Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

How will you react if SEA skips RBs in the draft...

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • ...and goes with Carson and Davis?

    I personally see a 40% chance that they do that. Not that Carson's durability concerns are small. It's part of why he fell in the draft. But for the sake of "fun" while we wait for the draft, how would you respond if that happened?

    Alternatively, how would you respond if they pick no RB in the draft, but do get a top OL in the first or high second round?
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16159
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • I would be happy with Ronald Jones II or either of the top interior linemen in R1. Carson was looking pretty good and actually had solid yards after contact, so assuming he comes back fully healthy I wouldn't be too upset. Post season breakdowns show interior blocking on running plays was abysmal and that has to improve.

    I think his rehab will really sway how they attack the draft or if there's a guy they believe will be available late because fixing the running game is priority #1 for Pete this year.
    User avatar
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4458
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


  • Drafting a RB high while having a similar Oline as last year would be insane to go through again. Fix the Oline first, then you can tell what talent you really have here. We saw a perfect example of that last year with letting Collins go and what he was able to do behind just an average line.
    So yes, no RB is fine with me if we accomplish building a decent line and provide depth in other needed positions.

    What I do know is...we are not going to fix everything in 1 draft.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5866
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • It's a very deep RB class, so I expect us to pick one.............as we always do.

    When? Have no idea, I quit a LONG time ago trying to figure out Schneider on draft day.

    But how would I feel if we didn't? I'd be disappointed, but IMO it's not the most glaring position of need, and Davis and Carson are good backs if we can shore up the line.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13847
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

    He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

    J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

    Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

    I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

    For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3171
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • original poster wrote:I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

    He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

    J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

    Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

    I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

    For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.


    That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5866
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • I won't mind if they skip RB in the draft (as SEA has a lot of needs and not very many picks)...but they better pick up a good prospect as an undrafted FA or a young(er) vet in free agency. Carson and Davis aren't going to cut it.
    Image
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 16380
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • HawkFan72 wrote:Carson and Davis aren't going to cut it.


    Strong opinion. Any reason behind that other than Carson's durability concerns?
    GO HAWKS!!!

    Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    User avatar
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *
     
    Posts: 16159
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:46 am


  • We will see Isaiah Crowell or Demarco Murray as a Hawk next year.
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2840
    Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm
    Location: South Seattle


  • If were setting the bar at Chris Carson and Mike Davis, the run game is doomed.

    Mike Davis is a journeyman RB (although I really like the guy) and Chris Carson ran for 208 yards over 4 games (4.2 average).

    It's yet to be determined if Chris Carson can be a franchise, 3 down back in the league, but I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him 3rd or lower on the depth chart next season.
    www.hawk-talk.com

    Image

    Richard Sherman wrote:People look forward to writing us off. Our demise was greatly overstated.
    User avatar
    original poster
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 3171
    Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:55 am


  • I try not to overly focus on which position we are drafting or handling via free agency. We could feasibly find a good RB signed as an undrafted free agent. I would be both shocked and disappointed if they don't address the RB situation in some meaningful way though. I doubt that they will ignore it though.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19621
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • original poster wrote:If were setting the bar at Chris Carson and Mike Davis, the run game is doomed.

    Mike Davis is a journeyman RB (although I really like the guy) and Chris Carson ran for 208 yards over 4 games (4.2 average).

    It's yet to be determined if Chris Carson can be a franchise, 3 down back in the league, but I certainly wouldn't be putting any money on it. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him 3rd or lower on the depth chart next season.


    I'm still high on Carson, obviously if he can stay healthy..............and this question is moot anyway because there's no way Pete and John go into 2018 with just Carson and maybe Rawls and Davis as the RB's.

    With how tight out cap is, I don't see any other way this goes other than drafting a young stud if Schneider can work his draft magic and get a couple more early round picks.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13847
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • At this point, I am a little worried about how the Seahawks training staff handles the player's recoveries. Rawls was a monster then got hurt and has not been the same since. CJ Prosise should donate his body to science so they can discover how a human body could be made of glass.

