Elder Scrolls Online

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Elder Scrolls Online
Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:36 pm
  • Anyone thinking of playing this game?

I just preordered the collector's edition.

Just wondering because none that I know irl plays games, if anyone would care to group up, when the game goes live.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Re: Elder Scrolls Online
Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 am
  • I'm still on the fence, about it. I still don't feel they are delivering on what they set out to do. My wife a huge Elder Scrolls homer even strayed away from it.
    Conference Championships: NFC: 2005, 2013
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013
    Superbowl Championships: 2013 XLVIII Final Score: Sea 43 Den 8.. SUCK IT

The Radish
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm: Please don't offend The Fonz like that. :roll:
    :les:
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm
  • I'm a huge MMO junky, even though with work/school I don't get much time anymore.

I am sure it will be a letdown for the hardcore Elder Scroll fans, I like the series but I'm not all wrapped up in the lore so I can look at the game just compared to other MMORPGs:

IMO, it's an MMO with RvR (or AvA) combat, some degree of action combat, and class freedom - that makes it vastly more interesting than anything else on the MMO market right now, IMO.

I'd be down to group up once I buy it. Not sure what alliance I will play for, but I'll probably be using Snohomie as my in-game name.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:05 pm
  • My roommate played the beta for it, and he didn't really go into detail but he said he wasn't really impressed. He is a huge Skyrim fan, but he hasn't played any of the other Elder Scrolls games though.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:06 pm
  • I played the beta for a few hours. It really wasn't great. Not a single thing that jumped out at me as being innovative or even an upgrade over other MMO's that I've played.
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:24 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:I played the beta for a few hours. It really wasn't great. Not a single thing that jumped out at me as being innovative or even an upgrade over other MMO's that I've played.

I've played it a couple hours as well. While it looks nice and everything, it seems relatively boring.

DISCLAIMER: This is my first experience with an MMORPG.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:51 pm
  • Tried playing again this weekend, and I just can't get into it. It feels a lot more like Random MMORPG #973 than an Elder Scrolls game. Love the Elder Scrolls series, but I won't be buying this; which is unfortunate, because I had high hopes for it when it was announced.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:03 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Tried playing again this weekend, and I just can't get into it. It feels a lot more like Random MMORPG #973 than an Elder Scrolls game. Love the Elder Scrolls series, but I won't be buying this; which is unfortunate, because I had high hopes for it when it was announced.

Not sure if you ever played Warhammer Online but I had the same feeling about this beta, that I had about crafting in Warhammer. Just wasn't well thought out.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:27 am
  • Just found out that this weekends beta was a months old version. Since this was a stress test, was much lag and they had to bring the server down for fixes.

They have changed alot of things like being able to skip the starter islands added collision detection, the crates trunks in the world are instanced for each character. Tweaked alot of quests and balanced templates.

The newest build will be tested in about two weeks, and that is the open beta.

Atleast, we got a monkey pet when it goes live.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:36 am
  • Uffda wrote:Just found out that this weekends beta was a months old version. Since this was a stress test, was much lag and they had to bring the server down for fixes.

They have changed alot of things like being able to skip the starter islands added collision detection, the crates trunks in the world are instanced for each character. Tweaked alot of quests and balanced templates.

Targeting is strange, identifying group members in a crowd is tough, lack of a mini-map is a huge oversight. No option for integrated voice communication. Tons of issues imo.

If you're going to do an MMO, at least produce something comparable to games that have been around for years from the standpoint of functionality.

I'd also add that I hate the first person POV by default and the impact it has on peripheral vision around your character as well as the targeting (yes, I already brought up targeting) mechanics. I don't think any MMO that involves PVP (on any level) or group combat should default to a first person POV.

Lack of a healing class (versus casters that can utilize a healing staff) will limit the game with regard to group play, organized encounters (boss fights), etc.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:37 am
  • First person POV, took a second ? to use the middle mouse to scroll back, tada. Was it on by default ?

I dislike first person, wasn't problem for me, though I never play games in first person anyway. I spend abit of time changing the controls to work the way I prefer in every game, wish they'd add a toggle to make the keybinds work on each character, so you don't have to set them again when you start a new character.

Did you know that they have a addon system up and being tested ?, everything you've had in old mmos will be added to the game, by players.(don't have to wait and hope for the devs to add it.) Every Elder Scrolls game were better because of addons that are made by the playerbase.

Mini maps, chat bubbles etc... Personally, I'd want character nameplates , FOV slider also.

Healing classes ?, every class can be that, equip a resto staff, or can wait until your second hotbar after 15th level, though some templates like Templar are better at that.
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:51 pm
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:
    Uffda wrote:Just found out that this weekends beta was a months old version. Since this was a stress test, was much lag and they had to bring the server down for fixes.

Targeting is strange, identifying group members in a crowd is tough, lack of a mini-map is a huge oversight. No option for integrated voice communication. Tons of issues imo.

If you're going to do an MMO, at least produce something comparable to games that have been around for years from the standpoint of functionality.

I'd also add that I hate the first person POV by default and the impact it has on peripheral vision around your character as well as the targeting (yes, I already brought up targeting) mechanics. I don't think any MMO that involves PVP (on any level) or group combat should default to a first person POV.

