Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Thoughts on Kaepernick, Lacy, Off-season

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Thoughts on Kaepernick, Lacy, Off-season
Fri May 19, 2017 5:10 pm
  • So I haven't been following closely this off-season, have officially lost faith in the Seahawk's Championship potential with Bevell/Cable being seemingly immortal at their job positions despite all of their problems year after year (especially without Lynch and a healthy Wilson which carried their system like few if no others could of from the start).

But that's not to say I don't still have some hope... I just need to see it on the field. Honestly I don't care too much about what happens with the Seahawks right now until I see that special something ON THE FIELD that they have been missing ever since their last Super Bowl appearance.

Just gotta say I'm not too happy about what I do see when checking ESPN today...

Kaepernick on the Seahawks? NOOOOOO. Let me repeat that PLEASE GOD NO. We already have the underlying signs of team chemistry issues with Sherman's problems last year. Bennett seems increasingly likely to cause issues himself these days... I don't think Kaepernick has EVER been a good leader. I personally NEVER put him in the category with Wilson for elite QB's even the 1-2 years Kap looked ok on paper, just watching him you could see he just doesn't have "IT" like Wilson does. The last thing we need is another anti-authority, bad attitude, toxic cancer in our locker room.

When it comes to team atmosphere contributed by the player Kaepernick would be like a toxic concoction brew mix borrowing the worst parts from Harvin (angry, unfocused, entitled, selfish), Lynch (wants to just do his own thing), Sherman (last year), Tate (bone head sometimes). I guess I'm struggling to put this into words but in my opinion Kaepernick would be an absolutely god awful addition to our team in terms of the team chemistry and atmosphere he would contribute. I just don't think he has any place on a winning organization. Unlike those others with certain negative personality traits I don't think Kaepernick has ANY good ones when it comes to being a football leader. Furthermore he shouldn't see time on the field unless Wilson gets injured, he will just be a distraction and I pray he comes no where close to our organization.

Everyone remembers all the times Kaepernick would just throw it up in Shermans area time and time again right? Do we really want THAT as our QB? He seems like the exact opposite of what we want at QB with our defensive focus. We need someone smart, reliable, with good touch and accuracy. Don't even get me started as to what Kap would like like behind our Offensive Line *shivers*.

As for Eddie Lacey not sure how I feel about this guy on our team so far. He at least has my respect as a player and I hope to see good things from him despite the incentives in his contract which basically say "Please Eddie don't be a lazy fatty". The one thing I don't like about Lacey is that he is coming off of injury and that the year before that he played 15 games but only had 758 yards which is significantly less than the vast majority of Lynches seasons. Makes me wonder if Lacey the last 2 years is a sign of things to come (downhill). He still has a 4.4 yards per attempt rushing average which is just above Lynch's 4.3 so I have hope Lacey can continue his production here but I'm more scared about our Offensive Line than the RBs.

Really hopeful that some of our injured guys can come back strong. Quite concerned with what happened to Wilson, Earl Thomas, and Tyler Lockette. Hopefully our Offense and Defense can both step up their game and play good supportive football because I don't think either group can put the team on their shoulders by themselves anymore.
    Tokadub
    NET Veteran

• *Lacy
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Lockett*
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

• Meh, just because it's talked about, doesn't mean it's gonna' happen. And he's a hell of a lot better than Boykin.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

• The O-line is going to be top 10 this season. No need to worry about that.
    massari
    NET Veteran

• Green Bay is a pass-centric team Lacy in shape is a load. Before the injury he was great the yards weren't there because he wasn't featured like Lynch and how he will be with the Seahawks.
    Josea16
    NET Starter

• Tokadub I thought you died
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

• Holy crap.
    Tokadub is back in the house.

:{)
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• I think Kap brings something that would improve the team atmosphere. Kap competing against Russ. He won't win and we all know it but it will do a lot of good for others to see Russ take the next steps toward greatness. All the while having a backup qb that can win games if need be.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Where does the Kaepernick being cancer come from? I never heard him being a real problem with the 49ers, even though he had cause to be. Look who they started ahead of him for god's sake.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Wenhawk wrote:I think Kap brings something that would improve the team atmosphere. Kap competing against Russ. He won't win and we all know it but it will do a lot of good for others to see Russ take the next steps toward greatness. All the while having a backup qb that can win games if need be.