    So I think Carson can do it. Before he got hurt he was averaging about 4 yards a carry and to top it off he had the season-high single-game rushing yardage total of 93 yards. So I would not be disappointed that the team would want to stick with him.
    User avatar
    sdog1981
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2206
    Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 am


  • It's looking less and less that the Hawks are going to get a shot at Michel, as he is already climbing draft boards even though he hasn't even shown at the combine yet.

    But yeah, it would be stupid not to throw in on this draft. I do not want to go the way of FA again. Davis' contract would even seem silly for a backup to Carson. Also, that said, even if we trade down and end up taking a back in the 2nd they still aren't going to start over Carson right away if at all. Carson is a stud, but you have to have two backs.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

    He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

    J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

    Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

    I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

    For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.


    That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.

    I don’t see how the poster gets to set the framework for a reality that is yet to exist. Being 2 million minimum for Davis changes things whether we like it or not. I was expecting him back, but now it's a huge question.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • vin.couve12 wrote:It's looking less and less that the Hawks are going to get a shot at Michel, as he is already climbing draft boards even though he hasn't even shown at the combine yet.

    But yeah, it would be stupid not to throw in on this draft. I do not want to go the way of FA again. Davis' contract would even seem silly for a backup to Carson. Also, that said, even if we trade down and end up taking a back in the 2nd they still aren't going to start over Carson right away if at all. Carson is a stud, but you have to have two backs.


    Probably the only way Davis's contract makes sense is if we don't get our guy in the draft, we cut Rawls and Pete plans on splitting carriers between Carson and Davis.

    All seems unlikely, but that's the only scenario where it makes sense to spend almost 2M on Davis's tender.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13847
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Also, bravo to original poster for the name selection. Now I'm not sure if I'm saying what I think I'm saying.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • Last year might have been a better RB draft than for the secondary.

    We picked a guy up in the late rounds.

    Passing on a # of RBs that turned into studs.

    (Admittedly, with our line those guys might not have developed here though)

    This year has some solid contenders but it feels like a draft where undervaluing the RB might not happen as much. In past years, a lot of those RBs would drop pretty far and even Barkley might have made it to the middle of the 1st. Very unlikely this year.

    We need a RB. Standing pat would be pretty foolish. But I don't know that there will be real difference makers there by the time we pick and I am worried we will trade the pick and move down anyway.

    If Michel or Penny are there, I will be very upset if we pass on them.

    That kid out of the Auburn looks pretty good too. So hopefully someone decent falls to them.

    Sticking with what we have would be really difficult to stomach right now.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:It's looking less and less that the Hawks are going to get a shot at Michel, as he is already climbing draft boards even though he hasn't even shown at the combine yet.

    But yeah, it would be stupid not to throw in on this draft. I do not want to go the way of FA again. Davis' contract would even seem silly for a backup to Carson. Also, that said, even if we trade down and end up taking a back in the 2nd they still aren't going to start over Carson right away if at all. Carson is a stud, but you have to have two backs.


    Probably the only way Davis's contract makes sense is if we don't get our guy in the draft, we cut Rawls and Pete plans on splitting carriers between Carson and Davis.

    All seems unlikely, but that's the only scenario where it makes sense to spend almost 2M on Davis's tender.

    I think Rawls is an RFA. We could tender him and potentially keep him around as a 3rd string, but I'm not sure what the reasoning would be.

    Even not getting a shot at Michel though, there is still Penny, Freeman, Chubbs probably all available in the 3rd and Ballage probably available in the late 4th to 5th round as well. Penny or Freeman would be my choices there, but we have a lot of options.

    Carson
    Draft pick
    Mckissic
    Prosise
    Multiple UDFAs

    Tre Madden and the new kid...uh...Fowler vying for the FB job.

    Edit: Fowler could absolutely win that job, btw. Reminds me a little of Leonard Weaver, albeit bigger and not as fast.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • vin.couve12 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

    He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

    J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

    Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

    I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

    For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.


    That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.