Lack of a healing class (versus casters that can utilize a healing staff) will limit the game with regard to group play, organized encounters (boss fights), etc.

While you've nailed on a lot of points that were my general complaints about the game from various betas.

A few of which I can live with i.e. lack of a mini map. The compass at the top works for me.
    VOIP like how SOE does, I dont know that's more of a luxury imo. Its fairly cheap now a days to have one or if you have the bandwidth host one. I pay 30$ a year for a 50 man Mumble server. When I originally did the test, I was invited back in December and have been in one every weekend since. And they've by far made some leaps and bounds.

The targeting I agree, as I've played quite a few MMO's, started with Ultima Online, and the list goes on. And while each has had its own sort of targeting, the common thing between them minus Ultima Online was, tab targeting. It took me a few weekends to understand that in ESO the tab targeting is more for focus targeting, rather then just tabbing around.

And as for lacking a Healing class, for me thats a half and half. The Templar and Sorcerer seem to be the go to people for healing.

Overall is it something Ill buy? Maybe/Maybe Not. I'll give it a month to see how everything is and going. Is there still work to be done? Yes of course. The main issue I'm seeing right now? They seem to be stuck between MMO and An Elder Scrolls Game. I don't think there's enough to say its a solid MMO or enough to say its a solid Elder Scrolls game. And because of that I think it won't reach it full potential. There is also a lot still that hasn't been tested that's not in it either. Such as adventure maps, and Raid content. And I'm sure that stuff will come the close people are to getting near the end.
    Division Campionships: AFC West: 1988, 1999 NFC West: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:35 pm
  • I was hoping this game would have a story/questing system like SWTOR with a combat and "world exploration" system like Skyrim/Oblivion. Too much to hope for, I guess.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 pm
  • I'm glad I actually listened to my senses for once. I wanted this game to be awesome. I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan. The concept of this game seemed so huge and a too good to be true deal for me. So I took the wait and see approach, I haven't heard a whole lot of good things so far
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 pm
  • Speaking of SWOTR. Did they ever fix that game Roland. It is a super awesome game to level in, but the pvp and end game ruined it for me. I guess since it is free to play now I can see for myself. Another game that really disappointed me
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 pm
  • funny enough for me SWTOR has been for me the thing to be blowing time for now. "Shrug" EA/bioware still adding stuff but I don't know seems like a cash sink at times.

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 am
  • EA draining you of money? You don't say!?!? Lol. What a horrible company. There is a reason that of all the companies to choose from they consistently get chosen as the worst company.
    City Of Reign
    NET Rookie

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:44 am
  • Love the Elder Scrolls series, Hate MMORPG because it is a bunch of punks playing murder hobo thieves (break in somebody's house, kill them, take their crap, repeat...).

I prefer the story based quests in the stand alone games (I like fallout of the same reason)

Sorry - I'm not in on an online version.

I may play the hell out of Oblivion/Skyrim for a couple months, then not touch it for 6 - my playing patterns and desire for story based quests don't match with online.
    ChiefHawk
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am
  • They've improved PvP balance in SWTOR and added more maps and game modes, but it's still largely gear-based, which is annoying. Galactic Starfighter is pretty cool, though. I'd check that out for sure.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:16 am
  • So I've been messing around with it. Got a tauntaun from Hoth.. what a pita but then again im on a PvP server, The Bastion. I got toons on The Harbringer and JungMa .. but none of them are max .. been toying with SWTOR and D3 now with the new update.

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 am
  • Don't know if anyone is playing ESO but I am and having fun. Not really in any guilds just sort of enjoying leveling up and doing some crafting.

hit me up, @kcjonez37 if anyone else is playing.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Wed May 14, 2014 8:16 pm
  • @Rushlite here.

The wife and I are former hardcore raiders that, since having a kid, have slowed down considerably. Still fun to pewpew in random MMO's still but its generally a time killer after the kid goes to bed. Enjoying ESO a little bit. I've probably made 50 characters just to delete them and try different builds already lol. Current favorite, Nightblade with Heavy Armor spec'd into Siphon/1H/Shield. Trying out the Dragonknight now.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu May 15, 2014 4:12 am
  • Stormwall here, DC part.

Main is Templar/sword and board with multiple armor types, so they can level abit, at the moment. Have changed it afew times, so multiple variations, have alts that are in every alliance though they have started to become pack mules for the main at the moment.

I like the game also, relaxing and has an ok difficulty, nice storylines and quest objectives.

In no rush to hit the end game VR parts, haven't done any pvp yet, never been the important parts of games to me actually .
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 am
  • I played and enjoyed the beta but I didn't pick up my pre-order when it came out.

I'll likely pick it up when the price drops, if only cos Kate Beckinsale.
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

Thu May 29, 2014 4:51 pm
  • just cancelled. Trying out some SWTOR now.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:04 pm
  • Yup canceled, picked up Wildstar.. sitgin in server Q.. not a fan of the art BUT the humor and housing needles to say it what sparked my interest.

The Radish
    Exittium
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:10 pm
  • I was just watching a live stream with the dev's from Wildstar. Gotta say, it looks pretty cool. Not sure I wanna pull the trigger on 60 bucks just yet but that stream just did them good.
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:24 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information