I agree with that. I never heard a thing about him being a bad teammate or a locker room cancer quite the opposite in fact. Yes he is an activist so what? Gives the media a bone to pick on while actually leaving team alone. Perfect tradeoff I'd say. Alto pushes Keapernick to his ultimate limit and will improve him to having a chance to be elite. Serious trade bait there. The Seahawks mean what they say and do what they say, competition forever.
    Josea16
    NET Starter

• Josea16 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:I think Kap brings something that would improve the team atmosphere. Kap competing against Russ. He won't win and we all know it but it will do a lot of good for others to see Russ take the next steps toward greatness. All the while having a backup qb that can win games if need be.

I agree with that. I never heard a thing about him being a bad teammate or a locker room cancer quite the opposite in fact. Yes he is an activist so what? Gives the media a bone to pick on while actually leaving team alone. Perfect tradeoff I'd say. Also pushes Keapernick to his ultimate limit and will improve him enough to have a chance to be elite. Serious trade bait there. The Seahawks mean what they say and do what they say, competition forever.
    Josea16
    NET Starter

• People are projecting heir own thoughts on what Kaepernick does to a locker room. If we go with what NFL players think how about asking his teammates....

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday ... mmates/amp

Seahawks came out as a team and held arms because of what Kaepernick did. Without getting political it disgusts me that people don't want him on the team but wanted us to draft Mixon. Seahawks players would embrace him and rally around him and his courage.

If AFFORDABLE he is a HUGE upgrade as backup. He could start on 10 plus teams SUPPORTED by facts and not feelings
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:People are projecting heir own thoughts on what Kaepernick does to a locker room. If we go with what NFL players think how about asking his teammates....

https://www.google.com/amp/ftw.usatoday ... mmates/amp

Seahawks came out as a team and held arms because of what Kaepernick did. Without getting political it disgusts me that people don't want him on the team but wanted us to draft Mixon. Seahawks players would embrace him and rally around him and his courage.

If AFFORDABLE he is a HUGE upgrade as backup. He could start on 10 plus teams SUPPORTED by facts and not feelings

Exactly. I am white but I get his view and what he's trying to do but it's the wrong way even though I support him. By the way with the right coaching and maybe offense he would be top 10. Russell is top 5 but competition is never bad right? I so love my team because yeah Atlanta and San Francisco are totally trying to copy the Seahawks... good job but the Seahawks aren't doing the 4-3 under, they are going Big Nickel 4-2-5. Pete wanted to do this for at least 2 years and given this draft was defense heavy........
    Josea16
    NET Starter

• mikeak wrote:Without getting political it disgusts me that people don't want him on the team but wanted us to draft Mixon.

Do we actually know if those Venn Diagrams intersect? I mean, I didn't want Mixon and I don't want Kaep. So I'm at least one example that doesn't fit your mudslinging of trying to paint people who don't want Kaep as being pro-woman-beater.

I would suggest it is more likely the case that there are people who wanted both, but not many who wanted one over the other. To want either one would be all about on-field production and not be concerned about any other intangibles or off-field issues.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Without getting political it disgusts me that people don't want him on the team but wanted us to draft Mixon.

Do we actually know if those Venn Diagrams intersect? I mean, I didn't want Mixon and I don't want Kaep. So I'm at least one example that doesn't fit your mudslinging of trying to paint people who don't want Kaep as being pro-woman-beater.

I would suggest it is more likely the case that there are people who wanted both, but not many who wanted one over the other. To want either one would be all about on-field production and not be concerned about any other intangibles or off-field issues.

He's never had an off-field "issue" . . . other than exercising his First Amendment right.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

• I have a good feeling about Lacy. He runs hard.

Kaepernick. Nah. If he is on the team that will bum me out. Don't like him. Never want to see him in a Seahawks uni. There are reasons he flamed out in SF. Lets find a up and comer at back up QB.

