Why is my video card so expensive now?

For all of our NFL Fantasy and gaming enthusiasts. RATING: PG
Why is my video card so expensive now?
Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:57 pm

• The rise to prominence of SLI and Crossfire means video cards retain value a lot easier and longer, and if the manufacturers don't make enough of them to the point where there are still a ton available a year later...You see the result. Those are the same exact card. The good news, however, is that you can use any 7950 with the same clock speeds (or even just make sure the clock speeds match) and use Crossfire with it.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Re: Why is my video card so expensive now?
Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:11 am
  • Damn that's the cheapest one too. Can't find any on ebay for less than $300 either.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:22 am

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:02 am

• Nice...I'll probably be spending that much on my next video card for my next build...I think I'm just gonna start pocketing the money now.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• I would suspect 7950's are hard to find and still pricey because of their efficiency for mining bitcoin currency.
    253hawk
    NET Veteran

• 253 nailed it, you happened to buy a card that is very popular for mining. It's easy to overclock a 7950 and the compute performance is good for the power draw.

Newer video cards are better for gaming but ATI recent offerings have high power consumption to performance ratios and Nvidia has limited compute performance on their cards so as not to compete with their Titan.

[Quote=TH] AMD's architecture is proficient with the scrypt algorithm, which is memory bandwidth-intensive. And so miners are loading up on the cards able to give them the highest hash rates per watt. Unfortunately, AMD says there is nothing it can do to control the elevated prices on its cards; vendors are the ones jacking up the prices.[/quote]
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• A friend of mine just offered to sell me both of his Geforce 680 GTX's to go SLI for $400....FOR BOTH. I can probably sell my card for close to $300....so it looks like I lucked out!!!

fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ FANTASY ISLAND ]

Information