Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Dave Canales to QB coach

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Dave Canales to QB coach
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 pm
  • Just saw on PFT that Dave Canales will become the QB coach. Was WR's coach for 3 years prior.
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Re: Dave Canales to QB coach
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm
  • Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:14 pm
  • Not gonna lie, disappointed we didn't get Jim Zorn............
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:15 pm
  • Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being bad.
    Last edited by erik2690 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
    erik2690
    NET Rookie

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 pm
  • erik2690 wrote:Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being good.

Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy are guys that were WR coaches prior to becoming QB coaches and eventual OCs -> HCs. So it is far from unprecedented.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:47 pm
  • I wonder if Nate Carroll becomes WR coach.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:58 am
  • kobebryant wrote:
    erik2690 wrote:Is there much precedent for a WR coach going to QB coach. I don't mean to make it sound like some other universe, but it does seem odd. Unless they really think he's an up and coming great offensive mind and are grooming him for OC I'm not sure I totally get it. I was more into the Zorn rumor but I don't know much about this guy, can't write him off yet as being good.

Kyle Shanahan, Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy are guys that were WR coaches prior to becoming QB coaches and eventual OCs -> HCs. So it is far from unprecedented.

For Payton and McCarthy I could only find 1 year of WR coach in college and neither immediately jumped to QB coach so I'm not sure I love that comparison if that's the extent, but the Shanahan parallel does seem pretty good. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. It does seem more common than I assumed.
    erik2690
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:47 am
  • I too was stoked about the possibility of Zorn coming into our system.

Can’t say this is bad but I’m sure not stoked.

:{(
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am
  • Would of like Zorn Also.
    The office of Thomas and Chancellor specializing in Defense.
    thegreeninyoureye
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:17 am
  • Sweet, do your thing Dave. Don't know much about him, but I know I'll give him a chance.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:25 am
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.

It's how Pete seems to operate. With some exceptions, he doesn't normally go for well-known guys, and likes to hire from within.

Frankly, I think it's a reach back to our roots, get young guys in that are hungry to prove themselves. High risk, maybe, but could be high reward. Plus, I kind of like the "cross training" of a QB coach that understands what the WRs are doing.

Having said all that, Zorn would have been a cool add.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 am
  • This hire definitely caught me by surprise. I'm not saying that Canales won't necessarily turn out to be a good QB coach for Russell Wilson ... but I'm certainly scratching my head, trying to figure this one out (and I know just about everyone else is as well).

Like a lot of people, I was very excited about the prospect of Jim Zorn -- I personally think he is exactly the guy that Russell really needs. I think he would have been amazing in that capacity -- a guy who's a Seahawk legend and would be both an amazingly positive force (ala Pete Carroll) ... but also push and challenge Russell as well. He's a great QB coach who did a lot for Hasselbeck and with his pedigree, I thought that made a ton of sense.

This one ... I was caught flat footed. Canales has never played the QB position. So, I'm trying to figure out how this makes sense. From my perspective, I think that what he really is going to be ... is that positive rah, rah guy who will tell Wilson what his receivers are thinking on a given play (and from that perspective, that's an interesting angle. Maybe that will turn out to be a good thing). I believe what this truly signals ... is that Brian Schottenheimer (for all intents and purposes) will be the real QB coach for Russell Wilson. He's the one who's truly going to be in his ear. And we'll see how that pans out.

In the end, I'm willing to give Canales the benefit of the doubt ... but I will fully admit that I'm a bit disappointed. We'll see how this all shakes out.
    Hawkscanner
    * NET Sage *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 am
  • QB coacheck for one year at El Camino College in 2008 according to Wikipedia. Was also an OC coach. FWIW
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:I wonder if Nate Carroll becomes WR coach.

Not sure about that, but I am sure about 1 thing. Anyone with Carroll for a last name, does have impunity on this staff.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am
  • Damn. I wanted Zorn cause I’m still horny for Zorny. ;)
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:30 am
  • I Wanted Zorn too. Thought he would be good to give Russell a new voice.

