So I play ESPN Fantasy Football every year and usually join a random league for fun and to help prepare for my main league. This year I got dumped in the league from HELL run by the Lord of Flies, Beelzebub, himself.
1) In August we conduct our 3 hour live Auction draft. It's grueling, as Auction drafts tend to be when not all league members are present. But once the draft finally concluded I was thrilled with my team.
2) The next day Satan sends me an email saying that his friend, Adolph Hitler, couldn't make the Live draft so we were going to do it again. No, seriously, he wanted to 'redraft'. I politely explained that I was happy with my team and would prefer to leave things as they were but he informs me that he's already deleted those results. At this point I am filled with intrigue. Who does that? I agree to redraft.
3) So we 'redraft' and 3 hours later I am not as thrilled with my team. Oh, and his friend shows, makes two picks, then leaves - so it was totally worth it.
4) I consistently receive the most inane trade requests ever which I summarily decline only to be publicly vilified on the league message boards. "Your an idiot! I was giving you Reno Mahe, Gary Hogeboom and the festering jockstrap of Mosi Tatupu and all I wanted was Marshawn and Megatron", etc. Actually that's a better deal than most I was offered. Again I wonder, am I in the Official Short-Bus League?
5) The playoffs are closing in with Commissioner Satan a game out and headed toward the loser's bracket. Of course, the Prince of Darkness cannot allow such a slight to stand and thus employs the time-honored tactics he taught to Machiavelli. It started somewhat innocuously, an off-color insult aimed at the league's top team and posted to the league message board. It resulted in a flame war of epic proportions ending with the best team in the league getting booted out.
6) With the #1 team now gone, Lucifer elevates his squad to the playoffs. It strikes me that there is something vaguely familiar about what happened, redolent of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, something about creating a pretext to justify war...etc. But I have a life to attend to and pay it little heed.
7) My team now has the top seed and I win the first game of the playoffs by a healthy margin. Mephistopheles takes note. His team eeks out a playoff win in the other division but foresees that my squad is a threat to his world domination. That's when the comment came. Again, relatively mild, but enough to get me to respond. I'm on to him now so I refrain from ad-hominems, profanity, et al and merely point out that his leadership has been "questionable". That was all it took.
I am now booted from the league and the Devil wins again.
We weren't playing for anything so no big deal, but I am always a little taken aback when I discover that people like this actually exist.
Anyone else ever run into something similar?