If #3 did go down I would rather see anyone else in there besides CK. I do have football reasons... but also I don't like his attitude or style.
    Go Hawks.
    Sealake80
    NET Starter

• A mixon signing would have had me debating turning the TV off. A Kaep signing would have the same effect but for much different reasons. Kaep certainly isn't a bad person with his protestations.

I don't see a football downside to signing Kaep and I don't see it causing any issue with teammates.

It will cause an issue with a certain segment of fans of which I am a part, but kaepernick, the Seahawks, and the NFL are certainly factoring that in to their calculus.
    hawk45
    NET Veteran

• I'm pretty sure Kap was one of the most respected players on the 49ers roster by Seahawks players. Bennett defends him all the time and you always see Sherm and Baldwin embracing him after games.

Personally, I think Kap is an idiot. However, he is without question the best backup in the NFL (I'm not sold on Grappolo as his body of work is so minimal). I'm all for the Seahawks signing him. If he was our backup last year, Russell would have sat out a few of those games last year he shouldn't have been playing in. Trevone Boykin has no future in the NFL.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• The whole Kaep thing was wildly overblown IMHO. Hell, it took people like 3-4 games to even notice he was kneeling instead of standing. Kaep certainly didn't go out of his way to make a big deal out of it, and when he was asked it is my recollection that he was pretty straightforward and matter of fact about it. The press and some of the more loud mouthed segments of the fans were the ones who ran with it and tried to make it some kind of a federal issue.

Meanwhile, you don't really hear a lot of evidence that he was some kind of a locker room cancer, even after he was demoted.

I'll admit that I have been somewhat against bringing him in, but I'm actually warming to the idea. The front office will hash out the money part of it it it happens. It's what they do.

Lacy is a bit of a concern, in that he may have looked a little less than fully motivated, and his weight problems might be a part of that. That said, being injured can limit one's workouts and ability to maintain perfect conditioning. He made the first cutoff, let's see how he does going forward.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• hawknation2017 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Without getting political it disgusts me that people don't want him on the team but wanted us to draft Mixon.

He's never had an off-field "issue" . . . other than exercising his First Amendment right.

If it's not an "on the field" thing it is, by definition, off the field. You may not take issue with it, but that doesn't mean it isn't an issue.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Don't want Kaepernick. Not now not ever. I wouldn't want him on this team if he was better than Wilson.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• HawkGA wrote:
    hawknation2017 wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:

If it's not an "on the field" thing it is, by definition, off the field. You may not take issue with it, but that doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

I'm not saying whether I take issue with it. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend your right to say it." It's just important to point out that he has never been accused of a criminal act, so the Mixon comparison is irrelevant. That's the difference between exercising protected political speech and committing a crime.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

• I agree with that. I believe the more precise terminology for what you are referring to is "Character Issue".

Personally, if I were the Seahawks I wouldn't sign him just because of the Beats commercial, but that's just me.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Kap will come with a circus weather you want it or not, not worth the potential distraction IMO, not to mention he will never sign a vet minimum contract and that's about all he would ever be offered.

GO HAWKS!!!
    For those that choose to attend the temple "QWEST" bring your best and be LOUD.

The opposition has no hope!!
    12HawkFan
    NET Starter

• Clearly OP doesn't like Kap's politics.

Kap is a perfect fit for a backup QB in the Seahawk's offensive system if required. This is a run first set up the pass system. Kap is athletic, runs well and could be very effective weapon doing the read option.

Kapaernick wasn't a distraction in the locker room, and hell his antics probably did the 49er franchise by distracting the press from solely focusing on the horrifying management and coaching staffs last year. By all accounts his teammates didn't have any problems with him.

And for what its worth the guy did something that very few people ever do - he stood up for a cause he believed in, made use of a forum he had access too, and managed to have his voice heard while doing it in an understated, respectful yet powerful way.
    Vancanhawksfan
    NET Rookie

• Vancanhawksfan wrote:
    And for what its worth the guy did something that very few people ever do - he stood up for a cause he believed in, made use of a forum he had access too, and managed to have his voice heard while doing it in an understated, respectful yet powerful way.

