Need help with a PC game.

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Need help with a PC game.
Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:53 am
  • So I bought Elder Scrolls: Skyrim last night from Steam. When I tried to play it the lag is so bad that the game is basically unplayable. I'm running it on a PC with the following specs: Windows 7 64-bit, Athlon II X2 220 2.8 GHz, integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE, and 3 GB of RAM. I already have the graphics set to the lowest setting. Any ideas (besides getting a new computer)?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Re: Need help with a PC game.
Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:57 pm
  • So I've had other people tell me my video card is the problem, it's too old to play the game. Considering I bought my computer the same year the game came out I figured it would be ok. Guess I was wrong.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:22 pm
  • Yeah man, sorry to tell you but that 6150 is almost a decade old gpu (released in 2005). Do you know what mobo you have? You might be able to upgrade, though to be honest you probably don't have many great options for upgrading.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:50 pm
  • Video cards vary wildly, the year you bought it is not very relevant. Every year there are GPUs that get released that have performance variances by literally thousands of percentage points. Imagine a typical ingegrated GPU like you have drives the streets like a Toyota Prius, but a top-dollar GPU is a Lamborghini, except that this particular Lambo can drive 3,000 miles per hour.

You can probably spend very little and get a much better GPU if all you want to do is have it be playable on low settings from Craigslist or eBay. We need to know what model of motherboard you have. Open up CPU-Z and go to the Mainboard tab, and tell us what make and model of motherboard it says you have. If you're using an integrated GPU, you should have a free slot on the motherboard for a video card, probably a PCI-Express x16 2.0 slot judging by the processor, which should be an AM3 socket.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:39 pm
  • I know you said you don't want to buy another pc, but now a days it's pretty cheap to build a relatively decent pc.

PCGamer (don't quote me on that) actually built an acceptable machine on a xbox one budget ($500)

$500 being cheap is relative I know, but for a pc that can game, it's dirt cheap. I'll dig up that article again and post it back here when I can find it.

EDIT:

Sorry. It was gamespot, not pcgamer. Here is the article though if you are interested.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/can-we-build-a-gaming-pc-on-a-console-budget/1100-6418829/
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 pm
  • Anyone who builds gaming systems could set you up for a similar price. I built mine for 800 that could play every game I had and have puchased since on ultra high settings.
    Galen96
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 pm
  • Yeah find a buddy who knows how to build them and just buy the parts, buy him/her pizza or something for building it, Id do it for you if you lived in utah
    AshamanMat
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:24 pm
  • Oh, and since you already have a tower, monitor, keyboard mouse and a Windows license that will save you money as well, thats almost $200 of the cost right there, and you "may" be able to use your existing power supply, that depends on how powerful it is.

Ive had my same case (tower) for over 12 years, I just love the thing and dont ever see myself getting a different one.
    AshamanMat
    NET Starter

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information