rang was saying there are a couple good QB's that could fall to 18. If that happens and the right team is interested, then it could work out well.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:I think we may be a bit disappointed with the value we get from the inevitable trade back to be honest.

Maybe.....but maybe not. Rob Rang was saying there are a couple good QB's that could fall to 18. If that happens and the right team is interested, then it could work out well.

For sure, not saying it won't happen, but I'd be more inclined to believe we will get bad value in the trade rather than fair to good value.

Not a knock on JS, either. Simply a case of what's being offered to them.

I wouldn't be shocked at a trade back into the very late first for just a third rounder.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• 3rd round is about right. Moving back 10 spots in first round (18 to 28) is net gain of 240 points which is a high 3rd round pick.

More than likely it will be a team that picked before us though. IMO which could mean more like a high 2nd, high 3rd and a later round pick.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Please don't click on the Asian women link....stay on topic. 8) :P
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

• We need to hope some of the QB's fall, hopefully that'll happen and will put us in a good spot.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• If we can trade back once from 18 to mid 20's to net a third, then that late pick into the early 2nd for another third I'd be happy. Then package a couple of picks to move up in the third again using some later picks I'd be happy.

One second and three thirds would be great.
    www.hawk-talk.com

original poster
    * NET Moderator *

• There is a good chance Carlos Hyde will be waiting for them in a week. He's unlikely to re-sign with the 49ers, and when healthy he is a quality power back. Seattle is the ideal landing spot for him, I think.
    5_Golden_Rings
    NET Veteran

• Offensive line trumps EVERYTHING as far as I’m concerned. We get dominated repeatedly by the Rams and the Cardinals four times a year, and it has to stop. We have a franchise quarterback in his physical prime, and we need to start protecting him.

A great line covers a lot of warts (Cowboys), and it can make a running back look much better.

So, I wouldn’t be too upset if we skipped RB in the draft. It’s a deep class, and we have much bigger fish to fry.
    ben@thetabs
    THE TABS
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Whether a "need" or not we always draft one if not multiple, this year will be no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DJ_CJ
    NET Starter

• THE TABS wrote:Offensive line trumps EVERYTHING as far as I’m concerned. We get dominated repeatedly by the Rams and the Cardinals four times a year, and it has to stop. We have a franchise quarterback in his physical prime, and we need to start protecting him.

A great line covers a lot of warts (Cowboys), and it can make a running back look much better.

So, I wouldn’t be too upset if we skipped RB in the draft. It’s a deep class, and we have much bigger fish to fry.

When was the last time that the Cowboys were in a Super Bowl, I think Aikman can tell you.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Previous

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information