And even then it was still a problem to them, he's a jack ass, disrespecting the military, etc...
    Never mind all the "vets 4 Kaep" that trended on Twitter.
    They all looked past what he was actually protesting, never addressed cops killing unarmed colored folks, deflected and made it into something it wasn't.
    I see these clowns on the FB making these hateful claims while their is picture is there for us all to see. And they all have a common trait.
    Probably are the same folks who will say racism doesn't exist in today's, of all times, 'Murrica.
    The Breh
    NET Rookie

• HawkGA wrote:

It doesn't intersect for everyone. It does for others. I cannot elaborate on the hypocrisy of others as it ties to first and second amendment while wanting a guy not allowed to work for exercising his rights. But that is a political discussion not allowed
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• The Breh wrote:
    Vancanhawksfan wrote:

And even then it was still a problem to them, he's a jack ass, disrespecting the military, etc...
    Never mind all the "vets 4 Kaep" that trended on Twitter.
    They all looked past what he was actually protesting, never addressed cops killing unarmed colored folks, deflected and made it into something it wasn't.
    I see these clowns on the FB making these hateful claims while their is picture is there for us all to see. And they all have a common trait.
    Probably are the same folks who will say racism doesn't exist in today's, of all times, 'Murrica.

It's hilarious (actually, its not but you know what I mean!). The worst thing you hear is about how Kap made this protest all about him, and brought his politics into sport and that its causing a distraction to the team, media, fans etc.

No.

Politics has imposed itself into our sports when you have a national anthem played at the beginning of it. Seriously - there is no need to play a national anthem at the start of a sporting event. Anthems were played at US sporting events during WWI as a means of building up nationalism/jingoism and communicating propaganda at a time of war, and the ritual stuck after the war was over.

By forcing people to listen, stand, hold your hand over your heart etc in the playing of a national anthem during a sporting event is imposing a government's politics upon the people attending. Its not the other way around just because someone decides they don't want to drop to their knees/tow the party line. Its not like Kap was pi55ing on the flag or burning it, he wasn't communicating anything disrespectful to any people or group of people. HE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING (other than not conform like the sheeple who would pressure him to do as such).
    Vancanhawksfan
    NET Rookie

• Obviously he is free to do what he wants. Thank God for that. Not liking it and not wanting him on the Seahawks doesn't make anyone anti free speech. That's just stupid.
    Go Hawks.
    Sealake80
    NET Starter

• I'd love to see this happen just to wipe out that portion of the fan base that says, "I've been a fan since day one, and if they sign Kaepernick, I'm done with the team!" This team doesn't need those kinds of fans anyway, and our bandwagon could use some thinning out anyway. If it just so happens to be that portion of our fanbase who believe that "Kaepernick is bad for 'Merica! And he needs to cut that damn goofy hair!" Good. Them and their custom detailed Seahawks monster trucks won't be missed. At all. These are likely the same fans who have completely turned on John and Pete and the team because they haven't won the Super Bowl every year that they've been here. Good riddance to that scum.

I've spoken to a few military folk about this, and ALL of them have said that the reason they defend this country is to allow people like Kaep, and you and I, to freely express themselves in this great country. Even they understand that he's merely exercising his free rights that make this country so great. Anyone who hates Kaepernick, I'm glad for youe sake that you weren't around when Ali was around. He was 10 times the public advocate that Kaepernick is.

Would he be a distraction? Probably, at first. But after a while everyone would man up and get over it. However, I don't want to see the team sign him just to appease idiots like Kshama Sawant, another walking waste of existence. I hope Paul, Pete, anr John got together and laughed maniacally as they burned the letter she sent them begging them to sign Kaepernick for her own social reasons. POS couldnt even vote yes on the stadium deal to help bring back the Sonics, but she'll push for the 'Hawks to sign a backup QB? Hit the bricks, lady, this town doesn't need you at all.

If Pete and John decide to sign him for football purposes, then sign me up. He's 10 times the QB Boykin is, right now, and that would improve the team and that's why I'm all about. Who knows, maybe he rebuilds his image, performs admirably, and gets us a comp pick next year when he signs elsewhere. This team, and every other NFL team, has employed wife beaters (J. Brown), future murderers (Bierria, Kane), and all other types of literal human waste. Kaepernick is a saint by comparison. I hope this happens so that people are forced to grow up, and get over it.

