Fantasy football question, help needed

kearly

Reaction score
One thing I've been meaning to track down the last couple of years is a site or database that lists all the fantasy performers from the previous year by their fantasy points total vs. the median amount for their position. This would be really helpful for example if you were trying to decide between drafting say the 6th best RB, versus a super-elite player at a different position.

I'm going to invent a scenario with made up numbers to try to illustrate what I mean.

Say for example, the median RB score is 180, and unnamed RB was coming off a 240 point season, that would make him a +60 player. If the media score for a TE was 100 and an unnamed TE was worth 220, that would make his differential +120. Obviously, the elite RBs are worth the most in terms of differential, but after the top two or three megastar RBs leave the board it's really handy to know these differential numbers to know which player is going to help your team the most.

Granted looking up the median is pretty easy to do, but it's a bit of a clunky process. I'm sure there are some sites out there that have a smarter and more sophisticated way of figuring out how much value a player is going to have vs. the waiver wire.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
One of ESPN's writers does something like this. He calls is Value Based Drafting (VBD) I believe. I think you have to pay for his site though, I've never done it.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Thanks.

I just found an article that does a pretty good job of showing VBD for 2013. It would be nice if they had something for the last three years averaged instead of just 2013, but still, a nice find.

http://www.analyzefantasyfootball.com/2 ... mbers.html

It's too bad Peyton Manning faces the NFC West this year. Last season his VBD was not far removed from being #1 overall pick caliber. My brother ended up getting him in the 4th round in the 10-man league we did together last season, and he had the gall to complain about the pick, lol.

Last year was an up year for WRs. The 1-5 WRs compare well to the 6-10 RBs. #1 WR Josh Gordon had the same VDB score as Jimmy Graham, both were just a little better than #6 RB Eddie Lacy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
there are some flaws with VBD although I think it is useful. Kearly check out "beersheets" and also rotoviz for some good stuff on when to take certain positions. Beersheets are a guy on reddits creation and they are very good for crossing different positions.