    I don’t see how the poster gets to set the framework for a reality that is yet to exist. Being 2 million minimum for Davis changes things whether we like it or not. I was expecting him back, but now it's a huge question.


    It's not a $2M minimum if we pick him back up after he clears which also can happen. Point is, the thread changes when you throw in your own anticipated scenario.

    I also question those numbers. He was a 4th round pick (#126) not a 2nd.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5866
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:
    I also question those numbers. He was a 4th round pick (#126) not a 2nd.


    That's why he lists 2 numbers. One for his Value from his original round, and the other for his value if we were to tag him with a 2nd round tender. The tender amount would be dependent upon how they tag him. Personally I'd just go with the right of first refusal and see what happens.

    Teams have four different tender options they can place on their restricted free agent that usually keeps those players from leaving.

    First-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a first-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

    Second-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a second-round selection if it opts not to match the deal.

    Original-round tender: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal and will receive a selection equal to the round the player was originally selected in if it opts not to match the deal.

    Right of first refusal: Free agent can negotiate with other teams, but original team has option to match any deal. The team will not receive any compensation if it opts not to match another deal.


    https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/8/14834554/nfl-restricted-free-agents-rules-tender-amounts
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19621
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Yes, I read through all of that already but was looking for the amount of the original 4th round tender and have yet to find it. Again, this is all off topic of "how would you react if we don't draft a RB" and keep 2 backs (or we could also pickup another UFA) though IMO.

    "Pissed because Davis would cost too much" could be an answer also. :2thumbs:
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5866
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • Seymour wrote:Yes, I read through all of that already but was looking for the amount of the original 4th round tender and have yet to find it. Again, this is all off topic of "how would you react if we don't draft a RB" and keep 2 backs (or we could also pickup another UFA) though IMO.

    "Pissed because Davis would cost too much" could be an answer also. :2thumbs:


    I just assumed that his amounts listed are estimates as I haven't seen any official list of 2018 numbers released yet. His numbers are only a little higher than the 2017 numbers, so they sound like they are accurate enough for the purposes of a speculative thread such as we have to do at this point in the off season.


    Here are last year's numbers for reference:

    First Round $3,910,000
    Second Round $2,746,000
    Original Round $1,797,000



    and the estimates for this years numbers which seem to match the above

    First Round $4,152,000
    Second Round $2,916,000
    Original Round $1,908,000


    https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders/
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19621
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Thank you. Yes, the $1.7 number was all I found also.

    Sounds like a lot until you consider how we did last year with Lacey and his $4+M with no China food bonus $$.
    User avatar
    Seymour
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5866
    Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm


  • 2_0_6 wrote:We will see Isaiah Crowell or Demarco Murray as a Hawk next year.

    Interesting. I'm not a Murray fan at all, but Crowell would be a good pickup. I'd like that a lot.
    User avatar
    Thepeelsessions
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1437
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am
    Location: Out here


  • Heck with that. Mostly we need a fullback.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6627
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


  • Three picks in the 5th round, right? I'm guessing one of them is a RB.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer
     
    Posts: 105541
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 pm


  • If Procise could just stay healthy - Carson and him would be a sweet 1-2.
    User avatar
    iigakusei
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1571
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 am


  • Yeah man. Would be amazing if we could get a healthy year out of Prosise.
    User avatar
    King Dog
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1689
    Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:13 pm
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • Seymour wrote:
    vin.couve12 wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    original poster wrote:I don't expect Mike Davis will be on the team next year.

    He is a RFA and the team are not paying him the $1,908,000 (original round tender) or $2,916,000 (second round tender). He 'may' be back anyway via FA for vet minimum but we will see. I also don't expect Rawls to be back.

    J.D. McKissic is likely going to get ERFA tendered so he will cost $630,000 next season, pretty good value, he's almost certainly back.

    Potentially that leaves 3 RB's on the roster for 2018 - J.D. McKissic, Chris Carson and Tre Madden.

    I think it's very fair to say they look at RB in both free agency and the draft.

    For me, personally, I'd be amazed if they don't select a RB by the 100th pick overall.