Gooooooooo Seahawks!
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• mikeak wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:

It doesn't intersect for everyone. It does for others. I cannot elaborate on the hypocrisy of others as it ties to first and second amendment while wanting a guy not allowed to work for exercising his rights. But that is a political discussion not allowed

You do understand the big difference between not wanting to hire somebody and not allowing them to work, right?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• The Hawks need a talented back up QB. The team has had the desire to get one. But just like their desire to get a solid OL it doesn't always work out. I'm glad they didn't force the draft.

Kaep is a bit of a pipe dream. I doubt he comes down from his salary demands but it would be really cool if he did.

I'd love to see the cleansing of the bandwagon.
    Thomas Paine: To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• HawkGA wrote:
    mikeak wrote:
    HawkGA wrote:

You do understand the big difference between not wanting to hire somebody and not allowing them to work, right?

Political correctness run amok.
    hawknation2017
    NET Starter

• Seafan wrote:The Hawks need a talented back up QB. The team has had the desire to get one. But just like their desire to get a solid OL it doesn't always work out. I'm glad they didn't force the draft.

Kaep is a bit of a pipe dream. I doubt he comes down from his salary demands but it would be really cool if he did.

I'd love to see the cleansing of the bandwagon.

I think it's just one of those positions they don't see the benefit in spending a lot of money on. And I agree with them. It's not that having a quality backup isn't important, it is, but it's also a multi-million dollar luxury that they just can't afford. I think we saw this trend start when they stopped carrying a 3rd string QB. The only reason this became an issue, I think, is because Boykin was a bonehead.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• Any veteran addition to the QB room is going to be football based but also in the context of ROI. At the veteran minimum plus incentives, Kaepernick is intriguing as an insurance policy if Wilson were to be injured. The higher his price, the more you have to look at him in relation to Boykin, who also falls into the criteria of having a similar skill set to Wilson.

Social activism aside, people are glossing over some big issues with Kaepernick on the field. His accuracy is wildly inconsistent and his pocket presence is weak. His best attribute is his running ability. People gloss over the fact that he played poorly for a big stretch before getting benched in favor of Gabbert for parts of 2015 and 2016.
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• JTB wrote:Any veteran addition to the QB room is going to be football based but also in the context of ROI. At the veteran minimum plus incentives, Kaepernick is intriguing as an insurance policy if Wilson were to be injured. The higher his price, the more you have to look at him in relation to Boykin, who also falls into the criteria of having a similar skill set to Wilson.

Social activism aside, people are glossing over some big issues with Kaepernick on the field. His accuracy is wildly inconsistent and his pocket presence is weak. His best attribute is his running ability. People gloss over the fact that he played poorly for a big stretch before getting benched in favor of Gabbert for parts of 2015 and 2016.

Nobody wants Kap to come here to compete for the starting position. He will be the backup. Name one backup QB in the NFL who doesn't have serious flaws? Backup QBs are backup QBs for a reason.....
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• When Kaepernick was drafted I was very disappointed that we didn't get him because of his strong arm, athletic abilities, and leadership. Russell Wilson is, of course, a better quarterback, so I got over my disappointment quickly.

I don't agree with the way that Kaepernick expressed his political views, but I respect the courage that it took for him to do it, and there are a number of Seahawk team leaders who have expressed their support for him. I have never heard his teammates on the 49ers say he wasn't a good teammate, or that he was a locker-room "cancer." On the contrary, I remember stories about how well he got along with his teammates, including Ricardo Lockette. I have little doubt that if he joins the Hawks he will be all-in.

Kaepernick's abilities as a runner might create some huge opportunities for the Hawks if he is used creatively in the offense, perhaps as an H-back for flea-flicker style plays. He could be used in the 4th quarter after we've built a good lead to help keep Wilson fresh during the season. He would not be your average back-up.