I will say this for Canales, though. He should be able to help Russell get on the same page with his WRs better because for the last 3 years he has been coaching them and he knows how they think. Not sure what that looks like, but it can only help, right?
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 am
  • I wish his last name was Caojones
    OneLofaTatupu
    * NET Shrink *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 am
  • Schottenheimer is going to be the defacto QB coach. Canales is being given the title and will primarily assist, I'd imagine.
    Mojambo
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 am
  • I’m not against this move. Like McVay and Shanahan, they were unknown uncommodities that eventually became successes in this league. In fact, if he ends up being the o-coordinator in a few years I wouldn’t hate that either. I love seeing young fresh minds be given a chance, as opposed to old names like Norv Turner, etc
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:28 am
  • Pete Carroll knowledge of football > Fans knowledge
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 am
  • I remember Jim Zorn watching practices at the practice facility as much as five years ago. Someone in the organization does not want Jim Zorn part of the organization.
    Proud Member of the .Net Old Farts Society
    Bigpumpkin
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am
  • What a disappointing hire compared to the possibility of bringing in Zorn. Perhaps Zorn's personality is a bit too strong and unique for Pete. Pete likes those qualities in his players, but not his coaches apparently.
    CalgaryHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:24 am
  • Great hire! I knew a guy like him back in college.
    "Sometimes, guys can't hang with what's expected for one reason or another, their growth, their development and all that, and the best thing I can tell you is that they're not here."
    - Big Balls Pete
    NFSeahawks628
    NET Veteran

Location: Born: Tacoma, WA Current Location: Tally, Seminole Country (Road Hawk)

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:I remember Jim Zorn watching practices at the practice facility as much as five years ago. Someone in the organization does not want Jim Zorn part of the organization.

Or coaching somewhere in the NFL?! He hasn't been in the league for 4 years. It might be that its on him. Retired??
    Go Hawks!
    oldhawkfan
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:04 am
  • Does Zorn even want to coach anymore? And even if the answer is yes, does he even want to be a position coach? We're talking about a guy that has been an NFL head coach and almost certainly has enough money to live quite comfortably for the rest of his life without ever having to work again.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:26 am
  • 1. We don't even know if he wanted to come coach here.
    2. We don't even know if he was offered the job.
    3. Just because fans wants him to be the QB coach because he's Jim Zorn, doesn't automatically mean he would be a great hire.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:31 am
  • Another interesting fact from Wiki -

He played college football at Azusa Pacific University, then a NAIA program in Azusa, California. In his college career, Canales recorded 27 receptions for 293 yards and one touchdown. He graduated in 2002 from Azusa Pacific with a degree in business administration.

Can't go wrong with someone from the home of the Nigerian Nightmare...
    DangerousDoug
    NET Rookie

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:51 am
  • I think Jim Zorn would be a Pete Carroll distraction, Carroll's name is big, not as big as Holmgren's was, Zorn is by all accounts legendary here. There may also be a philosophical conflict as well.

Not mention heir apparent conversations since Carroll's retirement has already been thrown out there as well as many have said he has to come thru this next season or there could be changes made. Having Zorn who has HC experience on the staff and a name here may not be what he wants.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:58 pm
  • This pisses me off!

Pete Carroll once again drops the ball on the importance of a position! He does this repeatedly throughout his career.
    "Let's compete! Let's be the best we can be!"

"Well, except for the kicker and the long snapper, they're not important, and the QB Coach, that's no big deal either."

And the one that burns me to this day.

"What about playing in the heat and humidity in San Diego?"

Pete: "They have to play in it too."

Yes, because people who live in that environment are no more prepared than people who live in the PNW where there's a lot of overcast skies and rain.

Here's an idea Pete, come up to the North Slope of Alaska with me in January, and let's go for a walk at -65F. "It's no big deal, ivotuk has to be outside in that weather too."

I'll never forget that game with people, who are dying in the heat, standing there, holding white boards over the Seahawks players for shade.

Canales is going to give Russell Wilson the expertise he needs as a Scrambling QB? He's going to Coach RW HARD with all of his years of experience playing QB in the NFL?

Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

:34853_doh:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy

http://ivotuk.com/
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:1. We don't even know if he wanted to come coach here.
    2. We don't even know if he was offered the job.
    3. Just because fans wants him to be the QB coach because he's Jim Zorn, doesn't automatically mean he would be a great hire.

He would LOVE to be Russell Wilson's QB coach, per Brock Huard. He has been HOPING that he would be offered the position because he would JUMP at the chance. Per Brock Huard.

He has had success with Matthew Hasselbeck and Brock Huard. Brock LOVED him as his QB coach.

Brock Huard: "Jim Zorn is intimidated by NO ONE. He would coach Russell Wilson hard and get the best out of him."

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Coudlve had todd haley
    RussB
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:24 pm
  • I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:34 pm
  • Brock: what it's like to play under Jim Zorn

With reports that the Seahawks could be targeting Jim Zorn as their QB coach Brock talks about how he'd coach Russell Wilson differently than we've seen.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... k+and+Salk

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:36 pm
  • Sean Salisbury on how to coach Russell Wilson

Danny, Dave, and Moore are joined by NFL analyst Sean Salisbury who lets the guys know how he would coach a quarterback like Russell Wilson.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... +and+Moore

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:39 pm
  • FlyHawksFly wrote:I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Nobody's asking him to be a QB. I want him as a QB coach.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Offensive Coordinator? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Experience in the NFL? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

I don't see how an NFL QB can look up to a WR Coach for advice.

ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:06 pm
  • Fans complain all season about needing massive changes.
    Now we have them, and people are angry because they didn't pick who THEY wanted.
    My goodness, let's see how it plays out.
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:14 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

Pete wants to pull all the strings himself.

Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:23 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    FlyHawksFly wrote:I lot of whining about a a guy who hasn't been in the league for years. The last few years for Zorn in the NFL showed the game has passed him by. Just because he has a name you all recognize doesn't mean he would be a good QB in this day and age.

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

Sorry, missed a "coach" in there.

Lots of successful coaches on the offensive side of the ball come up through that progression. When I meant the game has passed him by, I didn't mean physically, I meant mentally. Just go throw in some tape of his last season coaching. Don't want that ANYWHERE near Russell or this offense.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:34 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Russell has had occasional struggles throwing the ball on bad weather days. It would be nice if he had someone that could help him improve on that.

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

Zorn played in the Kingdome.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm
  • Chapow wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

Uuummmm... pretty sure Zorn never played a single NFL game outdoors in the PNW environment on crappy rainy days.

And practiced outdoors the other 357 days a year in Kirkland.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:36 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Chapow wrote:
    ivotuk wrote:Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

He was quite clearly not talking about practice unless he worded his post very, very poorly.

Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm
  • I don't know the impact a QB coach brings, I would think the OC would have a bigger influence in drawing up plays, positioning people in spaces and helping Russ out. The QB coach would just take that and keep throwing the concepts as reps for a QB to get through his progressions. For a QB like Russ, I think he has all the necessary acumen, he just needs some plays that would put him in a position to win, which is having a new OC would be my thought.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:

Too bad there wasn't somebody who has played NFL QB in the PNW environment, on crappy, rainy days, somebody who scrambled and kept plays alive with good success on an offense with mediocre talent. Someone like that would be PERFECT as Russell's QB Coach.

You mean the crappy, rainy days in the Kingdome? And the last thing Russ needs is help or advice on keeping plays alive.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:22 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:

Experience:

QB coach? Check

Head Coach? Check.

Dave Canales experience?

WR Coach.

Can you see how a player might look up to a Bill Walsh? Paul Brown? Vince Lombardy?

none of those guys even played pro ball.....
    NoChops
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm
  • Seymour wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Only when the weather was good, if it turned bad they would go inside the inflatable bubble, you know the big white thing in this picture.
    http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/07/16/date-seahawks-open-first-training-camp-new-kirkland-facility

Nobody practices 357 days a year.
    Megatron
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am
  • Megatron wrote:
    Seymour wrote:
    Chapow wrote:

Only when the weather was good, if it turned bad they would go inside the inflatable bubble, you know the big white thing in this picture.
    http://www.seahawks.com/news/2013/07/16/date-seahawks-open-first-training-camp-new-kirkland-facility

Nobody practices 357 days a year.

Yes, admittedly an exaggeration. Point is they only play 8 games per year indoors in the Kingdome.. But...we are both wrong anyway. That was built in 1986, 2 years after Zorn left. They practiced in Cheney during all of Zorn's years here, so yes, he was well acclimated to playing in all weather conditions as the original post stated.
    Seymour
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:56 am
  • Is he tall enough to be the QB coach?
    ImTheScientist wrote:This guy is the closest thing to beast mode we will ever see. You got a glimpse of that yesterday. He was instantly my favorite player when they signed him. Give the dude a chance and don't overreact or overthink preseason. Go Hawks. Lacy will rush for 1,100 and 10TDs. Bend the knee.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:44 am
  • Fans after the first incomplete pass: See, they should have hired Zorn! Pete doesn't know a thing about football!
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:03 pm
  • sutz wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Not saying things will go badly, but our coaching hires sure have been low key/underwhelming.

It's how Pete seems to operate. With some exceptions, he doesn't normally go for well-known guys, and likes to hire from within.

Frankly, I think it's a reach back to our roots, get young guys in that are hungry to prove themselves. High risk, maybe, but could be high reward. Plus, I kind of like the "cross training" of a QB coach that understands what the WRs are doing.

Having said all that, Zorn would have been a cool add.

This is precisely how I felt about it too.
    I don't think Wilson needs a whole lot of coaching with his Mechanics or the like, but it may be that Canales can offer up some insight to how best to optimize the strengths & of his receivers with timing routs etc.
    I think Jim Zorn could have imparted some tips on how to read Defenses a little better though.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information