    That changes the entire thread topic. I think we have to go with the OP's assumptions or this will turn into something other than intended.

    I don’t see how the poster gets to set the framework for a reality that is yet to exist. Being 2 million minimum for Davis changes things whether we like it or not. I was expecting him back, but now it's a huge question.


    It's not a $2M minimum if we pick him back up after he clears which also can happen. Point is, the thread changes when you throw in your own anticipated scenario.

    I also question those numbers. He was a 4th round pick (#126) not a 2nd.

    Either which way, you can get a back in this draft that will or could eventually challenge Carson for the starting job this coming year and then you don't have to worry about the position for the next two years and on the cheap so that money could be used elsewhere.

    It's just the right card to play.
    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • They will draft a RB somewhere unless they are banking on Procise :34853_doh:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4055
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


  • They aren't that stupid are they?
    Hasselbeck wrote:Matt Flynn should be our starter. Wilson is nothing more than a backup and will never amount to anything in this league.
    User avatar
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3448
    Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am


  • As a former Georgia Bulldog myself...I'd love to see our Hawks pick up Sony Michel or Nick Chubb; that said we have too many other holes on our team i.e. O line, defensive line, defensive secondary in the draft and not many picks ( one 1st rounder, and none right now in the 2nd or 3rd round)...each pick will be important...so I hope we get a good one in free agency!
    User avatar
    BeanieHawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:29 pm


  • BeanieHawk wrote:we have too many other holes on our team i.e. O line, defensive line, defensive secondary in the draft and not many picks ( one 1st rounder, and none right now in the 2nd or 3rd round)...each pick will be important...so I hope we get a good one in free agency!

    Agreed for the most part.

    Hoping they don't pick one early but get one in the middle rounds to go with Carson, McKissic and a vet free agent. Prosise to WR.

    Rawls and Davis for depth/competition preseason.
    Last edited by massari on Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    massari
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1296
    Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:58 am


  • Since the 'Beastmode' era, the Seahawks haven't had a Feature Back....Last year, Pete tried like hell to rectify the problem by Drafting Carson & bringing in Lacey and a few others to resurrect his Run Game.
    Eddy (slow-mo) Lacey didn't/doesn't have what it takes to make up for shitty O-Line push.
    I'm thinking that Pete is hoping that Solari might be able to breathe new life into the Seahawks O-Line.
    I don't believe that we have Pete's feature Back on the roster....Is there one in THIS Draft that tickles his fancy?, I don't know, but I'm betting that he's going to try and find one there.
    I agree that he should be looking for a charging Bull Fullback that can block, and blow holes open for our RB's.
    I'm hoping that he's also looking for a Tight End that has some NASTY, and also doesn't mind blocking for his teammates.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6603
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • If they take a RB it won't be early unless they trade back from 18 which could happen. Carson,
    Davis,Prosise and Mckissic wouldn't hurt my feeling but I think they'll grab one with a late round pick to compete with Mike Davis for the 4th RB spot.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2989
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • I'd be perfectly fine with it. We need to improve our OL first, though it might be improved with existing personnel already from getting rid of Cable; who knows?

    I'm guessing this will be John Schneider's toughest off-season in Seattle yet.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 30061
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


  • In my view we mainly need to reload on cheap talent across the board so I'd like to see straight BPA. If that doesn't include RB than so be it, we'd add at least one in UDFA and then probably another from the FA bargain bin.

    I would be surprised, however. There are lots of intriguing RBs this year and a couple of them are bound to slip as a result. The ASU RB looks like a pretty good short yardage complement with decent hands.
    User avatar
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3567
    Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • I hope we don't draft a bag full of 5th round free/agent types....

    Man......the Seahawk's have a rich history of amazing running backs.....

    I will be OK if the oline is finally improved.
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    User avatar
    Atradees
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3472
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
    Location: South of Heaven


  • Currently, the RB position can be described with two words...hope and prayer. We hope that Carson, or Rawls, or Procise, or McKissic, or Davis, or someone else can be the guy and provide some semblance of a run game. We pray that whoever it Is, stays healthy.