If Kaepernick is willing to take a backup salary then we should grab him.
    godawg
    NET Starter

• Josea16 wrote:
    Josea16 wrote:
    Wenhawk wrote:I think Kap brings something that would improve the team atmosphere. Kap competing against Russ. He won't win and we all know it but it will do a lot of good for others to see Russ take the next steps toward greatness. All the while having a backup qb that can win games if need be.

I agree with that. I never heard a thing about him being a bad teammate or a locker room cancer quite the opposite in fact. Yes he is an activist so what? Gives the media a bone to pick on while actually leaving team alone. Perfect tradeoff I'd say. Also pushes Keapernick to his ultimate limit and will improve him enough to have a chance to be elite. Serious trade bait there. The Seahawks mean what they say and do what they say, competition forever.

Cancer is the wrong word... the word is FOCUS, as in being "ALL IN". You can't be ALL IN if you have something else intruding in your mind. If you worry, focus, ponder, whatever... social issues, BLM, et al, you take away from your job, you take away from the game. If you worry, focus, etc... in a way that your team members also lose focus then yeah, I guess you are a cancer. Just an irregular mole, but if you don't nip the sucker in the bud then you've got metastasized esophageal cancer, and it's bye-bye hug time.

Pass the dude by, unless there's a way to get Kaep's mind separated from his activist honey girl friend's mind. She's the real new Yoko, not Ciera. For a pro athlete, a girl like that is bad news cuz she blows his focus out the window.
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

• mikeak wrote:It doesn't intersect for everyone. It does for others. I cannot elaborate on the hypocrisy of others as it ties to first and second amendment while wanting a guy not allowed to work for exercising his rights. But that is a political discussion not allowed

Second amendment? Kaep not allowed to WORK cuz of the second amendment?
    I musta fell off my chair and hurt myself. I don't see Kaep as a second amendment warrior.

( Not politics, but history and civics )
    Journalism is dead, it's been replaced by creative writing aka fake news.
    Critical thinking is pretty much dead too. I miss the hearsay rule.
    The concept of "ethic" has been stripped from the Journalism curriculum.
    Rocket
    * .NET Attention Whore *

• ^^^Questioning his FOCUS is BS. Some players are focused on fast cars and loose women when they are off the field, some are focused on their endorsement deals, some are focused on giving back to the community (whether to promote their image or actually give back), some are playing video games. Are you suggesting we avoid all players with off field interests because they aren't focused on football all of the time? Grow up.
    Sun Tzu
    NET Bench Warmer

Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Steve2222 wrote:
    JTB wrote:Any veteran addition to the QB room is going to be football based but also in the context of ROI. At the veteran minimum plus incentives, Kaepernick is intriguing as an insurance policy if Wilson were to be injured. The higher his price, the more you have to look at him in relation to Boykin, who also falls into the criteria of having a similar skill set to Wilson.

Nobody wants Kap to come here to compete for the starting position. He will be the backup. Name one backup QB in the NFL who doesn't have serious flaws? Backup QBs are backup QBs for a reason.....

It's not the majority but I have seen multiple posts advocating that Kaepernick would push Wilson to compete for playing time and there was one saying CK would eventually take the job.

That aside, I totally agree that CK has significant flaws that make him a backup instead of a starter. My point is that Boykin has similar flaws. It really comes down to price. How much would Seattle pay for a more proven QB to backup Wilson and is that in the realm of what Kaepernick will play for?
    GO HAWKS!
    JTB
    NET Veteran

• After reading multiple of threads, most locked about Kaepernick. I have a few thoughts:

1. He is a locker room cancer
    The fact is most players on 9ers roster love or at least like the guy, he was the recipient of 9ers' Len Eshmont Award. This is the write up on that award:
    The Len Eshmont Award, the 49ers most prestigious annual honor, has been given each year to the 49er who best exemplifies the “inspirational and courageous play” of Len Eshmont. A member of the original 1946 49ers team, Eshmont coached at Navy and Virginia following his playing days with the 49ers. Eshmont passed away in 1957.
    Listed below are the 49ers annual Len Eshmont Award winners since its inception in 1957:

But MOST importantly, the award was VOTED by players. Furthermore, our lock room leaders like Bennett is openly voicing their desire to play with Kaep. Sherm and Baldwin embracing him after games, Lock room cancer? Really?

