Cassius Marsh as TE while Zach Miller is out?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Cassius Marsh has been begging Pete to play him as TE while Zach is out ...
Could this be a good option? Never seen him play as TE, but his personality let me believe he could do the job for a few weeks ... especially, I don't think he has been used much in defense.

The Seahawks also have RaShaun Allen on the practice squad. He's a 6-4, 250-pound rookie out of Southern. And rookie defensive end Cassius Marsh lined up at tight end a few times at UCLA in goal line situations, catching two touchdown passes.

“Oh yeah, now he has banged on my door a few times,” Carroll said of Marsh. “He’s not as quiet as Garry.”

Source:

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I really don't get why people are worried about injuries or slow development playing in another position. If he's good, I'd be more than happy to give him a shot at TE.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I think he scored a couple of TDs while at UCLA. I'm sure he can catch the ball and block.
I don't know how versatility could hurt him at this point. If he has been begging the coach, then I want to believe he has no issue putting in the extra hours of work to get it done.
Luke Wilson is not a great blocker ... If Cassius can block as much as Luke, I would put him out there for a few plays ...

Jville

Reaction score
Cassius Marsh is an important member of their pass rush and rotation. Luke Wilson (in his press conference) confirmed that it was Garry Gilliam who saw snaps at tight end.
140930-gilliam-600.jpg

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Seahawks-tight-end-shuffle-focuses-on-Luke-Willson-Cooper-Helfet-and-Garry-Gilliam/4c6bc8e6-2b8c-4093-9d9f-df65de6fe65b[/urltargetblank]

chris98251

Reaction score
We need a blocker that can catch, I don't know if Marsh fits the Blocker aspect.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
This is dumb.

Luke Wilson will get his chance to perform plain and simple. We arnt in such dire straits that we are putting a defensive player at TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":3cwsfawi said:
This is dumb.

Luke Wilson will get his chance to perform plain and simple. We arnt in such dire straits that we are putting a defensive player at TE.

Yeah were predictable that way, Sweezy should have stayed on defense as well and never agreed to switch to Guard. :)

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
chris98251":tzqn1w7q said:
Tech Worlds":tzqn1w7q said:
This is dumb.

Yeah were predictable that way, Sweezy should have stayed on defense as well and never agreed to switch to Guard. :)

Your apples, my oranges.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Gilliam will be used as an extra blocking TE if needed. Who knows, he might even catch--he was a TE in college after all.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
If anything you have to admire Marsh's attitude over it and wanting the opportunity.

Secondly, the doubters in this thread are hilarious:

If Marsh wants to put in the extra work that is up to him (and Carroll). I'm not gonna say, as a TE what he can and cannot do because idk but neither do any of you. For all you guys know he could be serviceable. So, its not dumb... if he has the talent and he wants to use it and coaches allow it.

Also, I don't agree with Roland's logic that it will hamstring Marsh's development. Some of the best player's on the team are great because they had countering perspectives. Sherman (CB/WR), Chancellor (S/QB) and Sweezy (G/DT). So, Marsh having a TE background in HS probably has helped him be a better DE in the long-run. So no matter what side of the ball he's on, that perspective is a learning opportunity and a growing experience.

Not going to say that Marsh at TE is a great idea or that I'm advocating it but I think some of you have short-sighted responses which come off as "blah blah blah I know better than you, know better than the team, and I know better than the player in question".

I doubt the Seahawks will entertain Marsh at TE in the interim that Miller is absent. Yet, I believe if Marsh is persistence enough in his desire and shows the talent and ability to handle the capabilities of playing TE. I think the team will give him the opportunity to maximize his versatility at some point.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1l768ir2 said:
This is dumb.

and he is a good player.

Uffda

Reaction score
Gilliam ? was TE once upon a time ...

They have TE's that can catch , they now need one that is a certainty more solid at blocking, Zach could do both very well.

The way the online has been in the past few seasons, blocking is more important .

If he could shed a block and catch one in a set that has Harvin and Lynch among others in it ? ... Glorious.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Should be interesting who they play at 3rd TE - marsh, giliam, allen, or somebody off the street. Gilliam seems intriguing for no other reason than watching a 300+ pound man catch and run with the ball. If nothing else, Gilliam would have to be the biggest TE in the NFL.

endzorn

Reaction score
chris98251":d3jgrzva said:
Tech Worlds":d3jgrzva said:
This is dumb.

Did you just compare a switch that had the benefit of an entire offseason of instruction and practice to a one week switch for a player who would spend almost the entirety of his time practicing on the defensive side of the ball and not tight end?

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't think this will be that complicated. Willson takes Zach's role. Helfet takes Willson's role. Maybe you see Gilliam or Bailey on a few running downs here and there.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I really wish they'd not leaked this surgery so early in the bye week. It really makes for so much speculation.

Pete already said this week, and it was quoted by the OP that Marsh was asking to play, but he added in that Willson will start and Heflet will be the number 2 guy, and we'd use Bailey and even Gilliam as situations call for it. We will miss Zach, but we have enough in the next man up category not to need to be concerned about it. If Marsh was sitting on the bench, then he'd be a likely candidate to sub in at TE, but with him in the rotation on defense, it's best to keep him fresh and ready to play his main position.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3u09p8ot said:
Delay/interrupt his development to play a little offense for fun?

No thanks.
Agreed. We have better options. I'm intrigued by Gilliam and Bailey can certainly fill the roll as well, although i'd prefer the TE at least be a credible threat to catch a pass.

Latest posts