    I'm pretty sure they will draft someone. Doug Martin was released and is available. At this point in the off season, I doubt they go FA for a RB. Much cheaper to find one in the draft.
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1833
    Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:06 pm
    Location: Spokane


  • After they whiffed during the best WR and CB drafts in the decade, this wouldn't surprise me.

    So I'll be pissed but not surprised.
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    User avatar
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *
     
    Posts: 11385
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:55 pm


  • Derrius Guice is a flat out beast. If he falls down to the spot we trade down to, he'd be worth it.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10829
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • they're taking a RB in the draft, 100% certainty
    Image
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    User avatar
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2361
    Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:14 pm


  • Hasselbeck wrote:After they whiffed during the best WR and CB drafts in the decade, this wouldn't surprise me.

    So I'll be pissed but not surprised.


    I'd hardly call guys like Sherman, Lane, Griffin, Thurmond, Maxwell, etc "whiffed." That's a better hit rate than most teams, especially for where these guys were drafted.

    Agreed on the WR's, hit rate has been terrible for Pete and John. Other than O-line, their worst drafted position group.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 13847
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Slightly off-topic but what year was the stellar wide receiver draft that was one of the best in decades?

    I do think that looking back we will find that last year was one of the best RB drafts in a while. (overall, not for us. I haven't seen enough of Carson to know if he is average, above-average or just better at dealing with terrible blocking than most. Not sure I understand the optimism that seems to imply he will be a top-tier back but we have another year to find out)

    But which one was the rich crop of receivers that are lighting it up in the NFL now?
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • I see a 0% chance we don't draft one by the end of round 4. Commitent to the running game includes the RB position. Our leading rusher had like 250 yards, and some of you want to stand pat? A rookie lineman is almost no help. We have enough young linemen. I'd love to sign an upgrade FA.

    I'm out on Ronald Jones. Just too small and not fast enough. I think we end up someone in the 3rd. Johnson, Penny or Bellage, even though I don't love Penny.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    User avatar
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Derrius Guice is a flat out beast. If he falls down to the spot we trade down to, he'd be worth it.

    Yep ^ Like I said, since Lynch's departure, we've been shooting blanks.
    I doubt like hell the Seahawks are going to go Free Agent shopping for a RB again this year (can't afford to), and besides, IF there are any Free Agent RB's out there, and they're any good, I doubt their teams are going to let them get away, UNLESS, they'd be too expensive to hang onto, in which case, they'd be out of our price range too.
    Drafting a RB is our only viable option, and IF Derrius Guice is within our reach, you'd have to take him.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6603
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Ballage is fantastic.

    I think he was underrated because of where he played, but he has size and power with enough speed to keep him dangerous. Size and power guys are difficult because guys that overpower undersized college guys get a wakeup call in the NFL (looking at you Ron Dayne) but I think he could be a good one.

    That said, without a FB this is almost a pointless exercise. Even the Great Barry Sanders got better with a fullback. Emmitt Smith had Moose Johnston. I get that offenses are moving away from FBs but if you want to run the freaking ball then you need someone to keep the LBs off your RB.

    Moving forward without a FB is just pointless. You could have a stellar back and they would still struggle without any holes being opened for them. We got really lazy because Marshawn shook guys off, but that is not normal.

    We need a FB more than we need a RB.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3355
    Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm


  • iigakusei wrote:If Procise could just stay healthy - Carson and him would be a sweet 1-2.


    I’m absolutely DONE with Proacise but I’m cool with Carson I would love to pick up a RB in the later rounds
    xStickybudz
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 631
    Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:19 pm


  • Later round sleeper here that I've heard nothing about. You just have to get a back in this draft whether it's somebody like this kid in the 5th-7th or even a bigger investment. Some kid like this nets you almost 3 million in cap room if you jist part ways with Davis and Rawls. I know Davis may not sign and come back cheap, but you can't account for those dependencies.

    User avatar
    vin.couve12
    .NET Poster of the Month
     
    Posts: 4618
    Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 10:19 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Next


It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information