Some flag waving fans have problem with Kaep, that doesn't mean players on Hawks' roster have problem with Kaep.

2. He is unfocused
    Gee, he was busy growing his hair and talking about black people stuff. There are players that are single minded and tunnel visioned but most aren't. Wilson, our QB is a do gooder, so his hospital visits means Wilson has been lacking in focus? Really?

So the negative expressed by some fans are just that they don't like Kaepernick.

There are some issues that could make having Kaep problematic:

1. Lack of touch and accuracy
    Most 9ers WRs especially that sorry receiver found kaep's ball harder to catch, could it be lacking in touch ie too hard? He also lack accuracy, but then some on .net criticized Wilson for lacking in accuracy on long balls too.

2. Reading defense
    Kaep's so so ability in reading defense is well known, he didn't play like someone who has been in the league for as long as he has. That at times led to holding the ball for too long, missing open WR or simply making wrong decisions.

3. Lacking pocket presence
    Liked to run when the pocket is collapsing instead of moving in the pocket. Wilson is ahead of him in pocket presence.

I for one would like Kaep to compete against Wilson and may the best man win. Wilson is VERY GOOD, he carried the team to superbowls. But that could easily be on Kaep's resume if Sherm didn't intercept or lady luck liked the 9ers a bit more. IF, and a BIG IF, Kaep somehow turn himself around and be better than Wilson, that would mean the team will be so good, unbelievably good. I don't foresee Kaep bettering WIlson, but hey why not? All I want is wining, quite sure Paul and Pete feel the same way.
    toffee
    NET Practice Squad

• JTB wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:
    JTB wrote:Any veteran addition to the QB room is going to be football based but also in the context of ROI. At the veteran minimum plus incentives, Kaepernick is intriguing as an insurance policy if Wilson were to be injured. The higher his price, the more you have to look at him in relation to Boykin, who also falls into the criteria of having a similar skill set to Wilson.

It's not the majority but I have seen multiple posts advocating that Kaepernick would push Wilson to compete for playing time and there was one saying CK would eventually take the job.

That aside, I totally agree that CK has significant flaws that make him a backup instead of a starter. My point is that Boykin has similar flaws. It really comes down to price. How much would Seattle pay for a more proven QB to backup Wilson and is that in the realm of what Kaepernick will play for?

Russell Wilson >>>>> Colin Kaepernick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trevone Boykin
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• I was thinking about this a bit more today but from Kaep's perspective. I think the better play for him would be to wait until a starter went down somewhere with injury (Bradford, he's due, right?). He'll probably be able to command a better salary then and have a chance to prove himself in games as opposed to probably taking league minimum to be a backup. I mean, maybe he won't get league minimum but I would think the Hawks wouldn't offer much more than that.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:I was thinking about this a bit more today but from Kaep's perspective. I think the better play for him would be to wait until a starter went down somewhere with injury (Bradford, he's due, right?). He'll probably be able to command a better salary then and have a chance to prove himself in games as opposed to probably taking league minimum to be a backup. I mean, maybe he won't get league minimum but I would think the Hawks wouldn't offer much more than that.

In this case it would be better for us to grab him on a lucrative deal, stash Boykin in the mud somewhere and use Kaep as a bargaining chit for the team with the most needs for a draft pick. It is a slimey way of doing it but I am sure it has been done before. Meh dont really matter, it is only football.
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat. MEOW.......
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Lol. CK would eventually take Wilson's job. Yeah right.
    Go Hawks.
    Sealake80
    NET Starter

• mikeak wrote:I cannot elaborate on the hypocrisy of others as it ties to first and second amendment while wanting a guy not allowed to work for exercising his rights. But that is a political discussion not allowed

The first and second amendments? I can understand (while not agreeing with) an argument related to Kaepernick based on the first amendment right that guarantees free speech, but do you even know what the 2nd amendment is about?

I don't expect everybody to know what each amendment of the bill of rights pertains to, after all, this is a football forum and not a history class. But if you're going to post something that references the Constitution, it helps to know some of the basics.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Next

It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:44 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information